Honda Twins banner

Voltage Regulator/Rectifier Upgrade = Mosfet

39K views 49 replies 14 participants last post by  Sonreir 
#1 ·
My charging system is running 15.2 volts, sometimes 15.5v, which is still in spec but I have concerns.
Yes it has a 1 year old NOS R/R on it and that didn't change anything.

1) My AGM battery has started failing, I believe from the high charge rate since they don't like anything over 14.5 volts. It's the MotoBatt and just 2 years old now. Not a problem since another one will be one the way tomorrow.

2) I'm about to go over to the Ignitech ignition control unit which should only run in the 8-14 volt range, although they say it'll handle up to 16 but they don't advise that.

I've been researching the Mosfet R/R's for the past week and that seems like the way to go since they all seem to have a stable voltage output in the mid 14's and run cooler as well.
But, they are all a 5 wire design. 3 AC inputs, 1 Batt+ DC output and 1 Ground wire. The CM uses a 6 wire design that adds a Black switched power voltage sense lead. I can't seem to find an answer to the questions: Will the Mosfet design work properly without that lead? Will it work properly on the CM?
The answers are????????? :?:

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Mosfet Regulator/Rectifiers

That's my thought and Steve had the same one. I'll visit my friendly boneyard today and see what he has to experiment with.
New battery shipping today.

#4 · (Edited)

Read thru this http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6540 and it pretty much confirms I can successfully do this. Just not connect the Black wire.
Found this kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-SHINDENG ... d6&vxp=mtr
that is the latest version of the unit w/connector plugs.
I've gone thru the entire wiring harness and connections to insure I don't have some weird voltage problem. Only voltage drop is at the Black at the VR connection of .05v

6-7-2016 Update: Sparckmoto is offering the regulator for $95 including the connectors http://sparckmoto.com/Products

#5 ·

New RR due today. So time to do the prelim tests of a stock RR with a new battery.
Started with the battery on a Batt Tender until it showed charged, let it sit for 1/2 hour to stabilize. 12.81V Did a 30 second discharge of running lights, no head light, 12.31V
Started and running at 1200 rpm cold 14.8V
Rode @5 miles in town charging at 14.1 to 15.5V
Rode @5 miles freeway speed charging 13.5 to 15.3
Idle when done with headlight on 12.9 to 13.8
Battery voltage after parked 13.5V
15 sec load w/o headlight 13.0V
1 hour parked 13.1V

Regulator got here and I've got the harness made so I can install tomorrow. I noticed that the wires coming out of the stator are 16 gauge but the RR wires are 18 gauge. I'm using 16 gauge going into the Mosfet RR.

#6 ·

New RR installed and roadtested. I'm a happy camper :D
Battery charged and tested the same as previously posted, same results
RED is the OEM regulator GREEN is the Mosfet regulator FH020AA
Started and running at 1200 rpm cold 14.8V....14.25V
Rode @5 miles in town charging at 14.1 to 15.5V....13.7V to 14.1V
Rode @5 miles freeway speed charging 13.5 to 15.3....13.7V to 14.1V
Idle when done with headlight on 12.9 to 13.8....14.0V
Battery voltage after parked 13.5V.... 13.2V
15 sec load w/o headlight 13.0V....12.8V
1 hour parked 13.1V....12.57V
These results say this is a good upgrade for stabile charge voltages and eliminating the excessively high charge rate found on the OEM regulator. Now to get it permanently mounted. The hole spacing is larger so I have to figure that out.

#10 ·
Given the data you've provided about the performance of the Mosfet regulator, it seems that this mod would make adding a lithium iron phosphate battery from Shorai more feasible/workable. I've heard from other forum members that the stock charging system is essentially "too much" for these batteries and prone to charging the battery in excess of its needs. this causes damage over time

according to Shorai themselves, "Shorai Batteries require a charging system output of 13.1 Volts or higher at idle, and must not exceed 15.2 volts at maximum output."

#14 · (Edited)
Is there a MOSFET r/r that uses same footprint and mounting holes as a stock cb450sc? You mention this new one is a little larger.

also, I wonder if some of the Chinese knockoffs they sell would work the same way? I probably already know the answer to that question, but $30 versus $130 is a big difference.

#16 ·
No, you'll be able to use one of the hole I believe but not both. In my case I relocated the unit as you can see in the pictures to the outside much like the early CB400's were for better cooling.
As for the Chinese knock offs? you get what you pay for. I've recently gone thru a similar situation with a front sprocket. Supposedly a NOS part for less than a new one, saved $7. Well in the end that $7 savings has cost me $1200 plus 3 weeks of down time in a strange town 3000 miles from home.

#20 ·
hey dudes, trying to gather info for my cafe project to plan the work and parts... so you guys sayin stock regulator rectifier won't work right with LED headlight, tailight, signals? as in plug n play? do i need to buy some weird conversion device to run all the leds? original flasher ok or need something to flash the leds? readin weird effects experienced on here :)

#21 ·
This mod isn't needed to run the LED lights since most of those will handle up to 18V. This mod is for preserving the non lead acid batteries that are sensitive to charging voltage over 14.5, most call for 14V max.
To run the LED turn signals you will need a LED type flasher and if you're using the stock turn signal indicator you'll need to add diodes to have everything work correctly. Jetcash has a topic currently running about the conversion over to LED's

#22 ·
yes thanx, saw it. i wanna pick a smaller lighter battery too therefore will need this recti conversion too. now i have standard led battery with acid. i wanna go with gel so i can lay it flat under frame under thin seat.
we are limited here in europe with your american brands, so please bare with me. will this bike turn with a 7A battery? what is the smallest battery i can use to ride randomly 3 hour day trips once a week or less? it will sit in garage all winter long.

#23 ·
The 7A battery won't turn the starter, otherwise it would be fine. If you had a kick starter then you could eliminate the electric one but I'm pretty sure you have a six speed trans w/o the kicker and a kicker can't be added to the 6 speed easily.
Battery brands here that might be available to you, Shorai, Anti-Gravity, MotoBatt, Scorpion

#24 ·
exactly that's what i thought. i wonder what will turn it, 8A? 10A? if i had kick i'd do batteryless but...yea 6spd starter only.
what smallest amperage can i go with? who makes the smallest battery to lay flat?
unfortunately no antygravity in europe... i like those the best for size and power.

#25 ·
I really don't know what size you'll need. Might review some of the CB350 projects since those seem most often to be the cafe projects using alternative batteries. Nice thing about this series engine is the charging system is so much better than the earlier bikes.
I know Belgium Customs duties are on the insane side but what about where you're at? Might be worth checking about that to see if importing a battery from the US is feasible.

#28 ·
Just a bit of terminology in general terms,...

The rectifier converts AC current to DC current.

It's the regulator that sets the charge rates/values.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.