Fitting a starter motor to a UK CD175 ?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Fitting a starter motor to a UK CD175 ?

I have a UK model CD175 (upright engine) These were 6v electrics and never fitted with an electric starter.
    I have a CB200 bottom end complete with starter motor, relay and wiring. Got to wondering if would be feasible to convert my bike to 12v and fit the E starter.

Main obstacle seems to be that the upper crankcase casting does not have the hole for the motor. Has anyone any experience of opening this hole to take the motor? Is there just a thin wall present or would I have to bore out the full depth of hole that is present on the CD200 casting?

Any thoughts on the project would be appreciated.

It's a lot of work but you could do it though you'd still need to upgrade all the bulbs, fit a starter switch, the solenoid and starter cable somewhere in the wiring as well as getting the insurance for a modified bike...
    2002 GSXR1000
    2005 R6
    2003 R6
    2003 Hyosung Comet 125
    1983 CB250RS
    1979 T140E Bonneville
    1976 CB360
    1975 T160 Trident
    1974 CL450
    1972 CB500/Four K1
    1972 CB350/Four K1
    1972 A100 Suzuki
    1957 T100

I just use the cb200 cases and transmission ( 5 speed vs the cd175's 4speed) drop your cd 175 crank into the 200 cases then swap the engine studs and fit the Cd175 top end on. You need to drill one small hole in the 200 cases to oil the points side of the cam otherwise it's all plug and play stuff no machining just swapping parts

The problem with your plan is you need the hole to be precise, the starter mounts need boring and threading and there's no starter clutch on the Cd175 rotor
    Last edited by Simo; 10-06-2016 at 02:31 AM.
    Blood, Sweat, & Gears
    Buy a Hondatwins T-shirt
    sales supporting 66Sprint's 2016 LSR Build

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for those thoughts chaps, all comments gratefully received. I will consider all options before deciding how to proceed.
    It seems a pity to have a good starter and all the ancillaries lying under the bench and none on the bike!
    bilbikek411 likes this.

as well as getting the insurance for a modified bike...
    You really think they'd worry about a 40+ year old 'classic' bike ?

I'd just say it came like that, one of the many variations over the years.

But then, I'm probably irresponsible and reckless ....
    Alex jb and bilbikek411 like this.
    1972 Honda CL175

1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

Dead right, it makes not a jot of difference to insurance. I didn't tell them when I fitted a carrier and top box either!

Well, it doesn't look as if there is anyone out there who has done this mod so I have thought out a method and intend to record it with instructions and pictures that may be of help to any others contemplating it.
    I would probably not be considering it but for the fact that I have most of the required parts available in good condition. Also having been brought up on old British bikes it seems a pity to have a Japanese classic without all the conveniences they are famed for.

First priority is to do as little work as possible. I have no desire to do any major dismantling and certainly will not consider taking the engine out of the frame.
    The only real difficulty is making the hole in the upper crankcase to take the nose of the starter motor. The holes to fix it are there, filled with blanking screws as show in picture 1.

Fitting a starter motor to a UK CD175 ?-1.jpg

Picture two shows what we are met with upon removal of the LH engine cover. There is a blind tunnel for the motor nose which is undersize as it has not been milled out and a wall of about 5mm thick.

Fitting a starter motor to a UK CD175 ?-2.jpg

Task is to mill out this blind hole to 46mm, concentric with the casting and on the same axis as the motor armature. Should be easy enough
    Will set about it tomorrow and post the results.
    Alex jb likes this.

You'll also need to strip the rotor and sprag clutch from the cb200. Your rotor doesn't have a sprag on it ( I'd take the whole rotor/sprag as one piece as the screws are staked
    nigelrharris03 likes this.
    Blood, Sweat, & Gears
    Buy a Hondatwins T-shirt
    sales supporting 66Sprint's 2016 LSR Build

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

I'll watch this with interest. I have already made my CD175 12v.
    In the process I did temporarily use the yellow/red wire for another reason, but I believe it was for the elec start.
    Thought about the starter button? Think you will need CB controls for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Alex jb; 10-16-2016 at 02:41 PM.

Before continuing I must describe the tool I made up in readiness. I will not go into the details of how I assembled it as readers will have their own way of achieving the same end and probably make a better job of it. A basic engineering and turning ability is assumed.

First purchase a 46mm hole cutter. I found one on eBay. Probably best not to use a really cheap import. Now procure a length of 9mm silver steel. This is to be the axis to guide the cutter. Make a close fitting collar to fit the rod and equip it with a locking screw. The overall diameter must be sufficient to fit inside the hole cutter.

Fitting a starter motor to a UK CD175 ?-11.jpg

I then found a piece of brass bar from the scrap box and fitted it securely to the cutter. With the bar mounted in the 4 jaw so the cutter runs as true as possible I bored a 9mm hole through the bar to a running clearance on the silver steel rod. I then fitted a short stub of the 9mm steel in the end for the chuck of my electric drill.

It should look like this

Fitting a starter motor to a UK CD175 ?-12.jpg

It must be remembered that these hole cutters are not precision tools. Mine was not even perfectly circular. I had to give it a squeeze in the vice to improve it. I then spun it on the axis rod while applying a small grinder to the outside with a Dremel drill. Without this precaution it is likely to make an oversize hole. Make a test bore on an ally plate clamped in the vice onto a piece of wood. Run a 9mm drill through first. Then insert the axis rod and run the cutter on it.

Time to attack the bike. Take a piece of scrap metal plate and make a disc with a small central hole (about 2mm) to be a close fit in the blind hole in the casting. Hold this disc in the casting and use it as a guide to drill through the wall. I then passed through a couple of larger drills as shown.

Fitting a starter motor to a UK CD175 ?-3.jpg

In order to keep the hole central I increased the size with a succession of tapered reamers until the 9mm rod was a snug fit.

Fitting a starter motor to a UK CD175 ?-4.jpg

Next step is to remove the back plate from the starter motor. Loosely fit it to the crankcase with two 6mm bolts. It will be found that the 9mm rod is an exact fit in the bush in the end plate. Install the axis rod and tighten the motor fixing bolts. The locking boss must be fitted tight up against the outside of the casting as shown below.

Fitting a starter motor to a UK CD175 ?-5.jpg
    Fitting a starter motor to a UK CD175 ?-6.jpg

Should have mentioned that the length of the bar will have to be reduced, the depth of hole in the brass bar of the cutter will determine the length to enable the cutter to go right through.
    Time now to offer up a prayer and have a cup of tea before the real fun starts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fitting a starter motor to a UK CD175 ?-3.jpg   Fitting a starter motor to a UK CD175 ?-4.jpg  
    Last edited by Rod Fryatt; 10-17-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links