James Adams - My CB400N restoration - Page 3
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: James Adams - My CB400N restoration

Quote Originally Posted by fxray View Post
    Good luck with your new project. Are you permanently joining the ranks of us slacker retirees then?
    Ray
    Thank you Ray. I'd like to be able to join the ranks of the retired old motorcycle fanatics but I need an income as well as my wife's Council pension otherwise I don't have sufficient funds to do a proper job! Not without severely annoying the wife anyway by not leaving enough money for food!

Tyres (Tires, sorry!) are £120 plus, fork stanchions need re-chroming (£200 plus), sprockets and chain £60 at least and that's just for starters! Overhaul kit for the brake master cylinder, two sets of front brake pads, who knows what condition the rear drum is in. You see my predicament? I need another job, pronto!

Or rob a bank . . . . . . . ?
    Last edited by james adams; 02-15-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Frame is a bit rusty as well along with faded switchgear . . . .

James Adams - My CB400N restoration-rusty-spine.jpg James Adams - My CB400N restoration-rusty-front-spine.jpg James Adams - My CB400N restoration-faded-switchgear.jpg

More rust under the side-panels but PO removed the battery so no acid spillage . . . .

James Adams - My CB400N restoration-rectifier.jpg James Adams - My CB400N restoration-battery-carrier.jpg

Gear linkage is seized up with rust but the rubber boots seem OK. Chainguard is plastic so no rust which I'm grateful for as I'm still fabricating a new one for my CD200

James Adams - My CB400N restoration-gear-linkage.jpg James Adams - My CB400N restoration-plastic-chainguard.jpg
    Last edited by james adams; 02-16-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Seats a bit rusty . . .

James Adams - My CB400N restoration-under-seat-pan.jpg

Look what I found under it though, although the toolbox lid is missing . . . .

James Adams - My CB400N restoration-original-toolkit.jpg

A complete, original toolkit!

Master cylinder has seen better days. Switchgear is badly faded . . . .

James Adams - My CB400N restoration-nasty-master-cylider.jpg James Adams - My CB400N restoration-faded-switchgear.jpg

Started to take the pannier brackets off but need to drill the head off this bolt on both sides as it's the only one of six that is welded in place with rust!

James Adams - My CB400N restoration-stuck-bolt.jpg James Adams - My CB400N restoration-bracket-almost-off.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Rear light and tail mudguard removed

James Adams - My CB400N restoration-rear-light-removed.jpg James Adams - My CB400N restoration-rusty-rear-light-underside.jpg

A few more views of the engine for reference later. . . . .

James Adams - My CB400N restoration-grow-summat-here.jpg James Adams - My CB400N restoration-left-carb.jpg James Adams - My CB400N restoration-top-carb-engine.jpg

Once I've got the pannier brackets off out the way I can start to strip the rest of the bike. Hopefully I won't have to drill anymore bolts out. Hah!

Great find James!

Bet the CD is feeling jealous though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James, You've taken on quite the project, but your work with the CD200 proves your capability. I've seen tons of rusted parts, but I somehow don't remember ever seeing shift linkage where the chrome has failed enough to let the rust take over like this. Another first!
    It's hard to have too many motorcycles, but easy to have too many batteries and tires.

1971 CL350K3
    1970 CB450K3
    Plus a few non-Hondas

Super Moderator longdistancerider's Avatar
    Rusty crusty old bikes, gotta love them. I think the original shift linkage on these was either painted or plated, not chrome, but then again I've never seen that in person. The tool box lid may not exist, the US CM/CB 400 didn't have one.
    Jim O'Brien
    1979 CM400T "road bike" modified for travelling
    1978 CB400T1 restored
    1972 CL350 survivor restoration

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22...d-attempt.html and https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...r-attempt.html
    Road Trip https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/11...here-i-go.html or "where's Jim now?"
    Member Map https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/dcMembermap.php

Quote Originally Posted by fxray View Post
    I somehow don't remember ever seeing shift linkage where the chrome has failed enough to let the rust take over like this.
    Tell me about it! My first viewing was rather cramped and in semi-shadow in the garage I thought it was OK. Obviously I was wrong. Two of the rubber boots are split as well and the plating, chrome or otherwise, has been replaced by rust!

Normally I would source a better item on ebay, there are a few about, and maybe I will have to buy the boots (there's a few new ones about of them too), but seeing as funds are rather limited (ie non-existent) I will have to strip back the rust and paint it black or silver. I've a lot of stainless nuts and bolts left over from the 200 so I should be able to find some that fit. (Anyone who followed my CD200 thread will know that won't happen!)

Plan is to keep taking parts off, get it down to the frame then start removing rust and dodgy paint. I've learnt from experience not to paint below 20 degrees centigrade (CD200 thread again!) so that will happen when the sun comes out again!

For now, it's removing, tagging, bagging and photographing. Unless the mrs. requires my presence elsewhere . . . . . .
    fxray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by longdistancerider View Post
    Rusty crusty old bikes, gotta love them.
    I do! As long as the rust hasn't eaten through the metal and left a hole, because my welding skills are zero! The front mudguard (fender!) has bad rust and is thin in places. Can't afford £60 for a pattern part but I can afford to wire brush, grind, fill and paint it to make it look good until happier times. (More disposable income. MUCH more!) I'd have a garage sale but it's just junk. I'd be lucky to make 20 quid!

Forks need re-chroming, they're badly pitted. Er, they may have to wait a while as well . . . . . . . .

Your shifter setup looks the same as my 1982 ft500 ascot. (less the rust)
    1978 cb400a
    1978 cb400a
    1979 cm400t
    1981 cm400t
    1982 cb450t silver
    1982 cb450t silver
    1982 cb450t black
    1984 vt500ft Ascot red
    1984 vt500ft Ascot black
    1982 ft500 Ascot black
    1982 ft500 Ascot red
    1980 CM400a