This weekend was spent cleaning and tearing down the bike.
Scrubbed the bike from head to toe with Simple Green, which helped a little. Years of road grime a pretty hard to remove in one sitting. But it's good enough to start getting pieces off and the engine out.
First discovery was that the wiring was in worse shape than I thought. For example, an aftermarket ignition was installed and this was how ground was wired.
Bare wire splices (!) were shorting out on the frame in multiple locations. Wire colors weren't standard. I decided to save some sanity and order a new wiring harness from fellow inmate pawelzak. It's on its way from Poland.
Found two broken exhaust studs. Bummer. Was to able to get them out after a PB soak. And holy cow, 3-4 exhaust gaskets stuffed on top of each other in the ports! Various sizes of picks were needed to fish these guys out. The lowest level of gaskets had been in there so long they basically disintegrated when any force was put on them.
Has anyone else ran into trouble removing the foot pegs? One of the bolts on the left side wouldn't come out, it just spins. It looks like a nut was originally welded inside the frame and the welds came loose over time. I had to cut it out with a dremel. The nut was round on the outside, which explains why I couldn't get any leverage on it to hold it still. Looking for advice when it comes time to reinstall... maybe I can simply position a new nut in that box and hold it down enough to tighten the bolt?
Lots of PB Blaster and impact driver got all of the fasteners out without too much drama. They are all in pretty rough shape so I placed an order with Bolt Depot based on the parts list spreadsheet pinned elsewhere on the forum, that was very helpful. For ~$80 I'll have brand new SS fasteners across the board.
The front steering stem bearings are totally shot (lots of forward/backward play). The triple trees and bearing races all came out pretty easily with a few taps from a drift punch. If you haven't seen it, Common Motor did an awesome video on YouTube for replacing your steering bearings.
Removed the swingarm bushings, I'm planning to replace these with new bronze bushings. Surprisingly these hammered out pretty easily as well.
I could not say the same thing about the lower shock bushings. The powder coater recommended that I remove *everything* from the frame because oil and grease could be trapped in there and ruin the finish when it went into the oven, and I believe these were press fit at the factory. No amount of PB blaster and hammering with a socket were moving them for me. I was seriously worried about bending the swingarm with the force I was using. I decided to weaken them from the inside out with a dremel to relieve the pressure, and sure enough that did the trick!
The center pipe bushings came out after lots of soaking and hammering. VIN plate removal was fairly easy. Debating whether to replace the original with one of the retros on eBay. The original is pretty damaged, not from the removal, but sometime in the past My wife thinks it will add character/patina to the finished product, I think it will stick out. Any other opinions
Engine came out pretty easily since I could just lean the frame over at this point onto cardboard.
Black metal is all ready for powder. Tomorrow I'll start the fun part and dig in to the engine.