Sha's 1968 CB350 Project - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Sha's 1968 CB350 Project

sha
    Update for the day:

Took the bike for a (nerve-wracking) spin within the neighborhood to fill up at the gas station so that I can get some Seafoam going through this thing, and while the way there sucked bad, the way home only sucked medium bad. Still bogging down in 3rd, but cleared up a little bit-- all of this will be solved when I clean out the carburetors (along with the rest of the things listed above by me and all of you) but my current focus is going to be the turn signals & Speedometer for a minute.

The flashers stay on and respond to the R/L switch, but they do not blink. Last night, I took apart the switch itself to clean the contacts and ensure that everything was fine inside, added a bit of Dielectric Grease, and put it all back together. Same result (admittedly an anti-climatic moment-- it was so gunked up in there that I thought it certainly wasn't making good contact and causing the problem). Next I'm going to get to the flasher relay and probably replace it with a new solid-state relay that will allow me to replace the signal bulbs with LED bulbs without their speed being altered by lack of resistance/hyperflashing. Also in need of the black plastic piece on the external end of the switch.

Checked both ends of the speedo cable, checked the cable itself for condition and grease (both good), still not getting even a glimmer of response from the needle. Hooked the wheel end of the cable up to my electric drill to test the speedo itself and still got nothing. Needle stuck? We will see in good time.
    Last edited by sha; 12-30-2016 at 06:46 AM.
    1968 CB350 • 1999 Shadow ACE 1100

often the grease in the speedo drives putrifies. on the plastic bodies gauges they can't really be repaired...the metal bodied ones can be taken apart and cleaned but I've never had any luck taking apart the plastic bodies without destroying them.

if your lucky, sometimes if you just run them they will come back to life after a 100 miles or so. but don't count on it.

flasher problems normally work out to be corroded grounds on the lights or incorrect wattage bulbs or just a low battery.

also the mechanical flashers can rust out. the aluminum cover can be removed and sometimes you can chemically derust them and get them working again,
    Last edited by outobie; 12-30-2016 at 10:14 AM.
    bilbikek411 likes this.
    CB350 K5 - Uber Café- Engine build 3
    CL350 K4 - Cafe build done waiting on final assembly
    CB350 K0 - Full restoration w/Hondaline bags & fairing
    SL350 K2 - Bubba Shobert flat track build on deck
    CB-1 400F - unrestored mint rider
    2012 Guzzi V7 Racer - Daily Ride

I've once used a saw to carefully cut the top clear 'window' portion off of a plastic Nippon Seilki speedo on the black plastic part and I then removed the speedo unit from the top.I carefully sanded both parts of the black plastic housing w/ fine emery and matched them and then glued the black plastic housing back together.. which left a noticeable line where i used special glue toward the top of the gauge housing.I just did this for my own bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

sha
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbikek411 View Post
    I've once used a saw to carefully cut the top clear 'window' portion off of a plastic Nippon Seilki speedo on the black plastic part and I then removed the speedo unit from the top.I carefully sanded both parts of the black plastic housing w/ fine emery and matched them and then glued the black plastic housing back together.. which left a noticeable line where i used special glue toward the top of the gauge housing.I just did this for my own bike
    I commend your precision! I'd love a pic.

sha
    So, the project has been slow-going--- I was mugged on Dec 30th and run over by the getaway car (no joke) so I've been laid up with a broken leg and hand. I did go ahead and order new mufflers to be closer to stock, and ordered new tires. I'm just back to moving around, so I'm going to take this time to hobble out there and finally clean out the carbs. Started the bike last Saturday and he started right up for me, though I was running on only the left cylinder. Dallas weather has been great so I hope to get home from work and rest so that I can "meditate" on my bike. (working limited work days of 6 hr shifts, lots of pain and swelling still)

Unfortunately, I was carrying some bike things in the bag that got stolen when they mugged me: 2 spark plugs, 2 gaskets (oil/crankcase & gas tank cap gasket), and possibly... my title). Also got all of the regular stuff: cash, wallet, debit & credit card, ID, CHL, knife. I do not recommend being mugged. Yes, I see the irony of having my CHL and a knife stolen.

Never a dull moment...

Sorry to hear about your mugging. Hope you heal fast and catch the culprit.
    1979 CM400T (rider),
    1981 CM400T (in surgery awaiting transplant)
    1982 CM450 (parts bike)
    1982 CB450 (parts bike)
    Past rides: Vincents, Triumph, BSA's, Suzuki's, Twingle, Corgy, others.
    Remember, today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.
    My chest fell, but, fortunately, my belt caught it.
    I don't know everything, nor, have I met the one who does.

T-shirt sales supporting 66Sprint's LSR Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

Ouch! That's terrible. Hope everything works out for you.
    1969 Honda CL350
    1983 H-D XLX-61 Sportster

well that just sucks. Hope you feel better real soon and
    hope his next victim is a master of the martial arts.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson

1970 CB350
    1974 CT70
    1977 XL75
    2005 PW80

Wow, that sounds brutal, hope you heal up soon. Hope karma pays back that scum down the road.
    Perry

1972 Honda CB350
    / 1978 Honda XL250S / 1982 Honda MB5 / 2014 Honda CB500X

sha
    Thanks all. Ironically enough, I'm usually very able to defend myself, with martial arts or weapon. Not this time. Can't describe how fast it all happened. Went out and started the bike yesterday and discovered a fresh new starter problem.. hooray!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links