Honda Twins banner

New LED Signals wont blink, just stay on =/

22K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  longdistancerider 
#1 ·
This question has probably been asked 1,000times on here but cant find it. My stock turnsignals worked great so I know thats not the issues. When I installed my new turnsignals the wont blink.The just stay on when the switch is engaged. ?? What did I do wrong and what do I buy/do to fix it.

#2 ·
If you didn't change to an electronic flasher that is your problem. The original flasher worked on amp draw from the incandescent bulbs, since LEDs pull very little amps, the flasher won't work.

#5 ·
I tried LED blinkers too. They didn't work either. I ordered an electronic flasher from superbrightleds.com and that still didn't fix the problem. Turns out that I would need a resistor for each blinker which I didn't think was worth it so I just ordered new smaller blinkers. If you get a new flasher and it doesn't work, try reversing the wires. My LED's started blinking but, they all 4 blinked at the same time no matter if it was on the left or right. I do believe the resistors you'll need will cost around $15 per blinker. If you do buy them don't mount them near anything that will melt because they will get hot. Hope you find a solution.

#6 ·
Resistors are unnecessary..... Two diodes and rewiring the dash-panel indicator slightly eliminates the "all four flash" problem.....See previous topics for how to do this.....

#7 ·
I am runnig LED Rear Signals and Standard Front Signals with an LED Indicator Bulb and an Electronic Flasher.

Everything flashes correctly and the LED Rears reduce the drain on the charging system.

I do NOT use Diodes or Resistors anywhere in the circuits. The Bulbs and Flasher I use came from Super Bright LEDS.

In fact I converted the Rear Signals to combination Running Lights/Flashers.
The Conversion to Rear Running Lights demanded I go with LEDS to reduce the drain on the Charging System.

#8 ·
Yendor..... The retention of the front incandescent bulbs provides the necessary resistance and requires enough energy to light that it eliminates the need for diodes, but for those who use ALL LED units, an electronic flasher module and diodes are a must....

#9 ·
This might be (probably is), but is there any way that a person who has converted to LED turn signals could use this condition in some way to easily add "hazard flashers" to their motorcycle? I almost never had to use those on an automobile, but one of the times that I did, another motorist came back (after recovering from his skid, lol) and told me that if he hadn't seen my flashers in the fog at the last moment, he'd have hit me sure as sunrise. So this might be a useful safety feature on motorcycles. I was surprised that my 1982 CB450SC did not come with them, having previously thought that all vehicles approved for use on US roads required them. I have just about decided not to go with LEDs because of the expense involved, but if it means I could easily add flashers, it might cause me to reconsider the decision, at least in a year or two when I can hopefully even consider purchasing a bulb that costs more than a couple dollars, lol.

Regards,

#10 ·
MDM, poor mans 4 way flashers. Add a wire from each front turn signal and connect to a SPST switch. When you throw the switch power goes to both sides when you turn on left or right turn signals. I've been using that setup for 3 years now, very nice to have especially when riding in pea soup for or torrential downpour. Had to do it for 50+ miles leaving St. John, New Brunswick, Canada this summer.
SPST= single pole single throw

Reactions: MDM
#11 ·
Thank you! I think I can find an old switch in the basement somewhere next time it's dry enough down there to hunt around.

Regards,

#14 ·
LED for blinkers is not enough benefit IMO. LED for taillight & headlight make more sense as they are brighter. The LED taillight is superior at night due to directional aspect of the diodes, but about equal to incandescent during the day. The LED headlight is 4 times brighter vs a halogen bulb and 6 times an incandescent bulb. This good for day driving too as more likely to get attention of drivers.

#15 ·
I have a pair of 1N4001 diodes to isolate the left and right turn signals. Enough current will flow through the dash turn indicator to allow both sides to flash when using LED bulbs.

#16 ·
If I'm not mistaken Common Motor Collective sells a KIT for the diodes to modify the turn signals to all LED.

It's a small adapter harness that is simple to install.

I read over the directions, they had on the site and the process seemed easy enough.

I haven't done this yet as I only modified my rears to LED, that included adding dual filament sockets to allow running lights.
Same as the 360 uses for front combo turn/running lights. I found RED Lens on Ebay.
The resistance of the fronts allow the system to work with an electronic flasher without the diodes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.