66Sprint's Land Speed Record bike build and attempt.....
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: 66Sprint's Land Speed Record bike build and attempt.....

66Sprint's Land Speed Record bike build and attempt.....

As many of you are aware, I am currently in the process of designing and building a Turbo-charged Honda 175 to attempt to break the record that is currently held by 5points, another member of our group..... His record is 70.033MPH......(Turbo Honda 175 for LSR attempt.... )
    This project started with a few comments I made about how a bike that will go 79 to 80 MPH normally aspirated SHOULD be able to do at least that with a turbocharger installed.....A few days later, I received a challenge to do just that, in the form of an anonymous package containing a small VZ21 turbocharger, in the mail.....
    SO...... I started gathering up the components to build such a bike.....I'm donating the frame, most of the required engine components (still need new pistons and rings and a gasket set), both wheels (need new tires for the salt and new wheel bearings installed), a set of 160 forks and triples, and a box full of miscellaneous bits.....Another member donated an Emgo 1/4 fairing..... Yet another had previously given me a suitable stock carb..... Still another donated a new set of "drag" bars, etc....
    Even with all these parts, and in order to complete the bike in a timely manner, I'm going to need additional help....(I had to scrounge for a month just to be able to get a $75 SCTA yearly membership, which is a requirement to race)....Ultimately, I'll get a crowd-funding site set up (I'll need help to do that), but in the meantime, any members who are willing and able to contribute financially can do so via PayPal using my e-mail address ( Sixtysixsprint@aol.com ) as the account identifier....
    Building the bike is only half the battle....Getting it and a crew to Bonneville will be a task in itself......
    I would LIKE to think of this project as a "Hondatwins" combined effort, rather than just an individual one.....

Thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 03-05-2016 at 10:19 PM.
    Number13, JamesPal and taz1969 like this.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."

Subsribed, ill send what I can.
    Blood, Sweat, & Gears
    Buy a Hondatwins T-shirt
    sales supporting 66Sprint's 2016 LSR Build

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

On it's way.
    JT
    81 CM400T Under re-construction
    82 GL500

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Hi Steve,

I may be able to help you out on the crowd funding site, let me see how busy my computer geek is. What would be the target $. What might you have for sponsor space (trailer, van)?

I'm afraid my knowledge of 175's is puddle deep. What do I need to know to inquire about pistons, rings (I see a pile of sizes on ebay) and gasket sets. Do the wheels (18's?) need to be from a 175 or are there substitutes. The forks and triples, CB160? What does the box of "miscellaneous bits" include. I know some collectors (closer to hoarders) and a couple salvage shop owners.

My neighbor is heading by your door in the next couple weeks, so I'll see what I can come up with.

Brent

Brent, give me a phone call, or PM me your phone number...... Mine is 540-525-5199.....Steve
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."

This topic will be made a "sticky" so all interested (including me) can find it easily......LOL....
    It WILL after all be my "to-do list.....and help us keep track of progress....

Parts/components wanted will appear in red....
    Parts/components ordered/being fabricated will appear in blue.....
    Finished or received parts/components will appear in green....
    Once they are attached/installed on the bike, they will appear in purple....

TURBOCHARGER.......(My thanks to the anonymous donor)...
    Single carb CD 175 head......(Thanks Lefty)(See PM about the 160 front hub)...
    Rebuild-able waste-gate actuator (so springs can be changed to get the desired low boost pressures)
    Rebuild-able "pop-off" valve (for the same reasons)
    Rebuild components for the CD 22mm carb...MUST also find a set of floats (non-brass-tank) that will take carb bowl pressurization)
    A CB200 tank would be nice....(heavier tank will take internal pressurization better without deforming)....
    ​Oil tank/cooler finned unit......
    Ecotrons electric oil pump.....
    A variety of "cam-loc" fasteners and receptacles for attaching bodywork....(thanks Bud....)

A "Spare" set of CL 175 "sloper" engine cases would be nice to have....
    As would a "Spare" CD 175 "vertical" (single carb) Cylinder head.....
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 02-26-2016 at 09:05 AM.

When you make it out to Bonneville give me a shout. I live in SLC.
    1972 CL175k6 Cafe/Brat, "Lil Espo"
    1985 VF700C Magna
    1980 CB750F Super Sport full ground up rebuild WIP

You volunteering to help on the pit crew?.......
    papinbrew likes this.

Thinking about ordering the mandrel bends to start fabrication on the pipes.....I'll need those regardless of the specific rules......
    longdistancerider likes this.

Sounds awesome, I am digging back into my wife's CL175 so I have an interest in this.
    BTW, check your PMs.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links