What Is This?

Thread: What Is This?

What Is This?

I'm doing a PAMCO install and I wasn't getting any spark so I ordered up a new set of coils and a Common Motor modern regulator/rectifier just for good measure. I noticed this little guy on the bracket that used to hold my ignition condenser. What is it? Do I need to remove it for the PAMCO or regulator/reciter install?

IMG_2771.JPG

What model/year bike? Were there wires connected to it? What color were the wires? I bet it is a turn signal flasher.
    Jim Palmer
    '85 GL1200I (Garage Find)
    '81 GL1100 STD (Project)
    CB450 K5 Done
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...s-cb450k5.html
    "If everything seems under control you are not going fast enough" Mario Andretti...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesPal View Post
    What model/year bike? Were there wires connected to it? What color were the wires? I bet it is a turn signal flasher.
    Or, maybe it is a load resistor, used when LED bulbs replace the filament type. That heat sink must have a purpose.
    Rick

Mine is a mostly 1970 CB450K3

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Sorry, my bike is a 1975 CB500T. From what I've found it's a silicone rectifier, and it's most likely stock. I have not found the normal or any other rectifier while trying to install the modern regulator/rectifier. From what I have seen, the stock rectifier for the alternator is a little rectangular aluminum box that's about 1X1X2. Seeings how she's a motorcycle...I'm pretty sure there is not one hiding in there somewhere. Now I'm unclear on how to properly install the reg/rec combo.

It's for the neutral safety switch and clutch interlock. Keeps them from affecting each other. This way you can start in gear with clutch pulled out or start in neutral with clutch engaged. .. keeps neutral light off when clutch is activated too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Richard

Mydlyfkryzis = Mid Life Crisis
    My Build:http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...-ignition.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mydlyfkryzis View Post
    It's for the neutral safety switch and clutch interlock. Keeps them from affecting each other. This way you can start in gear with clutch pulled out or start in neutral with clutch engaged. .. keeps neutral light off when clutch is activated too
    Yup, what he said. The parts fiche labels it as a "rectifier" in the ignition Coils fiche which is kind of a misnomer. If you look at the fiche for your battery box, you will see the actual regulator and rectifier you are planning on replacing. Don't over think it...
    Paul Malone
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    1976 CB500T
    1972 CB450K5

Quote Originally Posted by Mydlyfkryzis View Post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Thanks!

Oh no worries, I lack the capacity to overthink. Also I misspoke above, I did find the rectifier for the charging system mounted underneath the fuse box where it was supposed to be. It is the stock voltage regulator that is missing. I believe I am supposed to hook the 12v (black) wire that feeds the regulator to the new reg/rec, and cap off the AC (yellow). The harness that runs up the vertical tube under the seat that contains the wires coming from the coil, but in addition to the coil wires and the rear brake switch wires there are a yellow and green (ground) wire that have nothing plugged into them and a black wire with a dual female bullet connector with only one wire connected to it. Are these the wires that are supposed to go to the stock regulator?

Also apparently I am supposed to join the yellow wire coming from the coil to the white to keep the whole coil on always. Is that correct?

Sponsored Links