Arieon's CM400T Project x3
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arieon's CM400T Project x3

Well guys later on today is the big day! I get my bike and frames, though I do have another one in line. I mean come on, 3 bikes basically $300. Total. One runs, the other two are already tore down to the frame. One frame is nice and glossed.

But guys... Big Problem. Well not really a problem.... But seeing all of your projects, make me wanna scoop up all the cheap ones I can find.

IE this one for $125 OBO.... Tell me not to do it. Please. Almost bought a Magna for $200 but only because I thought it was a CB750. The ad only said 750. I'll end up swamped with bikes. In a love shack of a garage. BUT I could buy, customize, and sell until one stuck with my heart all the way in it... Tell me not to do this... My overtime completely covers the cost of this foolishness... lol I'm hyping myself up. Can you tell?

Here's some pics from the ad , of the bikes I'm picking up today, just to give you an idea of where this project is starting. Because once they're here and the weekend is upon me, I'm going to forget to take pictures. I'll be busy looking for front end swaps and sketching out drawings. On the second one, I'm going to try out fiberglassing. The one that runs will be left as it is... Since it runs. But I'll be head deep in an engine this weekend. Got my shop manual... I'm super excited. Guys thanks for the motivation. The running one, I'll be waiting on my Vermont registration lol. Anyways...

Arieon's CM400T Project x3-parts.jpgArieon's CM400T Project x3-secondframe.jpgArieon's CM400T Project x3-engines.jpgArieon's CM400T Project x3-framepic.jpg
    Last edited by arieon69; 12-11-2016 at 02:56 AM.

So today, I decided to have a look at the 3 Engines I have. Note that one is unseen because it is disassembled, in a tote. I did look at it however. Looks like these was a head gasket issue. One cylinders valves are corroded the other is just carbon-strickened. Same deal with the pistons. Looking at the cylinder walls, they could use a nice hone. There aren't any deep pits in them or anything. However the underside in the middle of the chain drive, there is a nick (I'll have to take a picture later). It's either from incorrectly prying or the chain itself. Nonetheless, it'll be preparing for a full rebuild. That way I'll know what's what.

I opened the valve cover to Engine A. Everything looks good. There isn't a lot of oil in it, I checked the stick. I'll let some oil run down and then see about hand turning it. But it looks like it could be in pretty decent shape. Maybe needing a light rebuild. But I won't know until I completely tear into it.

I oped the valve cover to Engine B. Now this one, I believe was running when pulled. Smells of gas and oil. Not stinky gas either, looks like is was just down for an oil change prior to removing it from the bike. Oil level is great. Nice color to it. This is the one I want to actually run.

Now my question is, how do I go about doing that? The carbs aren't on it and I'd prefer an easy route of just spraying with starting fluid to see if it'lll run. What wire need to be where? Once I'm sure it may run, it'll undergo a light rebuild as I begin planning out these two frames.

Bike number 3 shall be obtained later today. Or at least that is my hope.

Haven't posted in my project thread but its overdue for an update so here we go. Lets talk about the issues I was having. The classic "NO SPARK" issue. Out of the 3 CDI packs I had, I couldn't fathom that all of them were bad. I didn't believe that the odds were THAT stacked against me. I went to my nearby Honda Motorcycle dealer and bought a few parts. New shiny 6x65mm exhaust studs, new spark plug caps, and new spark plugs. Upon installing the new spark plug caps, I noticed that there wasn't any wire showing that could potentially create a spark for the plugs. So I took the end, snipped off about half an inch, and made sure the resistor cap would have wire to make contact with. With the carbs in place, I sprayed starting fluid in both sides. And well, what do you know. It started.

VID LINK: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B36...ew?usp=sharing

The next issue is in the picture below. As you can see, the exhaust stud holes are a little janky on this side. DTSMJR8DAN told me that I'll have to put a helicoil in the top (my best bet), and he said it appears to be a broken stud still in the bottom. Doesn't really look like it to me. But he could be right. Both will probably end up with a helicoil in them. Can't let this hold up the build.

