Honda XR400R
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Honda XR400R

Talking Honda XR400R

All,

I have a serious problem . I am addicted to building bikes . My first was a really sweet 1969 CL350 Scrambler which is a great little bike for cruising around town and hitting the back roads. The next one is a 1970 CT70 MiniTrail that I am building for my kiddos for when we go camping in the airstream and going to the grandparents. It will be done by the end of February. (project logs in my signature)

So now... My search for the next project starts. I am looking for a Honda XR400R dual-purpose that I can transform into an adventure bike for hitting the really nasty stuff with fishing and camping gear to really get away. I'm talking "Long Way Round" type weekend adventures where there are no real roads only trails to remote fishing spots.

Here is my current thoughts on a build aka. Honda XR400R "Ranger":

Stroke motor to a 440CC thumper
    Update Electrics to full LED
    Update front light to a dual hella type or large PIAA
    Update electrics to have a dual USB for charging accessories
    Update Plastics to streamline the look
    Update Frame with extra welded structural pieces to handle panniers and their weight
    Paint or use "wrap" to give a new look to the bike - I like the thought of a wrap that I can replace if it gets damaged
    Updated brush guards and rock guard
    Spare fuel tank or Jerry can
    Panniers for my gear

Optional - May try and incorporate a 12V battery into the wiring harness to use when camping for supplemental light

So the search begins...
    bilbikek411 and doode like this.
    Curtis

1969 Honda CL350 K1 - Done (Project Log)
    1970 Honda CT70 Trail K0 - Duckie Mo-Mo (Project Log)
    1971 Benelli Mini Enduro 65cc - "Faust" (future build)
    1999 Honda XR400R - Project "Ranger" Adventure Bike (next build)

Curtis, it would be nice if you could get a kit from Baja Designs(there are less expensive street kits too) to make it street legal also ,just a thought..
    Last edited by bilbikek411; 01-09-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Well to get to the places I want I would need a street legal bike. Here in TX the only thing needed would be to have a front and back light and a horn in order to pass DMV. What is a Baja Design? Link?
    Curtis

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

HOLY CRAP Bill - Those are AWESOME lights!!!

I really like this one and its only 20W - https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...ving-combo.asp

Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by ScramblerCurtis View Post
    Well to get to the places I want I would need a street legal bike. Here in TX the only thing needed would be to have a front and back light and a horn in order to pass DMV. What is a Baja Design? Link?
    Baja Designs is a co. out in CA. that's been making upgraded stators & lighting kits to turn dirt bikes into street bikes for a few decades(I don't have a link but it might be bajadesigns.com or something..)and they're like the industry leader for these kits etc. but are a small independent co.,they have good quality.
    I was just looking on google and saw a few different people who had made their XR400R street legal,one is in TX.

I like that headlight you just posted !
    Last edited by bilbikek411; 01-09-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Curtis,
    I found a 99' XR400R on CL in the Houston area(Friendswood)if you look there,the man lists his ph.# also,says he's waiting on the title to come in the mail to him right now;it's just been listed 23hrs. ago,man's name is Jeremy.

I need to learn how to post links on my computer.
    Last edited by bilbikek411; 01-09-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Yep I saw that one - I'm going to Houston on the 25th and I will try and stop by to inspect it.
    bilbikek411 likes this.
    Curtis

Well I'm going to Houston Tuesday for work and will go buy and see Jeremy with the XR400R. He has the bonded title in his name so its all legit. My main concern now is his price.

I've been looking all over for XR400 and CRF450X (the enduro). The going price for a titled 2006-2009 CRF450X is about $2500-$3500 with electric start, water cooled and fuel injection. At $1800 for a 17YO bike, when I can get an electric start/fuel-injected for $1000 more, seems like a pretty high price tag for a kicker/carb. Prices I have seen are from $1000-$3000 for the XR400 with the $3000 being a lunatic on his price. Most are about $1600-$1700.

Anyone care to opine?
    bilbikek411 likes this.
    Curtis

When you go take a look at Jeremy's XR400R it will be interesting to see the condition of the bike including the 'look' of the engine oil,wheels,drivechain,etc. to see if it's been well taken care of and just how many hrs./miles use it's had on it.

I'm not too familiar w/ the CRF450X and don't know what type of 'user friendly' way it would be,like if you could do your own repair to the electronic/computer fuel injection,etc. or would need to take it to a Honda dealer.I think the XR400R w/ it's kickstart only might be lighter? or more dirtbike oriented but I'm just guessing.

I read once about a guy who rode dirtbikes out in remote places and remember his comments about preferring air cooled bikes for their simplicity.......

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links