cb360 Cam Chain Tensioner Lower Bolt

cb360 Cam Chain Tensioner Lower Bolt

I picked up a free cl360 that had set for a couple decades. The previous owner had installed new cam chain guides but had got the timing all wrong when he reassembled. Apparently the frustration of having to pull it apart again was enough to park the bike for 20 years. I got the timing straightened out but I discovered the the lower bolt to the tensioner was missing. Can I just put a new bolt in there? Does it all automatically align? What should I be concerned about it having been left out?

Thanks

Which bolt? there should be two. one is a plug that covers access to the chain tensioner. the other is a set bolt that is tightened against the chain tensioner when it is adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by misterguitar View Post
    Which bolt? there should be two. one is a plug that covers access to the chain tensioner. the other is a set bolt that is tightened against the chain tensioner when it is adjusted.

19-22 in the diagram
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Springs are on the inside of the case, 19 is just a plug that allows access for a special tool to pull the plunger back to allow the tensioners to be installed. Plug is not critical to the running of the engine but it will leak oil though if is not there. I don't remember if it is a special pitched bolt or not but you should be able to come up with a replacement. The washer is a copper crush washer.

I used to get lucky once in a while on ebay for odds and ends like that in the MISC boxes you can get sometimes from parts breakers.
    Franz >>> 450 build >>>360 Build

Oh thanks for the info. That was exactly what i was looking for. Can you confirm the springs cant fall out or is there a way to check and see if are there?

The springs can't fall out as they are around that plunger, one side of the spring presses against the inside of the case the other against the head of the plunger. I've had all of that in my hands to inspect when I rebuilt my 360's engine, I had to replace the plunger as the rubber top of it had broken off.

Easy way to test if they are there is to find the correct sized all-thread and make the tool that allows you to pull the plunger back down into its starting position. Details are outlined in the service bulletin. If its a tough pull they are in there, but they should not have been removed when doing the recall work.

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/att..._recall_sb.pdf
    Franz >>> 450 build >>>360 Build

Sponsored Links