Are these rims unsafe? Rust damage.

Are these rims unsafe? Rust damage.

I removed the old tires from my CB450 project (with a bit of effort), and found that the inside of the rims were badly rusted. I used a wire brush, a wire drill bit, and steel wool to remove much of the rust. The chrome is badly pitted, and in many place the rust ate through the chrome to bare metal.

I plan on putting on new tires and tubes this Monday. Are these rims unsafe in anyway? Will the walls of the rims make a safe contact with the bead of the tires? What could/should I use to line the rims(i.e. wrap to cover the spokes)?

Thank you,
    Let me know what you think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are these rims unsafe? Rust damage.-dsc_0061-800x531-.jpg   Are these rims unsafe? Rust damage.-dsc_0062-531x800-.jpg   Are these rims unsafe? Rust damage.-dsc_0066-531x800-.jpg   Are these rims unsafe? Rust damage.-dsc_0068-800x531-.jpg   Are these rims unsafe? Rust damage.-dsc_0069-800x531-.jpg  

Re: Are these rims unsafe? Rust damage.

Any motorcycle shop will have the rubber rim strips to cover the spokes. If you don't cover them you will have an issue with flat tires.

Those rims should be ok, the spokes would pull out if the metal was weak.
    1970 Honda CB350 Cafe Racer

Build Info Thread: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13727&start=10

Super Moderator longdistancerider's Avatar

Definitely need to clean all of the rust out. The top rim looks questionable to me but you'll be able to see better once it's all clean.
    Jim O'Brien
    1979 CM400T "road bike" modified for travelling
    1978 CB400T1 restored
    1972 CL350 survivor restoration

SALE IS ACTIVE TILL 200 SHIRTS SOLD T-shirt sales supporting 66Sprint's Land Speed Record Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html and http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...r-attempt.html
    Road Trip http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/11-...here-i-go.html or "where's Jim now?"
    Member Map http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/dcMembermap.php

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

With wheels this old I have found it normal to find rust once the tyre has been removed.

Are they safe? If the rust has gone through the wheel then I would say no. If not I say they could be used at the lower speeds these old bikes normally travel. If you want higher speeds then I personally would use new rims and spokes.

The trade off here is that they are the correct DID rims which cannot be replaced.

I have recently had 5 old DID rims replated but they cost £200 ($300?) each. They do now look like new and should be stronger.

Ray
    1966 Honda Black Bomber K0
    1966 Honda Red Bomber K0
    1966 Honda Super Sport/Ken Ives
    1966 Honda Black Bomber K0 Police
    1969 CP450 K2 Police

Where you are going to have a problem is in truing the rims if they need it. Your spokes will be badly rusted at least on the top rim shown. Make sure they will all turn before you install new tires. I've had good success painting the inside of rim with POR 15 rust paint after loosening & oiling up the nipples & after degreasing. Then use the rim strips & you should be good.
    Mike
    74 Honda CB750
    68 Honda CL450
    68 Honda CL350
    65 Honda S65 Sport
    68 Triumph Bonneville
    68 Triumph Daytona

I would clean and check the rim in the top pictures very, very carefully. If rost has started to eat through the rim it can be weakened and unsafe to use.

Sponsored Links