Honda Twins banner

Yet another 175 question

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  never2old4fun 
#1 ·
:?: I ‘m sure the experts here know the answer to this.
In the engines I’ve opened up their appears to be scaring in left and right cylinder head covers in the area where the cam ends ride.
My question is: is this a common or inherent problem that the 175’s have?
Or might it be an oiling issue from insignificant pressure?
Also might their be away to increase the pressure to these areas or maybe to increase the pressure overall.
Thanks for the replies :D .

#2 ·
It's likely an oiling issue....Quite common, particularly on the points (left) side
Racers bore out the oil pump and use the larger CB/CL 200 piston and enlarge the passages/orifices...... It's more a volume than a pressure set-up, so any reduction in flow restriction is a good thing.......We've actually gone so far as to polish the passageway studs to reduce friction so the oil can flow by more easily......

#3 ·
66Sprint said:
It's likely an oiling issue....Quite common, particularly on the points (left) side
Racers bore out the oil pump and use the larger CB/CL 200 piston and enlarge the passages/orifices...... It's more a volume than a pressure set-up, so any reduction in flow restriction is a good thing.......We've actually gone so far as to polish the passageway studs to reduce friction so the oil can flow by more easily......
:D Thank You for the Info. So I was wondering, do you race a 175?

#4 ·
Not any longer...... At 60, my reflexes aren't what they used to be...... I am however slowly building a "race engine" to put in my "vintage look" project (Vert frame, sloper bottom end /vert top end, 22mm Keihin carbs, 160/175 combination forks, 305 front drum brakes, Halogen headlight and early 175 speedo in a 160 headlight shell, open CL pipes, etc, etc.....) :D :D :D :D :D Steve

#5 ·
66Sprint said:
Not any longer...... At 60, my reflexes aren't what they used to be...... I am however slowly building a "race engine" to put in my "vintage look" project (Vert frame, sloper bottom end /vert top end, 22mm Keihin carbs, 160/175 combination forks, 305 front drum brakes, Halogen headlight and early 175 speedo in a 160 headlight shell, open CL pipes, etc, etc.....) :D :D :D :D :D Steve
Steve,
I know the feeling. I'm only the few years from there myself.
Your 160/175 project sounds like it's going to be quite the bike when you get it done :cool: .
I'm hoping you'll be putting up some pictures :D .

#7 ·
Steve,
Very nice, but here's somethine else I was wondering.
So I am able to do the oiling mod the right way it looks like I have another question.
After looking at the left & right cylinder hear covers and the access to the holes that supply oil to the cam ends they appear to be quite difficult to enlarge because of the lack of space to access them
So I’m wondering what type of tools or equipment is used to do this mod?
Thanks Again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.