Post Rick's Install - Leftover Wiring
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Rick's Install - Leftover Wiring

Hey all,

Just installed a Rick's stator and reg/rect in my 71 CB350. I was replacing an existing aftermarket reg/rect unit and the new Rick's unit simplifies a ton of wiring. I'm left with a bunch of extra wires and am unsure of what to do with them. One of the POs of my bike hacked up a ton of wiring, so I'd be happy to clean up some of that mess along the way. From what I understand, this new charging system is basically separate from the rest of the harness, right?

Thanks for the help.

can you tell us specifically what wires are left over, and if its a non stock harness, then also advise where those wires go?

Stock harness. The white, yellow, and pink wires that used to connect to the original stator wires go up into a bigger loom then come back out under the seat, except it is just the yellow and white wires. This terminates in a white plug that used to connect to the reg/rec I'm replacing.

Tracing the yellow back down into the harness I see it connects to about 3 or 4 other yellow wires. There's also another yellow wire that's piggyback tapped on to the one in the battery tray (that terminated in the white plug) that runs back down towards the case where it plugs into another yellow wire that works its way back into the main harness.

I can take some photos in the morning.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

This harness used to connect to the reg/rec I'm replacing. You can see the yellow piggybacked wire that went back down towards the rase and plugged back into another wire in the loom there.

Here is where multiple yellow + green wires come together in the harness. The single yellow wire going out of the frame terminates in the white plug that used to connect to the reg/rec.

Here are the wires that are traveling down towards the case. The white plug is what the old stator wires used to plug in to. The yellow wire in my hand is the same one from the first pic, and you can see where it connects back into another yellow wire. Also notice that there are yellow/white/pink wires coming from the stator connector, but only yellow/pink connecting to the reg/rec.

with the Rick's stator and reg rec combination you don't need the yellow or the white wires in the main harness at all
    (you still need the white wire in the right handlebar switch to the headlight though--it's your low beam headlight)

you can also eliminate the pink wire in the main harness from the stator to the rectifier
    and you can eliminate the red/white wire from the rectifier to the battery (that splices into the fused red battery wire)
    Last edited by outobie; 01-03-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    CB350 K5 - Uber Café- Engine build 3
    CL350 K4 - Cafe build done waiting on final assembly
    CB350 K0 - Full restoration w/Hondaline bags & fairing
    SL350 K2 - Bubba Shobert flat track build on deck
    CB-1 400F - unrestored mint rider
    2012 Guzzi V7 Racer - Daily Ride

Quote Originally Posted by outobie View Post
    with the Rick's stator and reg rec combination you don't need the yellow or the white wires in the main harness at all
    (you still need the white wire in the right handlebar switch to the headlight though--it's your low beam headlight)

you can also eliminate the pink wire in the main harness from the stator to the rectifier
    and you can eliminate the red/white wire from the rectifier to the battery (that splices into the fused red battery wire)
    Awesome, thank you so much for breaking this down for me. Last question, what do I do with my neutral switch wire? I know it should plug into the switch near the drive sprocket and then connect into its corresponding green/red wire in the main harness, right?

remove it from the stator harness on the OEM stator and add it to the stator harness on the Rick's stator harness. I'd install new bullet terminals where the stater harness connects to the main harness (at the spine just below the battery box

remove it from the stator harness on the OEM stator and add it to the stator harness on the Rick's stator harness. I'd install new bullet terminals where the stater harness connects to the main harness (at the spine just below the battery box
    Perfect, that's what I did! I went ahead and cleaned up the terminals as best I could, they look shiny and new.

I'm assuming power for everything else (horn, lights, etc) comes from the fuse block?
    Last edited by even_keel; 01-03-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Got it all back together today, the bike is running great... With the exception of the fact that my headlight isn't working. The white wire that is now non-functional wouldn't be to blame for that, right?

headlight wiring...

red fused wire to ignition swith
    black from ignition to black in main harness
    Black in main harness to black in right handlebar switch
    black connects to
    - white in right handlebar switch for low beam (or dark blue for high beam)
    - AND Brown/white for gauge back lights
    - Brown/white also goes to secondary circuit in ignition switch to connect to brown for rear tail light.
    Headlight Dark Green to main harness dark Green
    Headlight white to right handlebar swith white
    headlight dark blue to right handlebar switch dark blue (also to highbeam idiot light in top of headlight shell)

there are two white wires in the right handlebar switch. disconnecting the one with the yellow housing on the terminal is correct...disconnecting the headlight one is not correct. you likely have the wrong one hooked up. or you have it hooked up to the white wire in the main harness instead of the white wire to the headlight.
    Last edited by outobie; 01-09-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links