HELLO from Minnesota
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JimmyRiot
  • 2 Post By ctrider

Thread: HELLO from Minnesota

HELLO from Minnesota

Hi everybody, I've been skulking around here for a while & figured I should introduce myself.

I'm Jimmy, a "noob". I finally got a motorcycle, and a cool one from the '70s, just like my amps and basses. It's a running 1971 CB350, gold. I look forward to spiffing it up and having an engrossing hobby while learning a bunch of cool stuff along the way.

This is new to me, and I'll admit I've only driven a bike twice, and more than 20yrs ago at that, but it felt pretty natural & intuitive back then so I'm optimistic! I'll take the MSF course in spring.

I spent my adult life in NYC & DC, and moved here to small-town MN over 2yrs ago. I now have a wife, a basement & an unheated garage. And an Astro van that the bike fits perfectly in

I've been reading Small Engine books, Googling & Wiki-ing all things motorcycle (w/ a heavy emphasis on 70s-era Hondas), prowling Craigslist 3x a day until this week, and watching YouTube videos (I watched all of "Saturday's Wrench" like a damn Netflix binge!). Now I get to jump in, even though I won't be able to actually ride for a while. It's already been a blast prepping for this moment while I hunted for a good 350, setting up a workspace, & accumulating tools (never had a torque wrench or an air compressor before...).

I got my bike from a mechanical engineer & bigtime Honda enthusiast for $1,500 (I do wish folks would mention prices more on here, tacky or not) & I did not try to talk him down. I was just glad it was still there when I arrived (RustyFenders.com). The good ones get snapped up so fast... There's lots of room for improvement on my '71, but it runs, seems sync'd, has new tires & no rips in the seat-- a good place to start. Maybe someday I'll get a non-running barn find or basket case, but I didn't want to get frustrated & possibly defeated my first go-around. And it has a title!

There's so much info here; I'm trying to take a bunch in before I start asking questions that've been covered on here already. In any event I'm pleased to be here as a bone-fide motorcycle owner, and I recognize buying a guitar doesn't make you a guitarist, but I think it'll be a fun ride You guys seem pretty tolerant & accommodating so thanks in advance.

Best, Jimmy

HELLO from Minnesota-r-side.jpgHELLO from Minnesota-img_0745.jpgHELLO from Minnesota-mainimg_0734.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELLO from Minnesota-img_0743.jpg   HELLO from Minnesota-img_0751.jpg  
    bilbikek411 likes this.
    CB350K3

Welcome neighbor.

May not be a great bargain for the northern plains in January but you certainly did not get screwed. IMHO buyer and seller both got treated fairly. You also made an excellent choice for a first bike. While I doubt you'll need to do many of the repairs covered in this thread it does offer suggestions on things you'll want to look at and should help you to become familiar with the bike. I would recommend replacing the brake shoes unless you know that's already been done.

Basic Checklist for that New to You old Bike

PM sent regarding manuals.
    JT
    81 CM400T Under re-construction
    82 GL500

Welcome to the forum Jimmy. In my region, you got a good deal on a running bike in that condition. Money well spent I would say and there is no doubt you will get that out of it in excitement. I was in the same boat as you in 2015, getting my first bike and worrying about overpaying but looking back it has been one of the best purchases and definitely money well spent. Good luck getting the license and enjoy the new purchase!!
    1973 CL350 "Claudia"

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Thanks guys! And JT thanks a lot for the manual. I know I didn't get a steal, but after checking Craigslist & eBay for months they're either incomplete w/ no title for way too much $ 'cause these bikes are "in" these days, or they're "restored" & they want to get reimbursed for their efforts. This one was right in the middle. And there's plenty to do besides polishing aluminum & chrome-- the starter spins but doesn't work so I'll see if it needs a clutch rebuild, I want to do that reg/rec swap, the gas tank could use some attention and/or inline fuel filters, and I should get in to those brakes like you said because the PO did not. Those CMC mufflers look good too...

That checklist is great. It helped me from making an impulse buy months ago on a jacked CB175
    Last edited by JimmyRiot; 01-06-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: wanted to add something i forgot
    CB350K3

Nice find! And I've grown to prefer the small basement shop to the unheated garage. -10 here now

A fair deal in my opinion!
    you will be paid back with the smile factor each time
    you go for a ride!!
    I have been riding for nearly 40 years and I am still
    like a kid waiting for spring!!
    dtsmjr8dan and bilbikek411 like this.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson

1970 CB350
    1974 CT70
    1977 XL75
    2005 PW80

Welcome to the site Jimmy. That seems a great price, over here in the UK it would be double that.

Irene
    Irene

CB200 project bike
    1977 CB200 Olive
    1979 CD185
    1976 CB360 Amber

Welcome to the forum Jimmy,nice CB350K3.

Hi Jimmy. I have spent a lot of time in the North East end of your state camping and fishing. Great place to live. The starter has a sprocket on the end that drives a chain that turns the starter clutch. It might be an easy fix. Lets hope so'

Bill

Born in and lived in Minnesota for 38 years before heading south. These old Honda twins are pretty simple and fun to work on. Welcome!

Sponsored Links