Getting old 1974 CB450 up and running! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Getting old 1974 CB450 up and running!

To remove the JIS screws, believe it or not, but I find the Honda tool kit #1 JIS with the Tee handle to be about the best thing to remove screws. JIS screws are different than Phillips. A JIS screw can be identified by a small dot next to the driver cross on the screw head. A JIS screw differs from a Phillips head by the fact the Phillips is designed to cam out of the screw head when under a lot of torque. You would be surprised how much purchase you can get on a bodged screw when you put the correct driver in it. JIS stands for Japanese Industrial Standard.

Once the screw will not accept the JIS driver, the next step is the impact hammer with the Phillips head tip. It may help to lay the bike on its side to get a lot of pressure on the driver. Be sure to turn the driver in a counter clock wise direction be fore you strike it with the hammer. I like to tap the driver tip in to try to reform the screw head to match a Phillips head shape.

If the srew head becomes too messed up for the phillips, the next step is the straight slot. Get a Dremel grinder with the fiber cut off wheel. Cut a slot across the head of the screw. Then pound the impact driver straight slot tip into the slot, slip the impact driver over the tip and start pounding the screw again.

If that fails, drill the head of the screw off. Get and electric drill with a 1/4 inch drill. The 1/4 in drill is slightly bigger than the 6mm screw shank. There should be enough of the original cross slot in the screw head to assist in centering the of the drill. Carefully drill into the screw until the head pops off. Do not go deeper than the thickness of the screw head. If you are off center you do not want to drill the case. After the other screws are out the cover should lift off and you can grab what is left of the screw with a vise grip.

If you choose to use a stainless steel allen head screw set, be sure to use anti-seize compound and reduce the torque to about 6-8 foot pounds. Good luck and keep us posted.
    fillmarr likes this.
    Jim Palmer
    '85 GL1200I (Garage Find)
    '81 GL1100 STD (Project)
    CB450 K5 Done
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...s-cb450k5.html
    What I learned from Restoring a CB450 K5
    Watch Mike and Jim Take on Mt Erie Washington State
    "If everything seems under control you are not going fast enough" Mario Andretti...

One more thing, do you have a copy of the Honda Factory Shop Manual? Ther eis not substitute for the real thing. If not PM me with your email address. I can send you a .pdf of it.
    Jim Palmer
    '85 GL1200I (Garage Find)
    '81 GL1100 STD (Project)
    CB450 K5 Done
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...s-cb450k5.html
    What I learned from Restoring a CB450 K5
    Watch Mike and Jim Take on Mt Erie Washington State
    "If everything seems under control you are not going fast enough" Mario Andretti...

Quote Originally Posted by fillmarr View Post
    I got all the little screws on it loosened up too (per the strip down video ancientdad posted by common motors--awesome).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You give me too much credit... I didn't post the Common Motor video and I'm not in agreement with some of their methods, but it is a help to see the engine come apart (despite some of the ways they make it happen). The engine cover you referenced is commonly called the clutch cover (or right crankcase cover) - the clutch, oil pump, centrifugal oil filter, shift shaft and kickstart shaft are all accessed under that cover

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Getting old 1974 CB450 up and running!

UPDATE! All but ready to pull the engine out (I know, it's taken me a while). Before I go doing anything stupid I have two questions:

1) It seems there is only one electrical wire left that I need to deal with to pull the engine out...the wire the connect to the "points"/spark advancer. I see now from the CommonMotors video that those wires unsnap right above the unit at the bike frame. But why is the whole Points/Spark Advancer disassembly necessary? (see 4:19 here: www. youtube.com/watch?v=YTQKbcovG3A)

2) Also, is it because my engine is seized that this bolt only turns counter-clockwise (unbolting itself) and doesn't turn clockwise at all (to turn the engine?) (see 9:40 here: www. youtube.com/watch?v=nDvghJiJGFc)

Thanks!
    Phil
    Last edited by fillmarr; 05-10-2017 at 07:48 PM.
    Boston, MA. Proud owner of a $700, 1974 Honda CB450 K7 that doesn't run. Looking for advice on getting running and looking sharp. No need for perfection, but trying to show the bike some respect!

