Dual brake/turn signal lights

Dual brake/turn signal lights

Whats up gang.

So i've seen a couple Hondas out there running dual brake lights that work as turn signals like the harleys..
    anyone know how to do that? i have a 1970 cb450, would appreciate any help!

heres an example of what im looking for. thanks!
    Dual brake/turn signal lights-harley-davidson-sportster-iron-883-5.jpg

[QUOTE=charrleslee;274698]Whats up gang.

So i've seen a couple Hondas out there running dual brake lights that work as turn signals like the harleys..
    anyone know how to do that? i have a 1970 cb450, would appreciate any help!

Being I have done a lot of custom wiring and such, I can assure you it is not as hard as it is intimidating. if you are referring to the little reds there on either side, those appear to be led.

Now if you are talking about putting red lenses on your rear markers that internally is a bit tricky,but not NASA engineered. Basicly you just need to pop the sockets out and replace with a 2phase [most common use for 2phase I have noted in honda is taillight/brake light bulb] once you have that done just route one socket lead for each side into the corresponding point where you blinkers "would be" wired up for that side, and simply reroute the remaining pair of leads together making sure you have them balanced [either both high or both low] and tied into your "would be" brake light circuit.

Keep in mind you should make a soft connection and test the lighting for proper operation on both the brakes and blinker, before making a committed connection. Blinker relays tend to get buggy when you start messing with their voltage demand to much so you really don't want to solder and have to cut it out later if you circuit demands fall short of the requirements for optimum performance by design.

If you are not doing this in the original lamp housings, Most aftermarket kits are led and for 12v systems and can be gotten as dual function. It is imperative you pay close attention to the advert. and make sure they are meant to be used dual purpose so that they have will be have the correct resistance to push the relay properly.They are all pretty much Mount,plug in, and the go play and can be installed in less than half an hour if you already know how and where you want them. I must stress the dual function because most blinker relays do not play nicely with led because they are lower resistance than the standard bulbs they are meant to push. It basically means that it will not blink at all or really really slowly when you hit the switch.

That's not quite right is it...
    if you connect both the brake lights and the turn signals to the bright element in the dual element in te bulbs then what happens when you brake with a turn signal on?
    when I run this setup I don't use turn signals... Just brake and tail lights
    CB350 K5 - Uber Café- Engine build 3
    CL350 K4 - Cafe build done waiting on final assembly
    CB350 K0 - Full restoration w/Hondaline bags & fairing
    SL350 K2 - Bubba Shobert flat track build on deck
    CB-1 400F - unrestored mint rider
    2012 Guzzi V7 Racer - Daily Ride

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

To make that work you have to power the brake light and turn signals through a properly configured turn signal switch. With the turn signal switch centered the brake light switch will power both brake/turn signal lights. With one turn signal selected the turn signal switch routes brake light power only to the other brake/turn signal light. Some cars work this way but our switches are not configured to do it.
    JT
    81 CM400T Under re-construction
    82 GL500

One could use a 'logic box' as we called them way back when to convert trailer wiring to work the way you want them to. That is brake and signal operating separately from each other on the same filaments.
    1979 CM400T (rider),
    1981 CM400T (in surgery receiving transplant)
    1982 CM450 (parts bike)
    1982 CB450 (parts bike)
    Past rides: Vincents, Triumph, BSA's, Suzuki's, Twingle, Corgy, others.
    Remember, today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.
    My chest fell, but, fortunately, my belt caught it.
    I don't know everything, nor, have I met the one who does.

T-shirt sales supporting 66Sprint's LSR Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

It can be easily done with 3 low current relays too. Maybe that's the 'logic box'

Provided you have dual filament bulbs a trailer converter will work

CURT Manufacturing - CURT Tail Light Converter #55130
    1971 CB450 cafe'd

Quote Originally Posted by outobie View Post
    That's not quite right is it...
    if you connect both the brake lights and the turn signals to the bright element in the dual element in te bulbs then what happens when you brake with a turn signal on?
    when I run this setup I don't use turn signals... Just brake and tail lights
    I think you may have misunderstood, either blinkers on the Low or high side, put the brake on the opposite. The only thing tying the elements together is the common ground. By doing it this way it is simple, idiot proof [if there is such a thing] jk, and clean [not a lot of wire adding since stock wires for brake only would need extended]. It also removes the need for a Logic box, or tandem relays or so on.

If I understand your goal correctly, I bought a "diy kit" to do the same thing. Here's a link to the instructions:
    Rear Running Lights Mod « Bareass Choppers Motorcycle Tech Pages

Basically you're adding LED rings inside the turn signal housing and wiring them into the tail/brake light.

Here's a link to the product page with before/after pics:
    Honda VTX Turn Signal Run Brake Turn Conversion
    Last edited by Deadrubberboy; 12-16-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: added link to before/after pics and buy

Quote Originally Posted by Deadrubberboy View Post
    If I understand your goal correctly, I bought a "diy kit" to do the same thing. Here's a link to the instructions:
    Rear Running Lights Mod « Bareass Choppers Motorcycle Tech Pages

Basically you're adding LED rings inside the turn signal housing and wiring them into the tail/brake light.

Here's a link to the product page with before/after pics:
    Honda VTX Turn Signal Run Brake Turn Conversion
    There is also a thread where there was a "direct replacement" part in error that uses the exact method I am referring to, just reconnect run to brake and there!

How I converted 2 wire turn signals to 3 wire (with pictures)

Sponsored Links