CB200 Cam Chain adjustment bolt misplaced!?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: CB200 Cam Chain adjustment bolt misplaced!?

8AD

Question CB200 Cam Chain adjustment bolt misplaced!?

Hello people,

I got used CB200 and still learning lot about it, one of the thing is the cam chain adjuster bolt - lock nut.

So I have just realized when I opened my crankshaft cover and put it in the TDC position for some routine work, then I saw these:

The bolt on the rear side, showing the correct bolt and its lock nut

The bolt on the front side, seems just and ordinary bolt only (no lock nut)

so question:
    1. Is there any CB200 model that has the reverse position? I have read most manuals, and web, it seems it is in the front side. If so, then I will need to swop the position.
    2. So, when doing adjustment, you just need to put the machine on its TDC, and proceed to loose-tighten the bolt and the lock nut, right?
    3. I am not sure whether swopping will work, can anyone tell me how long is the cam chain adjustment bolt?

thank you for your respond, folk.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't say I have ever noticed a bolt on the other side 8AD and can not see anything on the schematics Honda Cb200 England Cylinder - Cylinder Head - schematic partsfiche or Honda Cb200 England Crankshaft - Piston - schematic partsfiche . The adjusting bolt is at the front on UK bikes and would be a nightmare to try and adjust if it was at the back and in between the carbs. Are you sure you have the head on the right way round?

The tensioner bolt is still available from DS 90009-315-000 - Parts For Honda Motorcycles - David Silver Spares

Irene
    8AD likes this.

Hi 8AD, There is definitely no rear bolt on the CB200, only the one on the front. Somebody has drilled and tapped your cylinder head for some reason.
    CB200 Cam Chain adjustment bolt misplaced!?-img_7022.jpg
    Nigel.
    8AD likes this.
    2002 GSXR1000
    2005 R6
    2003 R6
    2003 Hyosung Comet 125
    1983 CB250RS
    1979 T140E Bonneville
    1976 CB360
    1975 T160 Trident
    1974 CL450
    1972 CB500/Four K1
    1972 CB350/Four K1
    1972 A100 Suzuki
    1957 T100

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

looking at the pics I wonder if he has reversed the cam chain tensioner. drilled a hole up in the rear of the head and a hole to meet it and tapped it. pic of front looks as if it chemical metal sealed behind bolt head

8AD
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaCB200Lady View Post
    I can't say I have ever noticed a bolt on the other side 8AD and can not see anything on the schematics Honda Cb200 England Cylinder - Cylinder Head - schematic partsfiche or Honda Cb200 England Crankshaft - Piston - schematic partsfiche . The adjusting bolt is at the front on UK bikes and would be a nightmare to try and adjust if it was at the back and in between the carbs. Are you sure you have the head on the right way round?

The tensioner bolt is still available from DS 90009-315-000 - Parts For Honda Motorcycles - David Silver Spares

Irene
    me too, I couldn't get schematic that shows bolt on the rear side, that is why this make me really confused. I don't know about the head, will need to do the machine rebuild, will do that later when I have complete set of tool. Thx for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer-18 View Post
    Hi 8AD, There is definitely no rear bolt on the CB200, only the one on the front. Somebody has drilled and tapped your cylinder head for some reason.

Nigel.
    Holy moly, this frightened me!

Quote Originally Posted by brush439 View Post
    looking at the pics I wonder if he has reversed the cam chain tensioner. drilled a hole up in the rear of the head and a hole to meet it and tapped it. pic of front looks as if it chemical metal sealed behind bolt head
    Hmm now I am even more curious, but is that reversing is doable with this machine? do you know any case somebody did that on purpose?

I can't understand what has been done here. I don't see what that rear adjuster bolt could actually do.

Obviously, the head cannot be reversed on the cylinder block. The tensioner assembly could possibly be fitted back to front, but then the cylinder block wouldn't drop into place.

CB200 Cam Chain adjustment bolt misplaced!?-ccase2.jpg

CB200 Cam Chain adjustment bolt misplaced!?-camchain.jpg

There doesn't appear to be enough metal in the head to make the drilling that the tensioner rod (held in place by adjustment bolt and locknut) slides in.

CB200 Cam Chain adjustment bolt misplaced!?-dscf2364.jpg

CB200 Cam Chain adjustment bolt misplaced!?-dscf2429.jpg
    8AD likes this.
    1972 Honda CL175

1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

Richard you are totally right

looking at the pics it isn't possible to reverse the tensioner

Anyone else want to see what's going on inside that head?
    I want to know If the errant bolt is pushing a diy blade style tensioner or just grinding at the camchain
    Blood, Sweat, & Gears
    Buy a Hondatwins T-shirt
    sales supporting 66Sprint's 2016 LSR Build

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

8AD
    Richard, that is much explain the original assembly. And, that make me even curious about the reversed bolt.

So, could you you inform the correct adjustment bolt size? I took off the front side bolt, here's the pic:

CB200 Cam Chain adjustment bolt misplaced!?-adjustment-bolt-major-diameter.jpg

Thread size: 5mm
    Head size: 8mm
    Length: 20mm

Quote Originally Posted by Simo View Post
    Anyone else want to see what's going on inside that head?
    I want to know If the errant bolt is pushing a diy blade style tensioner or just grinding at the camchain
    I am also super curious, but the rear side bolt is just in good shape, no sign of metal grinding each other, and the whole length, I measured it is about 45mm, but the length that got inside merely about 30mm

I am gonna teardown the whole machine soon, just need some tools I need to buy before I can do that.
    Last edited by 8AD; 12-24-2016 at 09:51 PM.

It's a special bolt, 2 different pitches on separate threads CB200 Cam Chain adjustment bolt misplaced!?-bolttensioner_medium90009315000-01_75ad.jpg
    Part # 90009 315 000
    Off the top of my head the pitches are M6x 1 and M5x 0.7 but you'd want to check
    Last edited by Simo; 12-25-2016 at 05:00 AM.
    8AD likes this.
    Blood, Sweat, & Gears
    Buy a Hondatwins T-shirt
    sales supporting 66Sprint's 2016 LSR Build

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links