Why do I do this to myself..greetings from the bush
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By kermit
  • 3 Post By kermit

Thread: Why do I do this to myself..greetings from the bush

Why do I do this to myself..greetings from the bush

While looking for a bike for my wife, I found 2 Honda 350's. An old biker had a 1972 CL350 Scrambler and a 1970 SL350 that he wanted out of his storage shed since he had given the house to his daughter. Both of these bikes have not seen the light of day since 1986 and are a total mess of abuse. Most people would have laughed at them and told him to send it to the scrap heap, however I am not that smart. So the bikes were dropped off at my place and now are registered to me.

Both bikes are bad ...very bad to the point where I should have called the SPCB.. (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Bikes).

So both bikes were power washed and only looked somewhat better then both broken down into every single piece that they were made of. The engines were both taken down to just the gearbox left and evaluated. Both cylinders on both engines had deep scratches and were bored out to .025 over and sand blasted clean and ready to go. One engine is going to receive a new alloy cam roller set and one set is serviceable. Both have gasket and seal kits already purchased. The cases are going to be polished and the fins black. Both the gear boxes are good as are the crank bearings and rods. Mileage is around 8000 each.

The tanks were both heavily dented and the inside on both are clean. Both tanks have the dents removed, filler applied as well as two coats of high build primer. I have to sand down the primer and add a little more light filler to finalize the tanks.

I am doing both at once ( like I said...not too smart) and since they are not worth the grief to take back to original, I will be making a couple of fun bikes. Normally my bike of choice is old Goldwings and I have a couple resto mods 78,80 and a stock 84. We have a beautiful stock 1975 Honda 360T for my wife and her starter bike is a 1970 Kawasaki G3SS.

We live in Goulais River Ontario which is north of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario and Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan

All the best for the holidays too!
    ctrider and longdistancerider like this.

Kermit, welcome to HondaTwins. You are in good company here and speaking for the entire site, those two bikes are a brilliant acquisition! I once bought a new red '75 CB360T from the US Navy Exchange at NB Subic. Rode that one all over the Philippians. I've never owned a 350, but I really enjoy the 450. I also have a couple of Goldwings, an '81 Standard which is undergoing a total strip down and a '85 1200 Interstate. I purchased the 85 this fall from an older gentleman who had let it sit since 2006. I will be finishing up the carburetors today and next is brakes and tires. Still to go are is pull and lube the drive shaft and new oil and seals for the front and rear shocks. One more thing, all of on this site love to see photos of people's projects.
    Jim Palmer
    '85 GL1200I (Garage Find)
    '81 GL1100 STD (Project)
    CB450 K5 Done
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...s-cb450k5.html
    "If everything seems under control you are not going fast enough" Mario Andretti...

Welcome to the forum. Got any pics of the bike(s) ?
    1979 CM400T (rider),
    1981 CM400T (in surgery awaiting transplant)
    1982 CM450 (parts bike)
    1982 CB450 (parts bike)
    Past rides: Vincents, Triumph, BSA's, Suzuki's, Twingle, Corgy, others.
    Remember, today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.
    My chest fell, but, fortunately, my belt caught it.
    I don't know everything, nor, have I met the one who does.

T-shirt sales supporting 66Sprint's LSR Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I have a few on my phone and will post them when I do a down load at work ...I only have a cell for internet....welcome to the bush!

Hi James

These are the goldwings...the 1980 was purchased for $400 and was a fun build with the final cost at $1800...

Why do I do this to myself..greetings from the bush-20160806_140645.jpgWhy do I do this to myself..greetings from the bush-20160806_141427.jpgWhy do I do this to myself..greetings from the bush-20160403_171347.jpg

The rest are on my phone will add later....

Thanks and have a great holiday!
    ctrider, 83XLX and ancientdad like this.

Nice work. I really like that grey. What is it called?
    1979 CM400T (rider),
    1981 CM400T (in surgery awaiting transplant)
    1982 CM450 (parts bike)
    1982 CB450 (parts bike)
    Past rides: Vincents, Triumph, BSA's, Suzuki's, Twingle, Corgy, others.
    Remember, today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.
    My chest fell, but, fortunately, my belt caught it.
    I don't know everything, nor, have I met the one who does.

T-shirt sales supporting 66Sprint's LSR Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

Hi
    Not sure on the grey as it was a mix job and the copper is Copperhead (Chrysler)

Welcome to the forum kermit. Really nice looking goldwings you have there. Best of luck on your project(s)!
    1973 CL350 "Claudia"

Hey there, I'm bringing one back from the junkyard too and I figure you can do it for around 1000$.

Considering that Canadians are paying about 40% more it adds up real fast. A new set of tires,tubes and rubber strips was $229 which converted to $329 then on top of that our 13% tax for a nice bill of $371. I could have run the tires as they were, however the 30 plus year old rubber was hard and dry. Quality paint is a real killer here too...how about $350 in just paint alone to do a tank and side covers...( not including sanding or filling materials) and that was at commercial prices not retail. When I did the GoldWing the cost it carry out powder coating was another fast $400...Brake lines another $200 etc etc etc...

I am trying to keep the costs down to a dull roar on the 350's and hoping that I can put together a couple fun bikes for around $1000 each too. I buy most things in double amounts ( like twice the paint prep stuff) and use up things that I have. Some things you just need to do a good job, like tires. Both engines need work, bad. So the cylinders got bored out .025 over ( $50 each and piston kits $90 each), seal and gasket kits another $100 (one full set) . Luckily the exhaust on the CL is good and I have a nice base to make a good set. The other exhaust is scrap...so I will be fabbing up something weird and wonderful for that puppy.....

Sponsored Links