engine problems getting me down

engine problems getting me down

What would cause a 350 g to run progressively worse the hotter it gets until it cuts out and wont start again until it cools down ? It idles well , revs up fine in the garage but if I take it on the road when it comes under load it starts to miss in the midrange . If I push through that it will burst back into explosive energy but if I run much longer it just dies which I assume is something overheating ? Once its cooled down it starts again .

Try opening you gas tank next time it does this and see if it starts up. If so then you have a clogged gas cap's vent
    '76 CB500T Frankenbike

Carpe narem.

have you dynamically timed the motor with a strobe to make sure your timing advances and retards smoothly?

is your battery fully charged and healthy?
    CB350 K5 - Uber Café- Engine build 3
    CL350 K4 - Cafe build done waiting on final assembly
    CB350 K0 - Full restoration w/Hondaline bags & fairing
    SL350 K2 - Bubba Shobert flat track build on deck
    CB-1 400F - unrestored mint rider
    2012 Guzzi V7 Racer - Daily Ride

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

It does start it just struggles in mid range under load when riding and after maybe 10 mins on the road it eventually dies then I have to wait for it to cool right down before it will start . I will try opening the cap next time though . I,m a bit nervous now of going on the road I don't have a nice quiet street to struggle in . Busy around here .

Yeah the battery is new . clean oil in I have adjusted the timing chain tensioner and the valves 2 thou for intake and 4 thou for exhaust . Fitted keyster carb kits which had everything but floats . left the diaphrams they looked okay to me . I adjusted air screws to 1 and a quarter out as per manual. New coils , plug leads and caps . gapped new plugs as per manual . I did a compression test and got perfect readings both cylinders to the book . I had the points ignition system all new and adjusted then the first test ride I had this issue so I replaced with an electronic ignition and adjusted that . New air filters from England . It wasn't running right when I bought it . It starts easy in the garage . Idles and revs up perfect but once on the road it stumbles at midrevs sometimes it will burst through that and fly but after it gets really warm it eventually dies and wont start till it cools down . Thank you for replying I would appreciate any ideas of what might cause these symptoms . Obviousley I may have made a mistake somewhere or it may be something I haven't touched yet .

Does your electronic ignition have electronic advancer?
    keyster carb kits are sometimes problematic
    floats have holes? Are they set to correct height (which carbs do you have)
    are you running inline fuel filters
    cleaned the petcock?
    rusty fuel tank
    old fuel lines
    CB350 K5 - Uber Café- Engine build 3
    CL350 K4 - Cafe build done waiting on final assembly
    CB350 K0 - Full restoration w/Hondaline bags & fairing
    SL350 K2 - Bubba Shobert flat track build on deck
    CB-1 400F - unrestored mint rider
    2012 Guzzi V7 Racer - Daily Ride

Its the new pamco ignition and it has the e advancer . I did struggle to adjust it because if I get the marks bang on at low revs with timing light (barely idling which is what they recommend in instructions ) Then it doesn't reach full advance and bogs when I rev it but if I set it to get full advance then the marks are about a quarter inch off at idle . this was the best compromise I could reach and it runs great in garage like this at any revs . I tried to set the float height it was the first time I,ve done that so I maybe I need to recheck if I,ve done that correct and the floats looked fine but I guess I could recheck them for leaks in a container of gas . Would that cause these symptoms though I would imagine maybe the mid range bogging could be the carbs but the complete shutting down at full temperature confuses me what the hell causes that ?

A complete shut down at full temp. Makes me suspicious that it's a fuel issue. A clogged vent in the gas tank will indeed cause a vacuum and prevent fuel from flowing when temperature is warm.
    '76 CB500T Frankenbike

Carpe narem.

Sponsored Links