CB500T Engine Project
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: CB500T Engine Project

CB500T Engine Project

Hi all,

Here's the bike in question (with tank off):
    CB500T Engine Project-img_0746.jpg

I posted a question here: https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/55...lve-issue.html

Long story short somethings up with my left intake valve and I have to take the engine off and dig into the head.

I started by removing the fuel tank, muffler, disconnecting all the various electrical components and was attempting to remove the cover over the chain on the engine when I noticed that a previous owner had done something unorthodox - replaced a philips screw with a hex (not allen key):

CB500T Engine Project-img_0748.jpgCB500T Engine Project-img_0747.jpg

Try as a might, I can't seem to get my wrenchs around the groove. And so for the first (of probably many) time I turn to the experts here: How do I get that bolt off?

Thanks!

I would take a dremel to the head of the bolt and make a small trench deep enough for a flat head screw driver to grab. Then use an impact hammer with the flat head bit to loosen it.
    Rscottp, fillmarr and ana1ysis like this.
    '76 CB500T Frankenbike
    '73 CL450 (basket case for now)

Carpe narem.

That makes perfect sense! I'll give it a shot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Worked great! Got the engine out and the head off
    !CB500T Engine Project-img_0771.jpgCB500T Engine Project-img_0772.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for - what do you guys think? Note that the left cylinder has a bit of oil and stuff where as the right cylinder is dry (the left intake valve was the source of the problem to begin with).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CB500T Engine Project-img_0770.jpg  
    Last edited by ana1ysis; 10-27-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Compare the look of the intake valves as they sit on their seats. You can see the edge of the wetter intake valve, near the outer edge of the combustion chamber, is raised up a little... that valve is bent. And there's some serious cam chain wear on the metal of the tensioner roller arm as well
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Thanks! I imagine I have to buy a new valve? Anything else? Should I take out the other cam (only took out the intake cam)? I'm going to measure the cylinder to make sure it's within spec, anything else I should check?

Okay so I'm still trying to get the valve out - I think I've removed everything (maybe not?) and I'm not sure what I need to do to physically remove the valve. CB500T Engine Project-img_0775.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ana1ysis View Post
    Okay so I'm still trying to get the valve out - I think I've removed everything (maybe not?) and I'm not sure what I need to do to physically remove the valve. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0775.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	744.2 KB 
ID:	267646

You'll just have to tap it out carefully with a punch, and hope you don't screw up the valve guide. I'd have a machinist check all the guides while it's apart - they're a relatively cheap fix.
    Bill Lane
    Honda Twins Founding Member

No advice, just info

'75 CB200T, '71 CB450 K4 Half-Breed, '72 CL350 (Sold), '81 CM200T, '72 C70M
    and a little red Chineeze scooter

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cb450-restoration

CB500T Engine Project

Is the suspected bent valve the stuck valve? My valves came out easily on my rebuild, so I’m guessing this going to be something you’ll need to fix. I didn’t replace mine b/c they seemed okay, though in hindsight I wish i had while I was there. Would love to hear what you end up doing, if you get new valve guides pressed in/honed, what that costs, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boston, MA. Proud owner of a $700, 1974 Honda CB450 K7 that doesn't run. Looking for advice on getting running and looking sharp. No need for perfection, but trying to show the bike some respect!

Will do - should I take all the valves out? I haven't even really touched the exhaust side (cam is still in).

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links