CB400 Hawk Rear Suspension

Hey guys! I'm a new rider who just purchased a 1980 CB400 Hawk. I'm new to motorcycling as described here:
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/view...hp?f=4&t=11885

It looks like there are two silver reinforcing bars that attach at the rear set of pegs and terminate at the passenger grab rails. They are solid, and frankly, I haven't seen them on images of any other Hawk. Does anyone know what they are or have any more information on them? They look me like they are there to stiffen the rear suspension. I have noticed that there is little to no give in the rear shocks - making the bike basically a hardtail.

Thanks!

Stephen Lohmeyer,3839 Sun Valley Lane, Roanoke, Virginia 24014 540-525-5199Sixtysixsprint@aol.com

Re: CB400 Hawk Rear Suspension

Since they don't appear to connect to the swingarm, or block the motion of the shocks, they are probably meant as reinforcement to the rear seating area (heavy loads, fat pillion rider?).....Or possibly to keep soft saddlebags out of the moving part area/wheels/brakes/chain.....The rear shocks should be adjustable to some extent, perhaps they are just at their stiffest settings.....How much do you weigh?.....

I weigh about 150, so I doubt any reinforcing is needed!

I'm just curious because I haven't seen any other bikes with them.

if the previous owner carried a child or small person on the back, they might have been put there to stop legs getting caught up in the wheel?

Links