Honda Twins banner

74 cl360 swap to inverted forks

10K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Timberwolffxdl 
#1 ·
We are thinking about doing an inverted fork swap. We've looked at the allballs website about bearing kits, and I know to use that list for our conversion. What I'm wondering about though is length. I'd like to find something the same length. I know I can lower the bike a little through the triple trees and rear shocks if need be, but I'd like to start from stock position.

What have you guys used or seen that's going to put things close to the same as our 74 CL360?

#2 ·
I have not done the conversion on a CL but if I were you, I'd go the full monty and convert it to a nice set of modern forks.
I would not worry about length and plug-and-playability too much. Most USD forks can easily be shortened. At least if they are not of the closed cartridge type.

A couple of years ago I did a conversion on my XT500 and fitted 2003 KTM 250SX forks. By the way... In that conversion I did not shorten the forks. With hindsight, the only thing I would have done differently is to use adjustable triple clamps so the geometry would have been adjustable.

Making a front fork fit in a bike is pretty easy if you have access to a lathe and maybe some basic tools to press the stem out of the lower trees. It's just a matter of careful measuring and checking your measurements two or three times.
[attachment=0:260z9v3w]motorstek_93705_original.jpg[/attachment:260z9v3w]

Attachments

#4 ·
Consider your goals. Inverted forks may not be the answer.

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing and I'm not thrilled with the way it has gone. My primary goal was to get excellent breaks without dealing with drums. I haven't found a slam-dunk alternative, for any amount of money. Drums, for all their annoyance, can work very well when set up correctly, and a forks can be significantly upgraded with cartridge emulators (just not in CL350 forks--too thin).

If you're going for a look, know what it might cost you in the end. You will lose a severe amount of turning radius unless the gas tank is modified. If you want to keep a spoked wheel with the R6 forks, you could hit $1000 very quickly, unless you can machine some bits.

#5 ·
I'm going to use 2001 GSXR 750 forks on one of my CB360's, it's the only year they came blue anodised :D
The conversion isn't too difficult but does need some machining and modifications. It isn't just a case of bolting forks in because 'All Balls' do a bearing 'conversion'
The steering stem on Suzuki is longer than on the 360, plus, I'm not sure how they intend to match the much larger OD at top of stem with relatively small OD of outer race?
BTW, You have brakes on a bike and go for a coffee break ;)

Here's a modified 2006 GSXR 600/750 fork with CBR600 rotors on 360 front wheel

#8 ·
Erwin said:
First you were talking about inverted forks and length and now it's conventional and just extra width? What exactly are you trying to accomplish with your conversion? To me, it's not very clear anymore...
you're right!

I asked about inverted forks (mainly for looks and added width) but it seems everyone was warning me off going that route, so I then asked what my alternative would be to stay non inverted but still gain some added width. maybe I should have just deleted this thread and started a new one.

#9 ·
Why a wider fork?

Wider front tires will slow handling down. It is O.K. if you are looking to degrade performance, but just wondered why?

The front will handle (with a wider rim) a 3.50 tire. That's about as wide as someone who wants reasonable handling should go....

Keep in mind the 360's have a fairly flexible frame. Changing to stiffer suspensions and stronger forks tend to put more strain on the flexible frame.

The bike is (stock) as well setup as it can be. To get better handling, frame modification (welding seams, for instance) and other mods would be advisable.

#10 ·
Mydlyfkryzis said:
Why a wider fork?

Wider front tires will slow handling down. It is O.K. if you are looking to degrade performance, but just wondered why?

The front will handle (with a wider rim) a 3.50 tire. That's about as wide as someone who wants reasonable handling should go....

Keep in mind the 360's have a fairly flexible frame. Changing to stiffer suspensions and stronger forks tend to put more strain on the flexible frame.

The bike is (stock) as well setup as it can be. To get better handling, frame modification (welding seams, for instance) and other mods would be advisable.
understood, this is not going to be anywhere close to stock when done. Check out my project log post for more details. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.