1969 CL350 Basket Case Project
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1969 CL350 Basket Case Project

1969 CL350 Basket Case Project

It's been awhile but I found another good candidate to restore and hopefully breathe new life into! Got another `69 CL350 basket case off craigslist with an extra CB engine and a few misc parts. I've just begun sorting through things but I think it's mostly there.

At $800 I think I have enough left in the budget to get it running again. My current `69 CL350 was in boxes when I got it and is pretty much completed. I still need to pull the engine for a rebuild and paint/polish so it will be good practice to see if I can get this new one together and running. Will try to post as things progress.

I've also put together a `72 CB350 so I am getting much better at it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1969 CL350 Basket Case Project-img_6776.jpg   1969 CL350 Basket Case Project-img_6778.jpg   1969 CL350 Basket Case Project-img_6779.jpg   1969 CL350 Basket Case Project-img_6781.jpg   1969 CL350 Basket Case Project-img_6782.jpg  

Kenny Likins
    Seattle, WA, USA
    1969 Honda CL350 K1
    1962 Ford Falcon Tudor Sedan
    http://www.redfalken.com

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em!" - Webb Wilder

Interesting pipe/muffler joint. Was the top pipe sawed off at some point and then had a spigot welded on the muffler to clamp it back on? The seat looks like a '68...
    1969 Honda CL350
    1983 H-D XLX-61 Sportster

Quote Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
    Interesting pipe/muffler joint. Was the top pipe sawed off at some point and then had a spigot welded on the muffler to clamp it back on? The seat looks like a '68...
    I think it was sawed off. I need to look a little closer when I have time. All the ones i've seen have the top pipe as part of the muffler.

You are right on the seat. A `69 would have pleats. And I think the tank is a `68 as well. The `69s had a colored stripe added just below the top painted section. I'm guessing sometime over the last 50 yrs someone replaced them. The serial number on the frame indicates it was a `69.

And does anyone know about the chromed muffler guard? I've seen them before but I thought the factory ones were painted black.
    Kenny Likins
    Seattle, WA, USA
    1969 Honda CL350 K1

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em!" - Webb Wilder

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, the factory muffler shield was black. I've seen a few others that were chromed - I always wondered why Honda put a black heat shield on a bike that had chrome all over it and bright-colored paint. Honda supplied some of the really early '69 models with '68 pattern tanks on them, so it's hard to tell if that's the original tank or not. I suppose some could have had the '68 seat, too. Only the early '69 models had the front fender reflector, so I guess it's possible that some '68 parts found their way onto it at the factory. It's interesting that both the '68 and '69 were called K0 models, and the '70 was a K2. Although you sometimes see the '69 called a K1, I wonder why the '69 wasn't called a K1 in the factory literature?
    1969 Honda CL350
    1983 H-D XLX-61 Sportster

I don't usually find much on Amazon for my CL350 but I was doing a Google search for these fork rubber insulators and sure enough, there was an NOS pair for $10/each, free shipping! Didn't believe it until they arrived. Looks like an old Honda dealership was cleaning their warehouse.

I'll put these on my orange `69 as the ones on this red CL aren't too bad.

1969 CL350 Basket Case Project-img_6874.jpg
    Kenny Likins
    Seattle, WA, USA
    1969 Honda CL350 K1

Things are progressing and it's slowly but surely taking up less space in my garage so I can get going on the engine. Missing a few things but nothing major.

Harness is in good shape but I noticed something odd. The winker module is located by the battery box. I think it will end up hanging under the starter relay. Uses the same bracket and rubber holder as my other `69 but its is located up by the coils. Hangs off one of the bolts that hold the coils and horn on to the frame.

If you have a stash of extra parts and want to sell some in a bundle, PM me. I will post over in the parts wanted forum too with more info.

- Buddy peg x2
    - Rear fender/toolbox rubber insulator
    - Mirror x2
    - Grab bar
    - Seat prop rod
    - Rubber cushion centerstand
    - Round rubber seat bumper x1
    - Muffler supports (both top and front to downtube)
    - Half of pipe support that attaches to swingarm bolt

1969 CL350 Basket Case Project-1969cl350_2.jpg1969 CL350 Basket Case Project-1969cl350_1.jpg

Thanks for looking!
    Kenny Likins
    Seattle, WA, USA
    1969 Honda CL350 K1

Can anyone tell me what the number 12 with an up arrow above means on these ART pistons? They caliper at 2.495". Was thinking it means 12 over but thought I read that they usually go .25 over, .50 over, etc.

Thanks!

1969 CL350 Basket Case Project-img_7435.jpg
    Kenny Likins
    Seattle, WA, USA
    1969 Honda CL350 K1

Wow I'm not sure how I missed this one! I'm on Craiglist 24/7 and I don't believe I ever saw this one. Cool deal.
    1975 CB400F
    1972 CL175K6

Those are just casting marks, I don't think they have a specific meaning. The size would be stamped in the dome if oversize

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/48...-markings.html
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Thanks for the info! That makes more sense. I'm always happy to learn something new. The cylinder bores are 2.52" and I think a hone should clean them up. Then a new set of rings and I can start putting things back together.

Now if I can just get that last top ring out!! It's really stuck and I don't want to damage the groove.
    Kenny Likins
    Seattle, WA, USA
    1969 Honda CL350 K1

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links