CB450 - Project or not? - Page 2
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: CB450 - Project or not?

The vinegar test looks very promising. So I've put the seat plate with vinegar in a garbage sack and pulled most of the air out. Think I let it sit for a week or so. It is very rusty...

CB450 - Project or not?-img_7723.jpg
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T
    1972 CB450 K5 - in progress

Quote Originally Posted by FrisianWheel View Post
    As I said already: I knew what I got and I was prepared. Seized engine - ok... damaged crank - no problem... but WTF made this happen...? Someone must have hated this bike a lot... There's a hint for those of you who can't recognize the pictured part
    Ok, there was a quite an amount of debris in the engine and a small metal piece in the case but this really makes me wonder. Especially since the cam chain didn't look too bad. Has anyone seen anything similar?
    More and more often I'm having this Kennedy moonlanding quote in mind and think to myself: "I'm not re-building this motorcycle because it it easy; I'm doing it because it is hard." Haha..
    I can't speak for others here, but I've personally never seen that particular roller in that bad a condition... and I've worked on some pretty neglected 450 engines in the past. NOS will be pretty pricey for that roller and a good used one might be hard to find
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    I can't speak for others here, but I've personally never seen that particular roller in that bad a condition... and I've worked on some pretty neglected 450 engines in the past. NOS will be pretty pricey for that roller and a good used one might be hard to find
    Tom
    I found one on eBay which is not perfect but certainly good enough for this bike...

So time for a little quiz game. Who can find the 17 differences between the two rollers? A small hint: It isnt the badge.

CB450 - Project or not?-img_7801.jpg
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

That roller is out of control!
    What an undertaking, you're a brave man. I liked the look of your tank as well.
    1975 500T
    1971 CL450
    1970 Norton Commando S

Quote Originally Posted by HondaPete89 View Post
    That roller is out of control!
    What an undertaking, you're a brave man. I liked the look of your tank as well.
    Well, it's certainly an undertaking but to be honest: I find it more interesting and also more rewarding when there's plenty of crispy rust on top. I don't know if I can get it back on the road but I can see progress on each and every little piece that I've worked on. It keeps me motivated this way and I also like the challange.

The roller is a different story. I'm still puzzled how this bike could have run and what noises it must have made...
    ancientdad likes this.
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T

Here’s the same roller from my ‘74 CB450 and it’s replacement. This bike was running with this thing in there and I noticed it when I started to do a valve adjustment. Tough old Hondas will run if they can!
    Good luck with bringing your bike back from the dead, but be careful because it is addicting. Don’t ask me how I know...
    CB450 - Project or not?-7ff5861b-3187-4a13-b73e-f9c23b06b0a2.jpg
    Runners
    1971 Triumph Tiger
    1972 CL350
    1974 XL350
    1974 CB450

Current Project
    1966 CB450 Black Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by 12ozPBR View Post
    ...but be careful because it is addicting. Donít ask me how I know...
    Click image for larger version.†

Name:	7FF5861B-3187-4A13-B73E-F9C23B06B0A2.jpg†
Views:	171†
Size:	13.4 KB†
ID:	242857
    Think I've got a clue already how addicting this is. This was supposed to be a parts bike for my other 450 K5 in the first place, and now it looks like a real project. I think I know already what's missing when this is finished: another parts bike?
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T

Since the weather is warming up now in DC, I took advantage of it and started to clean my crispy crusty frame. Yesterday I've removed most of the paint with paint stripper and a large wire brush. It worked quite well. Today I did a second round with a rotating wire brush on a drill and the frame looks not to bad afterwards. Next steps will be sanding, sanding and doing all the little details before I finally clean the whole thing. So, time to start thinking about the colour...

CB450 - Project or not?-img_7837.jpgCB450 - Project or not?-img_7839.jpg
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T

Quote Originally Posted by FrisianWheel View Post
    So, time to start thinking about the colour...
    Red!
    chaindrivecharlie likes this.
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

CB450 - Project or not?

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Red!
    Well, looks like we have the something in commonÖ

I was thinking about the color scheme already for a while. Originally I wanted to paint the bike in a dark blue, light and dark grey, silver and black combination. So I started playing around with photoshop trying different colour combinations. When playing around with other colours it hit me - boom - red.

Iíve always loved Hondas classic red and silver color scheme of the 60ís but never actually thought of doing something like that. What I really like about the color scheme is that the red and silver appears more of an integral part that ranges from the front fender throughout the whole bike to the rear fender rather than just the colored tank and side covers within a merely black and chrome bike. Donít get me wrong: I have a beautiful 450 K5 in original bacchus green (which is actually a blue metal flake with a yellow clear coat) but I think that the 60ís silver/red is stronger concept wise.

I also like that the red frame makes the whole bike look so much more plastically and makes the details sparkle a lot better than the black frame. Also itís sooo classic. So, I think of the project now as a 70ís 450 with classic 60ís colours. Since my plan (for now) is to do just a very, very mild resto-mod, the colors will define the build.

Iím not sure if itís clear in the picture but the fenders are supposed to represent the silver grey. I hope itís not too difficult to spray. So here is my technical question. Can someone recommend suitable silver and red spray bombs? Yes, I donít want to powder coat because this is my learning project. And I even learn something when the paint fails

CB450 - Project or not?-colour-scheme.jpg

The tail light is incorrect cause scaled down for the effect... made the seat look 1 inch thinner... Pegs and stands probably changed to red... unsure about the headlight...
    Last edited by FrisianWheel; 04-24-2018 at 05:10 AM.
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links