James Adams - My CB400N restoration - Page 2
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: James Adams - My CB400N restoration

Been crawling about underneath the bike with a torch earlier. Lots of rust as expected. The swingarm is especially rusty, though at least the pivot points have grease nipples and thankfully look a stage better than the rubber bushes I had to burn and cut out of the CD. These look like bearings under dust seals so here's hoping! Although rusty, everything on the bike looks as though after it's been removed, wire-brushed, de-greased, rust-proofed and painted it will go back on the bike looking a million times better.

The front brakes are dual disks, single piston calipers as on the Honda CX500, and probably retard the CB400N much better as it's a much lighter bike than the CX! There's no resistance when pressing the front brake lever though so the brake fluid is probably gone or turned to water so a full refurbishment there then. Clutch works really well though. I'm hoping to get this bike looking good on a minimal outlay, as the wife is fairly accurate with a rolling pin! I have lots of paints left from my other project so that will save some money. And I have all the tools now as well so that's another saving.

The twin carburetors are badly oxidized, and the metal linkages are really rusty so that will be a nice cleaning job all on it's own. One £20 carb refurb kit for the insides sometime in the future too! It's twin push-pull throttle cables as well and they are really stiff. They were a pain on my CX as well but I didn't pull that bike apart. Wish I had done now and kept it, it's become a bit of a classic!

PO was a nice bloke, said the bike turned over a couple of years ago and squirting WD40 in made the engine catch so I've decided to take him at his word and start to strip the bike presuming that it will start later when required. The last bike did after 13 years so this one should. They are Hondas, after all!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this thread and all you new spanner twirlers out there learn from the mistakes that I am most definitely going to make!
    ancientdad likes this.

Brilliant news James.

I think I envy you. If I didn't have the Hornet to satisfy my occasional need for speed, I'd have looked out for a bigger ( than 175 ) old Honda to play with.

At least you've rescued the 400 from the café racer brat bike brigade ...
    james adams likes this.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Pitman View Post
    Brilliant news James.

At least you've rescued the 400 from the café racer brat bike brigade ...
    I most definitely have Richard! Mind you, to return it to a twin pipe, twin silencer bike with downpipes, collector box and silencers is a couple of quid short of £300. So I've an idea the two-into-one that's already fitted will have to stay for a while.

The lack of money is due to me handing in my notice to an NHS branch of care that I work with for reasons that will have to stay nameless. So for now it's dismantling, de-rusting and painting with what I already have. Now if it would just warm up a bit outside I can empty the garage of non-bike related stuff and throw it up the garden out of the way to make me some room to spin some spanners . . . . . .!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

It looks to be the same bike as my 1982 cb450t hawk James Adams - My CB400N restoration-00j0j_i5aghlr82dk_1200x900.jpgJames Adams - My CB400N restoration-1982-cb450t.jpgplus minus a part or two. I like it very nice bike
    james adams and Immer54 like this.
    1978 cb400a
    1978 cb400a
    1979 cm400t
    1981 cm400t
    1982 cb450t silver
    1982 cb450t silver
    1982 cb450t black
    1984 vt500ft Ascot red
    1984 vt500ft Ascot black
    1982 ft500 Ascot black
    1982 ft500 Ascot red
    1980 CM400a
    1972 xs650
    1981 CB400t
    I use to know stuff back when I was older
    Barry

Super Moderator longdistancerider's Avatar
    Looks to be the 6 speed version according to CMSNL fiche.
    Jim O'Brien
    1979 CM400T "road bike" modified for travelling
    1978 CB400T1 restored
    1972 CL350 survivor restoration

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22...d-attempt.html and https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...r-attempt.html
    Road Trip https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/11...here-i-go.html or "where's Jim now?"
    Member Map https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/dcMembermap.php

Quote Originally Posted by workdogz2 View Post
    It looks to be the same bike as my 1982 cb450t hawk
    It is but I have horrible gold painted comstar wheels, Soon to be painted like yours!

Quote Originally Posted by longdistancerider View Post
    Looks to be the 6 speed version according to CMSNL fiche.
    Yes it is Jim. To confirm it while I was crawling about under it I saw the gears one to six stamped on the left-hand case. Sixth is probably just an overdrive though, I can see the bike losing speed as soon as it's engaged on anything but a level motorway!

hi james, oooh dear, who has the restoration bug lolol, those pannier brackets are exactly what i need for my benly if you want to part with them i'll gladly pay a tidy sum for them ( you can keep the boxes for storage ) its just the brackets i'd be after...?
    1985 Honda cd 200 benly

Quote Originally Posted by Ghubca View Post
    those pannier brackets are exactly what i need for my benly if you want to part with them i'll gladly pay a tidy sum for them ( you can keep the boxes for storage ) its just the brackets i'd be after...?
    You can have them with pleasure matey. PM me your address. It may be a while I can't get to it until I throw some (non bike related) stuff away!

Quote Originally Posted by james adams View Post
    . . . And I have all the tools now as well so that's another saving.
    A common argument for those of us in denial about our mcy habits. I now have another BMW R90/6 that doesn't show yet in my signature list. "You have the tools, some spares, and you spent all that time on the learning curve," I told myself.

Quote Originally Posted by james adams View Post
    . . . Sixth is probably just an overdrive though, I can see the bike losing speed as soon as it's engaged on anything but a level motorway!
    Oh ye of little faith!

Good luck with your new project. Are you permanently joining the ranks of us slacker retirees then?

Ray
    workdogz2 likes this.
    It's hard to have too many motorcycles, but easy to have too many batteries and tires.

1971 CL350K3
    1970 CB450K3
    Plus a few non-Hondas

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links