Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sunter Honda

Sunter Honda

Bespoke racing parts made for the Honda CB350K in the UK by Jon Sunter have arrived.

http://www.sunterhonda30.co.uk

Months of research, one e-mail inquiry and a prompt reply, followed by an international wire transfer, 15 nail biting weeks later and I am rewarded with some very trick bits! And I must say, it was well worth the wait!

I am duly impressed. The apparent build quality of these parts is outstanding. I'm a handy guy in the workshop but I could not have built anything that looks so nice. It's almost a shame the parts are going on a lowly Honda CB350 instead of something a bit more exotic and worthy!

Jon Sunter is a true gentleman for putting up with all my e-mail messages and the inherent hassle of dealing with international customers. I feel really fortunate that craftsmen such as him exist to supply this niche market and I would not hesitate to recommend his business to others.

Front Fairing Probe - Stage 4

Front fairing probe for mounting fiberglass bodywork to Honda CB350 race bike. Includes lugs for mounting rev counter bracket, fork lock stops with nylon ends, front aluminum extension with upper fairing mounting frame, front locking washer, safety pin and aluminum rev counter bracket.

Rear Top Fairing Mount

Fits standard Honda CB350K frame. Made of 6082 aluminum alloy. Includes cross bar, frame mounting tabs, 2 x tapered outside washers and countersunk bolts that are screwed into short extensions that stay attached to fairing, 2 x R-clips for quick release. Fully adjustable to suit most any fairing.

Rear Top Fairing Mount Detail

Fairing Belly Pan Mount

Fits standard Honda CB350K frame. Rigidly fixes the rear belly pan in position.

Fairing Belly Pan Mount

Front Mudguard

Very lightweight fiberglass construction. White gelcoat ready for sanding, primer and paint. Requires only minimal preparation for finish. No pin holes.

Clutch Pushrod Seal Retainer

High crankcase pressure can cause the clutch pushrod seal located behind the countershaft sprocket cover to become dislodged and cause a major oil leak. This aluminum keeper device prevents that from happening. No one besides me will ever see this part but it sure is pretty, though! Combined with a vented oil filler cap I should have no worries.

Swingarm Bushings

Replacement swing arm steel bushes for standard swing arm. Made from EN36, hardened and ground to size. These are aftermarket replacements for Honda part numbers 52141-268-000 and 52141-286-000, which are no longer available new anywhere as far as I am aware. Mine were all corroded and pitted so I'm very thankful I found these new replacements to take the last bit of compliance out of the swingarm pivot!

Re: Sunter Honda

Wow, that is some beautiful pieces, exceptional work. Shame to have to cover it up with a fairing. Please post a pic when you get them installed. I have his site bookmarked for the future, thanks.
    Perry

1972 Honda CB350 / 1982 Honda MB5 / 2009 Suzuki Gladius / 1978 Honda XL250S

I think its great to fly the flag a bit for a great British engineer. What's so embarassing though is that I did not know of his existance
    Nige
    CB450K0 Bomber 1967
    CB650Z 1978

Here is a pic of the clutch pushrod seal retainer fitted and safety wired. I had to remove the neutral switch for it to fit. I measured the hole depth and then found a M6x1.00 bolt in my spare parts pile and took it to the grinding wheel to shorten it. You want good thread engagement but you don't want the bolt to bottom out. And wouldn't you know the bolt is stainless steel and I forgot to apply anti-seize compound so I've got to take it back out and redo it. I'll be a pro at safety wiring by the time this bike is finished!

Alternatively, you can make your own with a bit of scrap metal and a fender washer.

Would it not be possible to mount the neutral switch as well and just use a slightly longer M6 Allen screw and modifing the bracket to bend down behind the seal retainer? That way you will also keep the loom support that comes with the neutral switch mounting
    Nige
    CB450K0 Bomber 1967
    CB650Z 1978

I suppose it may be possible to modify the neutral switch to make it work. I decided to put it in a carefully labeled zip loc bag and stow it away with the rest of the street equipment to make my life easier. But where there's a will there's a way!

The Seal keeper looks like it's made of 1/8" (3mm) Aluminium is that about right?
    1972 CB 350 K4 Red - Current Project, Working Out the Bugs ! !
    1972 CB 350 K4 Green DONE - YES !,
    1970 CB 350 CAFE Project in waiting,
    1st Bike 1970 SL 350 (Brought home in Parts - Trailer/Trunk/Back Seat - I miss that bike),

Have you gotten around to installing them yet, would love to see them all in place with the fairing.
    Perry

1972 Honda CB350 / 1982 Honda MB5 / 2009 Suzuki Gladius / 1978 Honda XL250S

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor
    The Seal keeper looks like it's made of 1/8" (3mm) Aluminium is that about right?
    It's closer to 3/16". But it doesn't really matter. You can make it from whatever scrap you have on hand since both pieces (keeper and standoff bushing) will be hand fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by HerrDeacon
    Have you gotten around to installing them yet, would love to see them all in place with the fairing.
    No, not yet. With my wedding just around the corner I haven't had much time for motorcycles lately!

I did fabricate a few different prototypes for the bracket that will be welded to the head tube for affixing the front fairing probe but I didn't like any of them. This entire build has been like that: I've done some things 3 or 4 times until they were exactly right. So back to the drawing board.

The latest idea is to take a piece of 1/2" thick steel plate and mill a groove so it can straddle the seam on the head tube. This will allow me to fit the plate tightly against the frame so I can weld the bracket to the frame while staying clear of the VIN stamp on the head tube. I'll drill two holes in this mounting plate for the weld-ons provided by Jon Sunter (the weld-on lugs are just pieces of solid steel rod that have been drilled and tapped). The steering stops attached to the fairing probe seem to be designed for a bike with more fork offset than mine so the 1/2" thick plate will also allow me to affix my own adjustable steering stops. The 1/2" mounting plate will also allow me to affix my transverse mounted steering damper ahead of the front forks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links