1973 CB450 Internal Oil Filter Cleaning
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1973 CB450 Internal Oil Filter Cleaning

1973 CB450 Internal Oil Filter Cleaning

I'm getting a 1973 CB450 in a few days and the first thing I plan to do is change the oil and clean the internal filter or rotor. I've read the instructions in an online manual and it seems pretty straight fowrard. However I read a post somewhere on the internet that said it is best not to perform this procedure. It said the internal parts are easy to break and hard to replace. The writer of the post said he had never seen one that was that dirty anyway. It was best to leave it alone. I think he was talking about an earlier model. Is this true with the 1973 CB450? Are there O rings that need to be replaced? Any info is appreciated.

Re: 1973 CB450 Internal Oil Filter Cleaning

I can only give you my experience, others here have a hell of a lot more of that than me....

When I first bought my '74 CB, I talked to an old mechanic (whom I trust a great deal) that worked on these back in the day (and he currently wrenches to this day). He basically said the exact same thing, leave it alone, it's easy to break stuff, highly recommended leaving it alone and said it was probably just fine anyway. Well, that's hard info to take when you want to do things "right".

I did take that advice, but it wasn't long after getting the bike running that the timing chain jumped a tooth and I ended up doing a top end rebuild. The oil filter was removed and sure enough, there was hardly anything in there after all these years (of course I don't know when the last time it was "checked" either).

However, Franz was just describing in the Zinc thread that after changing to a certain kind of oil that scrubs the engine clean, it was necessary to clean this filter many times.

I imagine if you're careful and handy and know what you're doing there's no problem at all.
    2012 F800R
    1974 CB450K7
    1970 CB350K2
    1972 CB175K6
    1974 RD350

Yes, you should clean your centrifugal oil filter. I clean or at least inspect it every oil change…every 600 to 800 miles for me. It can let you know the state of the engine, you don't want to find any shinny bits of metal flake for one. You can down load the manual here and it covers the process or use this site for a online owners manual.

http://www.cb450stuff.com/manual/index.htm#OilFilter

Yes there are o rings that must be in the correct locations and should be inspected and cleaned or replaced if worn or tattered. If you find a lot of crud you may want to pull off the entire right case side cover and check and clean the oil pump sump filter. That is in the manual as well. The oil filter cover must go back on the correct way; there are two oil passages in the cover that must match up to the oil passages in the right case side cover. Good luck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

i agree, you will want to clean it, or at least check it, they can get pretty darn gunked up. the more it is full of gunk, the smaller the diameter of the barrel, the less centrifical force there is to sling the heavy junk out of the oil. its not much of a "filter" in the first place, so I want mine to work as best it can. if you leave the barrel in, its not a big deal. here are some more details on how to do it:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... #sch396997

see the schematic above, you really dont need to remove the whole barrel, just take off the small right hand case cover and just remove the central part of it (part 8) by first removing the circlip (part 14) then using a long bolt (m6 i believe) threaded into the middle and use that as a handle to pull it out. a 2 or 3 inch long m6 makes it lots easier. the outer cover o-rings are pretty beefy and can probably be reused (i always have...) , the inner one is almost always destroyed/torn/stretched. it is part 6(edit- its part 16 not 6). you can then scrape all the gunk out of there, with the barrel left on the bike, just take your time and use a good light, dont leave any loose chunks. you will be surprised how hard the gunk is.

when you put back in part 8 (use the bolt again, it just gives you a bit of a handle), make sure that it engages with the slots on the inside of the barrel correctly and put a bit of oil on the o-rings and make sure the thin one on part 8 doesn't get sheared when you shove part 8 back in... i always have a couple of the o-rings (part 6(edit - its part 16 not 6)) around just in case i screw one of them up putting things back together. these o-rings are starting to get expensive though...

and yes, put the outer cover in the correct way so the oil passages line up!
    1971 CB450 (K4) - industrial cafe
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/view...php?f=5&t=5004
    - PAMCO Electronic Ignition
    - 3 ohm Dynacoils
    - Oregon Motorcycle Reg/Rec
    - Shorai 7ah Battery
    - Avon Roadriders
    - HAGON 2810 rear shocks

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it.

would the same rules apply for my 1970 CB350?
    I guess there are instructions in the online manual eh?
    Thanks
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson

1970 CB350
    1974 CT70
    1977 XL75
    2005 PW80

Yes, I clean mine like delineator describes I do not remove the barrel I clean out the gunk with a some mineral sprits a rag and a small paint brush, use a light as he said to make sure you got all the crud out. The manual calls for this at 6000 miles but like I said I do it at every oil change just to have a look and make myself feel better, you will need to decide what works best for you. I clean the filter first then change the oil. Have fun.

Agreed, it does not take much time, and you also have another insight into the state of the engine. I would do it every oil change too. I do now
    Nige
    Donate to 66Sprint's LSR Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html and http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...r-attempt.html
    CB450K0 Bomber 1967
    CB650Z 1978

Quote Originally Posted by delineator
    ...here are some more details on how to do it:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... #sch396997

...the inner one [o-ring] is almost always destroyed/torn/stretched. it is part 6...i always have a couple of the o-rings (part 6) around just in case i screw one of them up...
    Delineator -

I have attached an excerpt of the image from BikeBandit...Do you mean Part 16?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1973 CB450 Internal Oil Filter Cleaning-oilpump2.gif  
    1972 CL450 'Scrambler'
    1972 CB500 '500 Four'

Yes, indeed, it is part 16 not 6, thanks.

I edited my original post to minimize confusion.
    1971 CB450 (K4) - industrial cafe
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/view...php?f=5&t=5004
    - PAMCO Electronic Ignition
    - 3 ohm Dynacoils
    - Oregon Motorcycle Reg/Rec
    - Shorai 7ah Battery
    - Avon Roadriders
    - HAGON 2810 rear shocks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links