Cam timing CB450

Hello everybody. I just found your forum and I'm hoping you can help me. I'm "baffled".
    I'm restoring a 1974 CB450 and in the process of removing the cam bearings to polish them I managed to get the cam timing off. So, I broke the cam chain and have set the cams several times now according to the HONDA service manual and every time I button things back up, when I try to turn the engine over, I have valves hitting pistons. I'm setting the crank on LT, and lining up what I believe to be the marks on the cams but it will not work for me. Ive even tried rotating the cams 180 degrees, but still no luck. Its really hard to tell what is a timing mark on the cam and what is a casting mark. Any ideas? This is nerve wracking!
    Thanks,
    Chris

Re: Cam timing CB450

Timing marks usually look like very light chisel marks. Like it was put there instead of cast in.
    Franz >>> 450 build >>>360 Build

[attachment=3:vx7z707e]100_1633.JPG[/attachment:vx7z707e][attachment=2:vx7z707e]100_2613.JPG[/attachment:vx7z707e][attachment=1:vx7z707e]100_2641.JPG[/attachment:vx7z707e]

These should help I have painted mine gold to highlight them
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    Nige
    CB450K0 Bomber 1967
    CB650Z 1978

Thanks, guys! You know... I've been working on bikes for many years, including Hondas and I've NEVER seen timing marks on a cam as faint as those. My gosh! You could barely see them at all. I really had to look closely with a drop light 2 inches away to see them. But, I think I found the right marks, I put the cam chain back on, turned the engine over by hand and it seems just fine. Nothing is hitting. I must have gotten it this time. I guess it works better when you use timing marks instead of casting marks!!! However... In my excitement at finally finding the right marks and making progress, I crimped my master link before I put the backing plate on it. Sometimes I do the stupidest things! So now I have to call Honda and order another new master link. Anyway, thanks for your help!
    Chris

Feel your pain, see my post in this same section, "Top end HELP? Frustration setting in!" Finally worked through my problems...finally! Good luck to you.
    Jerry
    '13 CB1100
    '72 CB450 K5 (currently undergoing full restoration)
    '79 CM185T

Links