No power, help!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnnyB
  • 6 Post By J-T

Thread: No power, help!

No power, help!

Well, looks like the moment of truth is upon me, and I will now have to turn my attention to learning about electronics!

I have a 1979 CM400T. Purchased it a few months ago. I pulled off the carburetors and cleaned them up, and replaced the airbox with pods... Put everything back together and tried to start it up, but no power! Not sure what to do. Newbie.

Can somebody point me to a trouble shooting method that I can start with to see what the problem is? Perhaps there is something on the site already written up?

What's the first thing to look for?

Thanks again!
    1979 CM400T

If you are sure there is gas in the carbs the next step is to see if there are sparks being generated.
    Grab a metal wire and insert inside the plug that connects to the spark plugs. Hold the other end of the metal wire close to the engine block. When you start the engine you'll see a small spark.

Sparks ok: you probably tried to start too many times and the spark plugs are wet. If so, remove them or wait for them to dry out.

Not much else. Gas + sparks is what you are after.

Some tricks: hold half throttle while starting the engine. Use the choke. Hehe

Since it's a 79, you have a kicker. Pull one plug and see if you have a spark. (both plugs have to be grounded to the head ). Also make sure the start/run switch on the right hand switch pod is set to 'run'.
    1979 CM400T (rider),
    1981 CM400T (in surgery awaiting transplant)
    1982 CM450 (parts bike)
    1982 CB450 (parts bike)
    Past rides: Vincents, Triumph, BSA's, Suzuki's, Twingle, Corgy, others.
    Remember, today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.
    My chest fell, but, fortunately, my belt caught it.
    I don't know everything, nor, have I met the one who does.

T-shirt sales supporting 66Sprint's LSR Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Just to make sure we're on the same page here, I think you're saying there's no electrical power to anything, no lights, no horn, no starter. If so the first place to look is the fuse box. Using a test light or voltmeter ensure you have power at both ends of each fuse. You'll also want to be sure you have metric fuses. SAE fuses will go in the slots but won't always make a good connection.

You also want to check/clean/tighten the battery cables both at the battery and where they connect to the frame and the solenoid.

BTW the ignition system is separate from the rest of the electrical system so none of this has anything to do with whether you have spark.

Let us know what you find.
    JT
    81 CM400T Under re-construction
    82 GL500

Ahh, you have no power to anything. Different scenario. If you have no multimeter, it would be a good investment. Check to see that you have a fully charged battery and the battery cables are connected. then, as J-T said, check the fuses ... both ends of them ... for battery voltage.
    1979 CM400T (rider),
    1981 CM400T (in surgery awaiting transplant)
    1982 CM450 (parts bike)
    1982 CB450 (parts bike)
    Past rides: Vincents, Triumph, BSA's, Suzuki's, Twingle, Corgy, others.
    Remember, today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.
    My chest fell, but, fortunately, my belt caught it.
    I don't know everything, nor, have I met the one who does.

T-shirt sales supporting 66Sprint's LSR Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

OMG! I forgot to put the key into the ignition!

I had no electrical power...

I tried it again, put the key into the ignition, turned it, and the mother fired up immediately! FIRST TIME STARTING IT!

The mufflers are off, and boy, is it loud! (will be replacing mufflers)

I had unplugged some of the electronics earlier and thought I might have broken something or plugged something incorrectly...

I'm not used to this kind of bike - I normally ride a dirt bike that doesn't require any key!!!

Must have been tired - I spent a few hours installing the carburetors, throttle cables, and battery... Completely overlooked the key...!

Thanks for the quick help from everybody!

Electronics seem to work for now, although the turn signals were messed up, and the headlight didn't work... I can probably figure that out myself...

Feeling pretty stupid, but supercharged nonetheless having started it for the first time. Seller wasn't able to get it started when I bought it so I've never heard how it runs. Sounds great so far!

Thanks again!
    ctrider likes this.
    1979 CM400T

Name:  IMG_142111.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  4.43 MB
    1979 CM400T

Might not qualify for a Homer award, but still pretty good for a Tuesday!
    JT
    81 CM400T Under re-construction
    82 GL500

Sponsored Links