1973 CB450 Internal Oil Filter Cleaning - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1973 CB450 Internal Oil Filter Cleaning

Re: 1973 CB450 Internal Oil Filter Cleaning

Just my experience. I have two CB450s in my garage. One with 22k miles. One with 3k miles.

I have yet to see anything that required cleaning when pulling the filter, although I still do it (but I am questioning it).

Getting the oil filter out isn't the most difficult thing, but it's not the most straight forward thing, either. You have to make SURE that it goes back into place correctly. There are holes that need to line up. If you get it wrong, you will destroy the engine.

On a fresh rebuild I would do it. But I think cleaning the filter after every service is overkill.

I want to confirm that the oil filter that needs to be cleaned IS part #8, correct? I have rarely had to remove much from it.
    1972 Honda CB450 Progress Thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21041

1978 Honda CB750 Progress Thread (SOHC forums):
    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114893.0

part 8 is usually not that dirty at all, it is the part you remove to be able to clean the inside of the "Barrel", part 7, as all the oil that spins around in their builds up sludge on the inside of the barrel. it may be possible to poke into the barrel through the holes in part 8 with a little pick (or bent paperclip) to see if their is actually much buildup there prior to pulling part 8 and more than likely destroying the o-ring. might not have to clean it at all and therefore not pull it all apart.

I believe there are some oils that you shouldn't run because they dissolve sludge, thus potentially rendering the centrifugal filter useless... I think it may be the high detergent oils, but not sure what brands/types that might be. most people seem to run Rotella T diesel type dino oil.
    nigelrharris03 likes this.
    1971 CB450 (K4) - industrial cafe
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/view...php?f=5&t=5004
    - PAMCO Electronic Ignition
    - 3 ohm Dynacoils
    - Oregon Motorcycle Reg/Rec
    - Shorai 7ah Battery
    - Avon Roadriders
    - HAGON 2810 rear shocks

Thanks for the response. That's what I was thinking- there's more to it than cleaning just part 8 (It's been awhile for me). I remember the barrel getting more dirty than part 8.

Good insight. Maybe it's good to shine a flashlight before pulling part 8. If you see any sludge, proceed to remove and clean.

I've yet to destroy the seal, but I've only disassembled this area 4 times.

I'm a believer in Rotella T diesel!
    1972 Honda CB450 Progress Thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21041

1978 Honda CB750 Progress Thread (SOHC forums):
    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114893.0

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member David Babbitt's Avatar
    Name:  Oil Filter 2.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  38.6 KB
    Have you ever seen part no. 14, the large C clip, worn paper thin on its edges like I just discovered? I think it is because I didn't have the inner oil filter spline fitted into the grooves someone mentioned earlier. It rocked back and forth, kind of fretted, so that with time it wore the C clip. That's all I can figure. I'll have to see if Common-Motor collective or bike bandit sells them.

I don't know if anyone is reading this old thread which I opened up yesterday when I found my thin internal C clip, but Common Motor Collective is pricing me a replacement, serviceable clip with new O-rings for the oil filter assembly on the CL450 K6.

They either are slightly loose and can spin in the housing which wears the side out. They can hammer wear, which is probably what happened to that one, the internal cover was probably pulsing in and out from every pump action, beating against it which beat it against the grove it sits in. If the o-ring that sits around the cover that clip holds in is wrong or worn or not there at all that could let that cover move more than it should. Probably a little bit of both actually.

Far as parts, good Common Motor had things like that. I usually head to Fastenal for the odd clip an o-ring, my local store has 1000's of them.

Might think about looking on ebay or somewhere for a replacement cup, if it wore the clip that much it might have worn the grove in the cup too.
    Franz >>> 450 build >>>360 Build

The old O-ring was ovalized so the lid didn't stay on tight. I agree, pulsing and slip between lid and body. Still waiting to hear from Common Motor.

If you do a search for 'internal cir-clip 45mm', you will find more sources; many ship is packs of 10 or more, unfortunately.
    Rick

Mine is a mostly 1970 CB450K3

Common Motor Collective was responsive, offering me C-clip and O-rings for a reasonable price. I've bought ignition points and lock for a fuel tank lid and for whatever reason get discounts, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links