Head gasket sealant
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Head gasket sealant

Ok, I'm ready to ask, although, I think it's a foolish question, here goes:
    Is it imperative that I use gasket sealant when re-assembling my engine?
    Do I just use it for the head gasket or for all of the parts around the cylinders?
    My bike kicks over great every tenth or so kick and does run like gangbusters for a minute or so before stalling out.
    Is there a preferred brand?

NO SEALANT. Head gaskets go on dry. The rest can also, although I like to use a thin film of grease to both hold it in place and ease of removal next time.
    Hondabond is used on crankcase halves.
    1979 CM400T (rider),
    1981 CM400T (in surgery receiving transplant)
    1982 CM450 (parts bike)
    1982 CB450 (parts bike)
    Past rides: Vincents, Triumph, BSA's, Suzuki's, Twingle, Corgy, others.
    Remember, today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.
    My chest fell, but, fortunately, my belt caught it.
    I don't know everything, nor, have I met the one who does.

T-shirt sales supporting 66Sprint's LSR Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

Excellent, thank you. Any thoughts on why my compression is only 90psi. I had the head rebuilt and replaced the rings. I torqued the head down to the tiny 15lbs that the book says. And then, why doesn't it go? It has spark at the plugs and the carb, I rebuilt and it is getting gas. I'm so discouraged. It seems like it ought to go. And, what else should I be thinking about/checking?
    Last edited by Igottago; 05-09-2016 at 05:11 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Were the cylinders honed?

Did you "fit" and measure end gap in the rings, or just install them from the box?

Are you sure you installed the rings in the correct order and with the top sides up?

Are the cam to crank timing, valve clearances, and point timing correctly set?

Are the carbs pre-set to factory defaults?

Etc, etc, etc.....
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 05-09-2016 at 05:55 PM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."

the cylinders were honed. I did not "fit" and measure the end gap in the rings. I've never heard of that I'll have to look it up to see about it. I matched the rings to what I took off and staggered the seams. I was careful about lining up the marks on the cam and the crank. My machinist adjusted the valves before giving it all back. Im pretty sure about the point timing but I did have to reinstall the old points because my new had some kind of problem where they would not close all of the way. I'm checking on getting a new set. Carbs are another one of my question areas. I've heard a couple different thoughts on starting point setting.
    But I get your point, there a lot of different things that could be going on. I feel like I've addressed most of em. It's good to hear about some that I did not know about.

To fit rings, basically put them in the cylinder, measure the gap. Don't remember the specs. That said, in the three honda motors I've built, every new oem ring has been within spec, not requiring filing.

Choke open, throttle wide open when you check compression? Put a couple squirts of oil in the cylinders via spark plug holes then check compression. I've used wd40 before too.

piston ring gaps thread #36 - SL 350 engine rebuild
    Curtis

1969 Honda CL350 K1 - Done (Project Log)
    1970 Honda CT70 Trail K0 - Duckie Mo-Mo (Project Log)
    1971 Benelli Mini Enduro 65cc - No project name yet (future build)
    1999 Honda XR400R - Project "Ranger" Adventure Bike (next build)

I'll try those couple squirts of oil, thanks everyone. I'm sure perseverance will pay off.

Getting your hands on a leak down tester will help you diagnose the problem pretty darn quick. It'll point you towards valves, pistons/rings or head gasket or a combination of the three.
    everything mentioned previously will also be a factor.
    1974 CB550
    1972 CL175

Thanks everyone. I am going to see about a leak down tester. I'm going to pull the engine apart to check the orientation of the rings. Are there connections that should definitely have sealant? Please help me put this together for the last time with tips and advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links