Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How to make your own replacement silicone rectifier.

Honda chose to connect the charging system on the CB/CL450 via the handlebar light switch so only 2/3 (maybe even 1/3) of the generators charging power was used with lights off. As I understand it one of the reasons for this was that the older type of rectifier could not handle the resulting increase in current.
    To get around this I bought a modern 100V 25A silicone rectifier from a radio store for $5 and bypassed the reduction in charging in the way Mike describes here.
    [attachment=2:nfefu44q]Rectifier 100V 25A - 02.jpg[/attachment:nfefu44q]

I moved the old wires and contact to the new rectifier and connected the wires as follows.
    Red/white to +
    Green to -
    Pink and yellow to AC. Doesn't matter which goes where as they are interchangeable.
    [attachment=1:nfefu44q]SSA51803-1024.jpg[/attachment:nfefu44q]

Then I installed the unit where the stock one goes and now I have a really well working charging system with full charging all the time.
    [attachment=0:nfefu44q]SSA51816-1024.jpg[/attachment:nfefu44q]
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: How to make your own replacement silicone rectifier.

Why does that seem to easy?
    Ben's 1971 CB450 "Blue Bomber"

"You will never know you're dead, some people don't know they're alive, kick it and twist it!"

Because Ronny did it. Good write up man, I need to go do this as well, I need to hit up my radio shack and see if they even carry parts like this anymore.
    Franz >>> 450 build >>>360 Build

Excellent writeup Ronny, I've made it a sticky. Do you have a link to one of these rectifiers online?

So, since I'm useless at electrics I have to ask, can this same setup be used on the other Honda twins (namely my 350 )?
    Perry

1972 Honda CB350 / 1982 Honda MB5 / 2009 Suzuki Gladius / 1978 Honda XL250S

This is the same thing the Oregon Cycles rectifiers are more or less. Can pick the rectifier up all over the place for very cheap. The smaller bikes used the 4 prong type rectifier.

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/rectifiers.html

Jameco has listings for all sorts of them for really less money than is worth driving around looking for one. Here's the same one Ronny prolly used, has the same spec anyway.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...0001_179477_-1

Can get them in all sorts of voltages and amperage ratings as well.
    Franz >>> 450 build >>>360 Build

southeastern Iowa 1974 TX650A Yam, 1978 SR500E, 1987 XLH 1100

might want to bolt it to a piece of heavy guage aluminum plate as a heat sink, there is a modificatiion using two rectifers like this for the XS650 and they reccomend at least a 2"x4" heat sink
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    all it takes is time and money.... where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?

Quote Originally Posted by HerrDeacon
    Excellent writeup Ronny, I've made it a sticky. Do you have a link to one of these rectifiers online?

So, since I'm useless at electrics I have to ask, can this same setup be used on the other Honda twins (namely my 350 )?
    Thanks!
    These rectifiers are available everywhere at radio stores and electronics shops. This conversion should work on all older Honda twins with a single phase generator but they may have different color coding on wires. I'm not sure but I think the newer CM/CB 400/450's has a 3-phase generator needing two rectifiers and the more complex connections jayel shows for the XS650.
    You can spot the difference if you have pink, yellow and white wires (single phase) or if you have 3 yellow wires (3-phase).

As frogman says the result are the same as Oregon Cycles rectifiers but way cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by jayel
    might want to bolt it to a piece of heavy guage aluminum plate as a heat sink, there is a modification using two rectifiers like this for the XS650 and they recommend at least a 2"x4" heat sink
    To be absolutely safe it's a good idea to bolt them to some kind of heat sink as jayel suggests. At first I was thinking of a using a heat sink from an old computer processor or a graphics card but decided to try without one. I did a 90 mph 200 mile stint on the freeway last summer without any problems.

Stephen Lohmeyer,3839 Sun Valley Lane, Roanoke, Virginia 24014 540-525-5199Sixtysixsprint@aol.com

I have a problem with Jayel's drawing (I think he forgot one wire).....The right side rectifier only has one AC wire "feeding it".... it takes two wires to comprise an AC input....( the rectifier has to be connected to both ends of the output coil )

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????

Steve I think Jayels drawing works. The right rectifier is letting one phase use the diode between ~ and +.

EDIT:
    I correct my self. One phase uses two diodes in the right rectifier. The diode between ~ and + but also the diode between ~ and -. Pretty clever design that makes it possible for us to make this modification on the newer 3 phase Honda twins too.

Dwg is correct.
    Did it on my XS after staring at it for awhile to be sure it made sense, worked flawlessly
    Tom

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links