No need to take the points system apart, you will do that later when the engine is out of the bike. I do recommend pulling both of the engine covers off on the bottom side as well as the starter. Getting the covers off while its in the bike is also easier then on the bench since the engine can't get away from you. That will give you some lifting points and remove the weight of the starter as well. Also since the engine is top heavy and has a tendency to roll onto its exhaust side, remove the exhaust valve inspection cover. If it does roll it won't crush that cover, trust me on this.

Turning the engine now doesn't do anything as you've found out, that bolt is what keeps the rotor ON but while setting points and cam chain you will turn it in the direction of running rotation, IE CCW. If its stuck badly you are miles from there lol.

When you get to the point of removing the engine, if you don't have any help, leave the bottom bolts in place. Lean the bike over onto its side and support the engine on a box or a milk crate. Then pull the last bolts and lean the frame back up off the engine. With a little luck the engine will stay put with little fuss. Installing it back in works just the same but in reverse.
    540nova and fillmarr like this.
    Franz >>> 450 build >>>360 Build

Quote Originally Posted by frogman79 View Post
    When you get to the point of removing the engine, if you don't have any help, leave the bottom bolts in place. Lean the bike over onto its side and support the engine on a box or a milk crate. Then pull the last bolts and lean the frame back up off the engine. With a little luck the engine will stay put with little fuss. Installing it back in works just the same but in reverse.

Excellent advice- thanks! Is there a better side to lay the motor cycle down on? I was thinking of doing this trick at first, but wasn't sure if it would crush the rotor (regardless of whether or not the cover was on there or not).

Thanks again

Boston, MA. Proud owner of a $700, 1974 Honda CB450 K7 that doesn't run. Looking for advice on getting running and looking sharp. No need for perfection, but trying to show the bike some respect!

I lay mine over on the right side so I don't push the shift shaft out of place. That's the only thing if I recall that could be damaged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    fillmarr likes this.
    Franz >>> 450 build >>>360 Build

Got the motor out last night! Any advice on getting the pistons free short of disassembling everything? Im going to try magic mystery oil again, and I saw a video (https: //www. youtube . com/watch?v=gRdNinLZdlY) of a guy using a blow torch on the piston heads in the cylinder block. However that seems to suggest I'll need to get the valves machined afterwards. Again, I'm not even sure where I should be trying to crank this engine from to get it loose....my rotor center bolt just un-bolts -- it doesn't turn anything! I guess I should just be using the kickstarter petal with the engine secured on the ground?

Here's a pic. It's going to be a great weekend of wrenching. Yeehaw.

Getting old 1974 CB450 up and running!-img_0414.jpg
    Last edited by fillmarr; 05-19-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Not sure why the picture is upside down!

Quote Originally Posted by fillmarr View Post
    Again, I'm not even sure where I should be trying to crank this engine from to get it loose....my rotor center bolt just un-bolts -- it doesn't turn anything!
    Yeah, the direction of rotation is your issue here, toward unscrew for the bolt - but unless you really got on it hard, it shouldn't come loose just trying to give the engine a little movement, it should be a bit tighter than that for normal running. Right now, it won't matter which way you turn it to break it loose if it's pistons/rings - just tighten the rotor bolt again and try working it in that direction some as the Mystery oil continues to soak... or, just pull the valve covers and break the cam chain somewhere and pull the head off for a look. Gotta happen eventually anyway.
    fillmarr likes this.

Getting old 1974 CB450 up and running!

Got the valve cover off and, voila, pistons were covered in mud inside the valves. Got the left valve cleaned up and moving just fine. The right valve won't give and so it's currently soaking in PB blaster. I tried torching the edges a little bit. And I tried carefully hammering the stuck piston with a hammer (between a wad of cloth). The engine now turns a little bit by lifting the whole engine block with the stuck right piston. Will be hunting online for tricks as I try to slowly loosen this thing up. Anybody have tips?

Here's a pic:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links