CB450 - Project or not? - Page 3
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: CB450 - Project or not?

I like the idea. I did chrome on my fenders and tank because it was simpler, but I like the look of silver with the red frame, very limited CL77-ish (except I made my chain guard satin black and headlight mounts polished aluminum to break things up a bit). Do it!
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

I like it, I'd put a small wing logo on the tank(less busy), and alloy or chrome rims(they make the tires stand out and good tires look good)

Red is righteous! Rustolem Red is a close match for the Honda Racing Red. The black is a Duplicolor Black match color. This is a working man's 450. Some day I would like to get a good paint job, chrome and upholstery.

CB450 - Project or not?-jim-s-cb450.jpg
    Jim Palmer
    '85 GL1200I (Garage Find)
    '81 GL1100 STD (Project)
    CB450 K5 Done
    https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...s-cb450k5.html
    What I learned from Restoring a CB450 K5
    Watch Mike and Jim Take on Mt Erie Washington State
    "If everything seems under control you are not going fast enough" Mario Andretti...

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JamesPal View Post
    Red is righteous! Rustolem Red is a close match for the Honda Racing Red. The black is a Duplicolor Black match color. This is a working man's 450. Some day I would like to get a good paint job, chrome and upholstery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jim's CB450.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	244050
    Jim
    How do your colours withstand the elements, scratches etc.? I know if I'm gonna do it on my own it certainly won't be perfect but I will at least use suitabe paint.
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T
    1972 CB450 K5 - in progress

Meanwhile I took some measurements in the cylinders. I knew I couldn't do a precision measurement because I was to parsimonious to get a micrometer or at least a real good caliper but the dial bore gauge gave me a good clue about the state of the cyclinders. Assuming but not certain that the old pistons were the original 70mm pistons (Yes, Honda is printet on the sides but I think I saw overbore pistons with the same print as well somewhere) I measured some impressive rust pits of up to 0,25mm deep all around the cylinder walls. No wonder considering the history of this bike. However, with a theoretical minimum bore of +0,5mm in any case I decided to order a nice pair of 71mm pistons on Ebay.

CB450 - Project or not?-img_7780.jpg

They were send from Tokio to NY within 3 days but needed another 1 1/2 weeks from the NY to DC. Not that I'm in a hurry with my project but isn't it strange sometimes? Anyway, they arrived, I'm happy and so I'm planning to bring them to the shop tomorrow.

CB450 - Project or not?-img_7971.jpg

I also found and bought a new cyclinder head on Ebay cause I thought that the two broken fins will be kind of annoying after all the effort. Two days later the seller cancelled the transaction cause he dropped the head at the post office and broke... guess what? Right, two fins... I was suspicious at first cause it was almost too cheap for the condition as shown in the pictures. I thoght the seller might have had second thoughts but we stayed in touch and he send me a picture. It shouldnt be this one.. too bad...
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T

I've got the cylinders back last week. The machinist said it was indeed a good idea to go for the 71mm pistons. That gave him enough space to eliminate all of the extensive rust pits. Unfortunately I will have to conserve the cylinders and put it securely in a box like all the other parts, because I will have to move abroad in a couple of weeks as I already mentioned earlier. My plan for now is to have most of the parts as machined, processed, primed and so on as possible before me and my family leave the country. The moving is quite an untertaking so there will be a delay of some months before life is established enough to reengage in this project. It's just realistic to think that the assembly won't take place before the summer of 2019....sigh...

CB450 - Project or not?-img_6861.jpg
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T

That's a shame... hate to see a situation where you're on the verge of it going back together and have to put everything on hold. Of course, if I'd known then what I know now (as in, hindsight is 20/15) I wouldn't have been so excited about a year ago myself, knowing it would come back apart only a couple months later and still be apart almost a year to the month it last ran. Good things come to those who wait, isn't that the old saying? still, not much consolation. Make sure the fresh bore is oiled up nicely so the freshly-cut steel won't rust
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    ... hate to see a situation where you're on the verge of it going back together and have to put everything on hold...
    Yes, indeed! It almost hurts.
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T

Send out the rockers to Delta Camshaft for resurfacing today. Don't know why I've waited so long...
    CB450 - Project or not?-img_8128.jpg
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T

The colours have arrived so if I don't change my mind last minute it will be a silver/red CB77ish colour scheme.

CB450 - Project or not?-img_8149.jpg
    JamesPal likes this.
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links