80' Cb400T Hawk balance/cam chain adjustment

Hey fellas, I Just acquired a 80 cb400t hawk with only 6,100 miles for $250 just has a cpl dings in the tank and missing a side cover. I was wondering what the procedure for adjusting the cam chain tensioner and the balance chain tensioner. I know it does have many miles but i have no clue about how the p.o treated it. Thanks in advance.

Stephen Lohmeyer,3839 Sun Valley Lane, Roanoke, Virginia 24014 540-525-5199Sixtysixsprint@aol.com

Re: 80' Cb400T Hawk balance/cam chain adjustment

Cam chain adjustment is easy.... With engine idling, loosen the locknut and back it off one or two turns...Re-tighten locknut...DONE....
    For the balancer adjustment, you'll need a new right side crancase cover gasket, and you'll be dumping the oil...might as well change it while you're at it.... I'll detail the proceedure once you have a gasket and some fresh oil....

Quote Originally Posted by 66Sprint
    Cam chain adjustment is easy.... With engine idling, loosen the locknut and back it off one or two turns...Re-tighten locknut...DONE....
    For the balancer adjustment, you'll need a new right side crancase cover gasket, and you'll be dumping the oil...might as well change it while you're at it.... I'll detail the proceedure once you have a gasket and some fresh oil....
    Thanks, Ill pick up the gasket and fresh oil/filter tomarow.

Actually, I believe the '80 Hawk has a small port on the right side cover that you can just unscrew (near the front top). It allows you to adjust the balancer chain without taking the whole side cover off. However, if it is really out of adjustment, you'll need to take the whole cover off to get at the two bolts for larger adjustments.
    Perry

1972 Honda CB350 / 1982 Honda MB5 / 2009 Suzuki Gladius

Stephen Lohmeyer,3839 Sun Valley Lane, Roanoke, Virginia 24014 540-525-5199Sixtysixsprint@aol.com

BTW, Balancer chain adjustment isn't due until 10,800 Miles.... Is there a "lot" of vibration in the engine?....

BTW, Balancer chain adjustment isn't due until 10,800 Miles.... Is there a "lot" of vibration in the engine?....
    I went ahead and picked up the gasket just in case, It does have a slight vibration and a ticking sound so i just wanted to make sure everything was good to go before i really start riding it.

Links