Honda Twins banner

Pamco ignitions

221K views 1K replies 181 participants last post by  Yendor 
#1 ·
I was talking to Pamcopete on another forum and he said he was working on a Pamco ignition for the 450's..... Whoo-Hoo I don't mind points but it would be nice on these 450's to set and forget

Reactions: Mtkuga75
#2 ·
There are still ignitions out there. You just gotta look real hard and be prepared to pay for them. Either that or buy a Dyna and modify it voiding all warranty.. :roll:

Come to think of it I think you can buy a Hondaman ignition that still uses the stock points but only as a trigger, essentially making them last forever. The points I mean.

Additionally, Boretech offers an ignition.

I've started my own little collection amongst my NOS parts stash.
[attachment=2:8m4cq25c]S5030453.JPG[/attachment:8m4cq25c]
[attachment=1:8m4cq25c]S5030454.JPG[/attachment:8m4cq25c]
[attachment=0:8m4cq25c]S5030455.JPG[/attachment:8m4cq25c]

GB :mrgreen:

Attachments

#3 ·
Well, I'm back and I'm going to complete the work I started a couple of years ago on an ignition system for the CB350, 450. I had completed the prototype, but my attention was directed elsewhere, but now I will compete the project and offer new ignitions in about a month.

Here is a picture of the prototype that I did a couple of years ago:

I have completed the design for the 180 degree PC board and ordered 300 of them.

Email me for more information: pete@cbignition.com

#7 ·
have you decided on pricing yet?

#9 ·
I'm stewpid on this subject but...... Based on my Newtronics current draw, I'd think your design needs to keep the current draw way WAY down. The charging system on these bikes is minimal.

#10 ·
rich2,

The PAMCO electronics only uses 20ma (that's .020 Amp). The main current user is the coil, and a 4.5 Ohm coil uses 12.5/4.5 = 2.77 Amps when it is on. But, the coil is only on for 1/2 the time with the PAMCO, so the average current is 2.77 / 2 = 1.38 Amps plus the .020 Amps of the PAMCO itself, for a total of 1.58 Amps.

#11 ·
Well, I'm here to report on progress, or actually the lack of progress. I have not been able to find a suitable CB450 for development purposes. I only need a runner, nothing fancy, but no luck so far.

I have actually completed the design for the second PC board and ordered up 300 of them, along with a prototype of the rotor from my previous effort, so it's not that I am not in this for real, but I need a bike to complete the design and do the necessary tests. Any help would be appreciated, including a loaner that is available nearby to Rock Hill, SC.

#13 ·
We could use my bike for testing but it's about 1300 miles away. I'm competent with a wrench and electrics, we could do it by mail and a phone.

#18 ·
Got a bike!

1973 CB450. Perfect. That's the model that I started the development on a couple of years ago, so the final development should move pretty quickly. As I mentioned above, I already have the electronics,the PC board and the rotor done. Just have to do the final design on the plate and it will be ready to go.

I will be looking for a few Beta testers when I get to the first production stage. It will first come first serve with the following criteria:

1. Own a CB450 or CB350 Twin.
2. Ride on a regular basis, at least once a week.
3. Your bike must be running good as I do not want engine problems to affect the test results.
4. Report back with some observations after every ride. You can just say "No problems, 20 mile ride" if that is the case.
5. Detailed report on any installation difficulties.
6. Willing to change out any parts that are revised and continue reporting results.

The Beta testing will go on for no more than a month. You get to keep the ignition system, if you want to. The system will sell for $109.95 plus coils. The beta test units will not include new coils, but you can use your stock coils.

Pete

#19 ·
pamcopete said:
Got a bike!

1973 CB450. Perfect. That's the model that I started the development on a couple of years ago, so the final development should move pretty quickly. As I mentioned above, I already have the electronics,the PC board and the rotor done. Just have to do the final design on the plate and it will be ready to go.

I will be looking for a few Beta testers when I get to the first production stage. It will first come first serve with the following criteria:

3. Your bike must be running good as I do not want engine problems to affect the test results.
4. Report back with some observations after every ride. You can just say "No problems, 20 mile ride" if that is the case.
6. Willing to change out any parts that are revised and continue reporting results.

The Beta testing will go on for no more than a month. You get to keep the ignition system, if you want to. The system will sell for $109.95 plus coils. The beta test units will not include new coils, but you can use your stock coils.

Pete
I will happily test for you.
I ride 150~200mi per week and my engine is in great shape.
I'm riding a CB350, I would be testing w/ XS650 coils (the coils purchased from Mikes' XS).
PM me if you like.

#21 ·
thrilhou said:
pamcopete said:
Got a bike!

Pete
I will happily test for you.
I ride 150~200mi per week and my engine is in great shape.
I'm ridding a CB350, I would be testing w/ XS650 coils (the coils purchased from Mikes' XS).
PM me if you like.

OK. Just PM me your address and I will send you a system when it's ready. Might be in about three weeks.

What coils are you using?

Pete

#24 ·
You can count me in as well. I have a freshly rebuilt motor with Mike's XS coils that runs excellent!

I mainly ride on the weekends but for testing purposes I can ride whatever miles are necessary during the week and on weekends.

My email is mike@bmnellis.com

#25 ·
pamcopete said:
bobbyducati,

What are your riding habits? Every day? Once a week? Is your engine it top condition?

Pete
i ride pretty much everyday between my 3 bikes, weather permitting. i usually go thru streaks with a certian bike and ride it for a few weeks then mix in the other two. Id have no problem taking the honda out everyday, if need be the case. I cant say for sure its in "top condition" but it runs strong currently. If you are only looking for rebuilt, virtually new engines, id have to say pass on mine.

#26 ·
A small setback. The seller of the '73 CB450 has had some difficulty obtaining a new title for South Carolina, which was one of the conditions of the sale, and it may take a while to do so. So, I will look for another CB450 while waiting and whichever gets here first will be the one I use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.