IMAG0259.jpg

Next thing next, moving the shocks to the curve of the frame. In case I've never posted it. Which I'm pretty sure I haven't, a strong part of inspiration for this build came from this bike here.

Arieon's CM400T Project x3-mtm4nje5ntqxndy1otk4nzu5.jpg Arieon's CM400T Project x3-build_63b.jpg

That being said, you can see the placement of the shocks. I need tips on placing them there, ie parts I need and how to go about it. Yes, I have a welder and will be bending tubes to recreate the rear end of this bike. The final product will be a mix of the Alligator (left) and Chinpira (right) as well as a couple this-and-that ideas from other builds. But where the shocks are on the left pic is where I want to be. Those are 12.5" Progressive 970 series shocks. Well out of budget for this build, so I'll be buying, powdercoating, and rebuilding some RFY shocks.

If you haven't met him yet, this is Yuri. My Alaskan Malamute. He will be in and out on the build progress. Talking my ears off half of the time.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by arieon69; 12-25-2016 at 04:00 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Well, the one on the right looks safe enough to ride. The one on the left , I'd stick to the driveway. Great looking dog.
    Last edited by dtsmjr8dan; 12-25-2016 at 08:18 AM.
    1979 CM400T (rider),
    1981 CM400T (in surgery awaiting transplant)
    1982 CM450 (parts bike)
    1982 CB450 (parts bike)
    Past rides: Vincents, Triumph, BSA's, Suzuki's, Twingle, Corgy, others.
    Remember, today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.
    My chest fell, but, fortunately, my belt caught it.
    I don't know everything, nor, have I met the one who does.

T-shirt sales supporting 66Sprint's LSR Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

Quote Originally Posted by dtsmjr8dan View Post
    Well, the one on the right looks safe enough to ride. The one on the left , I'd stick to the driveway. Great looking dog.
    aww man really? I really like that one. What if the mounts were thicker but still some how aesthetically pleasing? I really just don't love the thought of leaving on bits of that stamped metal. Maybe I haven't seen better CMs. Lets research more.

What's your mechanical experience and intended use of the bike?
    If you're handy and only plan on short 5 mile surface street trips, then go for it. Such a et up would not make a good commuter as performance would suffer due to the parts diet

Quote Originally Posted by doode View Post
    What's your mechanical experience and intended use of the bike?
    If you're handy and only plan on short 5 mile surface street trips, then go for it. Such a et up would not make a good commuter as performance would suffer due to the parts diet
    I'm a quick study, I've got about 10 years mechanical experience. I don't have a lot of moto experience however. What do you mean performance would suffer due to parts diet? But it's to be driven mainly street roads and to work which is about 15 miles.

If you can show me something of a better idea. That would be great! I'm currently drawing a blank and can't find anything suitable to my taste.

What about doing that setup but with a monoshock and different swing arm? I thought about that too. I can maintain the look I'm wanting without the sacrifice of safety and performance. I want to have it thought out before I just go cutting but that stamped metal is coming off regardless. Its hideous. IMO
    Last edited by arieon69; 12-26-2016 at 08:51 AM.

10yrs exp is plenty.
    From what others say, tuning without the stock exhaust and air box is a hefty challenge. I'd advise drive with them on, then make your mods without and you'll know whether the aesthetics are worth the performance loss. 15 miles and no highway might be fine... I'd hack up my nighthawk if I didn't have to do the hwy.

Got in some parts yesterday and today. No pictures yet, but a bit of good news. I drilled a better hole for the exhaust. Getting ready to tap it once the sun comes up. If the other one had a bolt stuck in it still, it's gone now. Will post some more pictures once I get the thread installed. 2nd bike engine had a bolt that snapped where the carbs attach to the head. Extractor bits were no dice, so I'm working on just drilling through the bolt and tapping it as well. Wish me luck!

The bottom bolt now holds snug, the top... not so much. I'm going to drill it a little further. If it doesn't work this time, I'm going to go up a size on it. Think I'm going to put some JB Weld around them both after they're snug for added strength. Or should I just tack weld?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links