I'd like to find a quality Powersports-friendly machinst.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ancientdad
  • 1 Post By ScramblerCurtis
  • 1 Post By Flugtechnik
  • 1 Post By bilbikek411

Thread: I'd like to find a quality Powersports-friendly machinst.

I'd like to find a quality Powersports-friendly machinst.

I need to get a Honda air cooled 4-stroke single cylinder bored from it's stock 65mm to 65.5mm,I have the piston but don't have a shop to do it here locally yet.. I've lived here for 3yrs. so far and have had a couple local,independent powersports machinists who work part-time out of their house/garage help me a number of times so far but now it's kind of 'hit or miss'. They usually only like working for 'their buddies'
    I'd like to bring/send this cylinder to someone who will give me a fair price and bore it to the factory specs of: .0006-.0015in. and get it done and then call me and say "come pick it up"

Quote Originally Posted by bilbikek411 View Post
    I need to get a Honda air cooled 4-stroke single cylinder bored from it's stock 65mm to 65.5mm,I have the piston but don't have a shop to do it here locally yet.. I've lived here for 3yrs. so far and have had a couple local,independent powersports machinists who work part-time out of their house/garage help me a number of times so far but now it's kind of 'hit or miss'. They usually only like working for 'their buddies'
    I'd like to bring/send this cylinder to someone who will give me a fair price and bore it to the factory specs of: .0006-.0015in. and get it done and then call me and say "come pick it up"
    Bill - I know how it can be with the "buddy" system, have had to deal with that a bit in recent years since being out of the Honda service loop for so long. Hard to find a professional (and I use that term loosely in some cases) that you can trust to do the job properly and the way you want it at the same time. The best guy for boring cylinders in my area used to be one-third owner of one of the oldest Honda shops in the Tampa Bay area, but they sold the dealership a few decades ago and it has since closed. He continued to do machine work in his own small shop, but has long since retired from that and may have passed away as well, don't know for sure. So, I'm left with a fairly trustworthy resource in a local speed shop I've known for 20+ years and who has done a ton of work for many locals I'm familiar with. It's a long-distance ship, but if you aren't able to find anyone you're comfortable with, I could pass along their info. They are going to do my cylinders soon. You can find them at unitedspeedworld.com (but they re-did their own website a year or so ago, don't let the lesser website quality be an indicator of their machine shop capabilities )

Here's a dyno run of one of many V8s they've built over the years -
    Last edited by ancientdad; 01-11-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    bilbikek411 likes this.
    Tom

1984 VF1100S Sabre
    1973 CL450K5 (project)
    Among previous
    1964 CA72
    1970 SL175 new, $687
    1972 CL450K4 new, $983
    1973 CL450K5 Modified class drag bike - 497cc 12.5:1, Megacycle drag grind, 36mm Mikunis, 12.40s @ 105 mph, 1974 Florida State Modified Championship
    1974 Hodaka 125 Wombat
    1973 CB750K3 (1 new $1756; 1 used later, Dad's custom paint)
    1975 GL1000, Kerker 4 into 1, 4.10 gear
    1976 CB400F
    1976 GL1000
    1979 CBX, Denco 6-6
    1985 ZL900
    1980 CBX, Denco 6-6, K&Ns/jetted, GP kit

Have you tried Honda? Maybe I got lucky, but years ago when I did a full engine job on my CB750 they were great. My local Honda dealer helped me order the right combination of rings/pistons/valves for the overbore, did the machine work on cylinders and head for a very reasonable price. They even gave me a hand putting the rings on and a few other small things for no charge.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NYCB350 View Post
    Have you tried Honda? Maybe I got lucky, but years ago when I did a full engine job on my CB750 they were great. My local Honda dealer helped me order the right combination of rings/pistons/valves for the overbore, did the machine work on cylinders and head for a very reasonable price. They even gave me a hand putting the rings on and a few other small things for no charge.

I already have the parts/piston and I have called a few local to my area Japanese M/C dealers in the past 3yrs. to find out who will do machine work for me as they won't do it for me themselves.The couple different small,independents machinists did good work for me but after a while they got weird and wouldn't return my calls,etc.
    I'm now looking for someone who's friendly and likes working for anyone who calls w/o asking me "Who told you about me" ? This used to be easier back a number of yrs. ago but lately it isn't.
    Last edited by bilbikek411; 01-11-2017 at 05:22 PM.

If you're ok shipping your parts I highly recommend this shop that is about 40 minutes from my house. GREAT speed shop and they do all of the work in house - about 100 years of experience. They honed my cylinders, fixed the spark plug holes and had it done in a week all for $120.

https://www.facebook.com/HillCountryPerformance
    bilbikek411 likes this.
    Curtis

1969 Honda CL350 K1 - Done (Project Log)
    1970 Honda CT70 Trail K0 - Duckie Mo-Mo (Project Log)

I recently bought pistons from this place and had them bore/hone my cylinders for them. Seemed like a nice clean shop and the work appears to have been done well. I haven't reassembled the engine yet so the final verdict is still out.

Legend Race Cars, Vintage Motorcyle, MX

Andrews Motorsports
    Concord NC
    bilbikek411 likes this.

Thanks for the feedback on this thread guys,I'll check those out.
    ancientdad likes this.

I have a local guy I use but Bore-Tech would be my choice if he wasn't around any more.
    CB350 K5 - Uber Café- Engine build 3
    CL350 K4 - Cafe build done waiting on final assembly
    CB350 K0 - Full restoration w/Hondaline bags & fairing
    SL350 K2 - Bubba Shobert flat track build on deck
    CB-1 400F - unrestored mint rider
    2012 Guzzi V7 Racer - Daily Ride

Sponsored Links