CB450 - Project or not? - Page 29
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: CB450 - Project or not?

Quote Originally Posted by FrisianWheel View Post
    I was actually wondering if the rear sprocket really needs a continuous oil flow, no matter how little, but didn't dare to question it. I think I've seen some minor mistakes in the FSM but I must admit that I have problems to mistrust the designs of hondas engenious engineers. Especially without a long history in motorcycle tinkering.
    Using an auto-oiler for the chain wouldn't be bad if not for the lack of retention qualities with motor oil, it doesn't cling at all and would make a mess of the bike in short order. I'm still using a can of PJ-1 chain lube that I bought for my second CBX... back in 1991. It clings really well as it thickens up after application - but you can't get the engine to dispense that!
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Basically all they do is make a mess and waste engine oil on the ground. Its a designed in leak IMO. Seal it off and use good chain lube. I had one in my engine when I got it, I replaced that shaft with the later version.

Quote Originally Posted by frogman79 View Post
    Basically all they do is make a mess and waste engine oil on the ground. Its a designed in leak IMO. Seal it off and use good chain lube. I had one in my engine when I got it, I replaced that shaft with the later version.
    Actually, I think he has the non-oiler countershaft already... one less thing to deal with, including the mess
    Tom

Budget drag bike project

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Yep, I've got the non oiler version but I wasn't aware that Honda turned back to that version after the K3. So I wondered if it has been changed by someone.
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T
    1972 CB450 K5 - in progress

One of the spare engines I have was equipped with the oiler, the other didn't have it. I'll check the engine number next time I'm in the garage to see what it is, you've got me curious. With so little trouble the 450s had with transmission shafts and bearings (at least in my experience), it would be unusual that your countershaft would have been replaced
    Tom

Budget drag bike project

Quote Originally Posted by FrisianWheel View Post
    Yep, I've got the non oiler version but I wasn't aware that Honda turned back to that version after the K3. So I wondered if it has been changed by someone.
    So I checked the engine number on the spare bottom end I took the oiler out of, and it's 4116844 - which makes it a K4 and in all likelihood with the original countershaft. Just means we don't know for sure what Honda did... but rarely do I feel critical of their achievements, we always have to remember the technology of the era
    Tom

Budget drag bike project

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    I just realized where it is, and I wonder if the sealing ring of the head gasket on that side might be compromised by the gouge. Perhaps a little high-temp JB Weld, fully cured and sanded smooth and flat, might help ensure the sealing ring for that cylinder doesn't develop a leak later
    Coming back to my issue with the small dent in the cylinder head: Is high temp JB epoxy weld really sufficient for that job? It sais that it holds up to continuos 500°C. But the dent is partly visible underneath the metal part of the head gasked. So it is basically exposed to the combustion chamber. Wouldn't it be better to measure the dent (probably arund 0,5mm) and get it machine levelled?
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T

I'm not sure of the JB Weld thought, it was an just idea to possibly avoid having to surface the head enough to clear up the depth of the gouge in the head. I wondered how much of the gouge (dent) was under, or on the inside of, the head gasket sealing ring diameter. If you put the head gasket over a couple of the knock (dowel) pins in the head to properly line it up over the combustion chamber, you could post a picture of how it looks
    Tom

Budget drag bike project

This is how it looks. I also realized that the gasket holes at the oil side are much too big for a proper alignment. New gasket?

Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T

Yes, it looks like the gouge/dent is right under the sealing ring... sad. However, the size of the holes in the gasket on the oiling side is correct - remember the flat o-rings go around the knock pins there.
    Tom

Budget drag bike project

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Sponsored Links