Honda Twins banner

Headlight Problems - Fuse blows with motor running

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  skychs 
#1 ·
I'm sorting out a 1965 Honda CL72 250. The previous owner completely restored it, but never rode it. I ran into some grounding issues because the frame and many parts were powder coated, and when the grounds were connected there were not good metal contacts.

Everything electrical now works. The low and high headlight beams work with the motor off. However, with the motor running, turning on the headlight will blow the fuse. The taillight works fine, as does the brake light with motor running.

I have not looked into the headlight yet, but is there a specific ground wire for the headlamp in the bucket? Does this sound like a ground problem...or should I also be looking at something else?

Any directions are appreciated!

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Motorcycle

See less See more
#2 ·
Yikes, it looks like you're running a bit lean on that left cylinder. Nice looking motorcycle, though (although... is it missing a muffler?). I kind of like the silver, gray, primer, whatever it is coloring (although I like the old Hondas that have chrome on the tanks, too - mainly... I like old Hondas :) ). I'm glad to read that you saved a motorcycle from the silliness of existing in ridable condition but not being ridden. Kudos!

Did you replace the fuse that initially blew with a metric one, or an SAE one that isn't quite the same physical size and, therefore, is prone to blowing under load?

Regards,

#3 ·
I am running a 15A fuse that looks fairly standard to me. Where do you find the metric type fuses for a motorcycle?

Although I don't plan on making this a daily driver...I would like to get it out of the garage once in awhile and go for a ride.

Thanks-

#6 ·
Headlight blow fuses with motor running

I'm sorting out a 1965 Honda CL72 250. The previous owner completely restored it, but never rode it.

Everything electrical now works. The low and high headlight beams work with the motor off. However, with the motor running, turning on the headlight will blow the fuse. The taillight works fine, as does the brake light with motor running.

I have not looked into the headlight yet, but is there a specific ground wire for the headlamp in the bucket? Does this sound like a ground problem...or should I be looking at something else?

Any assistance is Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car
appreciated!

#10 ·
There are three positions...to the rear is "off", to the center is "start/run" with all electrics working, to the front is "Rear Lamp On" which I assume is like a parked/stop safety function. Thank you.

#8 ·
It'd have been better to use the Report Post function (that little triangle with the exclamation point inside it that is on the bottom left of every post) to ask a staff member to move the thread, instead of duplicating it. Now... I guess you can use the Report Post function to ask a staff member to consolidate the two so that you don't end up with some people responding in this one and some people responding in the other one (well... more than already have :rolleyes: ).

Regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.