74 CL450 Resurrection - Page 38
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 74 CL450 Resurrection

The balance dot lines up with the valve stem.

MX317, thanks for correcting me. To make certain I did a quick Google search, and you are absolutely correct! Thankfully, I haven't finished mounting the tire yet.

This evening I fired up my zinc plating set up, so I can re-plate some of the hardware which got missed when I put the front end together last time. I'm even plating the ends of the axle, one end at a time. I could probably get a bigger bucket and do the whole thing at one time, but for me it's not necessary. The center of the axle is hidden in the hub, and I give it a light coat of grease when I assemble it anyway.

74 CL450 Resurrection-apr-21-2017-small.jpg
    Lefty likes this.
    "It's called a kick start. It's how real men start their motorcycles."

I zinc plate too! It makes bits look better than new. Granted it looks like I'm cooking meth in the garage.
    74shovel and danno like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Got the first batch of stuff plated that I needed plated. There will be more after I remove the fork tubes to replace the gaiters. We had a very busy family day today, so I haven't got the chance to polish things up yet, but here's a shot of how everything looks before polishing. I'm real happy with the coverage on the axle. It took a while for the muriatic acid to remove all the rust, and it took even longer to get a good, even coating of zinc, but it should now stay rust free for many years.

74 CL450 Resurrection-apr-22-2017-small.jpg

I was polishing up the hardware this afternoon, when I noticed something odd about the axle caps for the fork tubes. It turns out one end is taller than the other on each of the caps. This is something I have never before noticed on any of the bikes I've worked on. I don't know if this is unique to the forks on CL/CB 450s, or if it's a relatively common thing. So which end is the front and which is the back? Well it turns out there is an "F" cast into the taller end of the caps, so I'm assuming this means "front". If anyone knows more about this, feel free to fill me in.

74 CL450 Resurrection-axle-cap-1-small.jpg74 CL450 Resurrection-axle-cap-2-small.jpg

In other news, I went to finish mounting the front tire after polishing up the hardware, and found there was just too much friction between the new tube and tire to allow me to get the tubes valve stem and the balance dot to align properly. So, I guess all those YouTube videos showing the use of liberal amounts of baby powder while installing a tube and tire must be correct. Tomorrow I'll go pick up some cheap baby powder.

F to the Front tighten the that side first until it bottoms out then tighten the other side. They are made this way to squeeze the axle in place.

All three of my Honda's are like that.

I use liberal amounts of soapy water when I install tires, works wonders.
    Franz >>> 450 build >>>360 Build

I wouldn't get too carried away about aligning the red dot to the valve stem. They didn't even dot the tire when the bike was new. If you within an inch or two it should be fine.
    Jim Palmer
    '85 GL1200I (Garage Find)
    '81 GL1100 STD (Project)
    CB450 K5 Done
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...s-cb450k5.html
    What I learned from Restoring a CB450 K5
    Watch Mike and Jim Take on Mt Erie Washington State
    "If everything seems under control you are not going fast enough" Mario Andretti...

I finally got around to installing the tube and finished mounting the tire on the front rim. The baby powder made an incredible difference! Without the powder the tube and tire just wanted to stick together, the valve stem wound up slightly misaligned and I could not shift things to realign it properly. Once I powdered the inside of the tire and the outside of the tube everything moved freely. The hardest part of the mounting process was getting the last 18-inches of tire bead over the edge of the rim. I had to kneel on the rest of the tire to get enough slack to allow the last bit of bead to slip over the rim. It was a bit of a pain, but I was happy I invested in the three dedicated tire irons I bought. They made the task much easier than when I was a kid using flat-tip screwdrivers. I pumped the tire up to 32 psi, and so far it appears I somehow managed to not puncture the tube during installation (When I was a kid I could expect to put two new holes in a tube for every hole I was trying to patch during the process of remounting a tire).

Based on a couple YouTube videos I watched, I installed the axle, and set the tire between two jack stands in order to start the process of balancing the tire. I didn't get any further than that before family responsibilities called me away from my basement shop. I purchased five ounces of stick-on, chrome, 1/4 ounce, wheel weights from a local bike shop ($1.20 an ounce), and I'm looking forward to balancing a tire for the first time. I know it's something that was never done from the factory, but it doesn't cost much, and looks relatively easy to do, so why not. I'll take a photo or two an post them when I finally get back at it.
    JamesPal likes this.

I've managed to find a little time the last couple days and have made some reasonable progress on the bike. Yesterday I got the front end all back together, and even managed to get the rear wheel removed in preparation for replacing the tire. Today has been spent re-plating various bits of rear wheel hardware, repainting the rear sprocket cover, and removing the old tire from the rim. We have some family stuff planned for tomorrow, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get much more done this weekend.
    74 CL450 Resurrection-back-together-small.jpg

I also wanted to show a comparison photo of the previous reproduction fork gaiters and the new replacements I got from Dime City Cycles. The old ones were nearly perfect reproductions, unfortunately whatever material they made them out of simply disintegrated after just two years. The Dime City Cycle gaiters are shown below installed. They were inexpensive, but they are much more of a generic reproduction, meant to fit several different bikes rather than being model specific. They are a little slimmer than the previous ones, which made installing them a little more difficult. You have to stretch them over the fork lowers and where the mount to the lower triple tree. It's easy to see in the photo how distorted they look. Most people will never notice the fact they don't fit right, so now all I'm concerned about is if they will last longer than the previous set.
    74 CL450 Resurrection-fork-gaiters-small.jpg

One final note before I sign off for the evening: It is so nice to work on a bike that is clean and does not have a bunch of seized parts and fasteners. Part of the reason it's taken me so long to tackle some of this work is because I was not looking forward to fighting the bike as I tried to remove various parts. To my surprise, every part I've taken off has slipped apart just as it was supposed to, even the master link on the drive chain was off in less then two minutes (I'm used to fighting those things for 15-20 minutes on average). Everything has went back together fairly easily too.
    JamesPal likes this.

Shovel, Bike looks great. Those gaiters will be OK for now. I went through two different after market set before I sprung for the Hm parts. Get that tire on, riding season is near!
    Jim Palmer
    '85 GL1200I (Garage Find)
    '81 GL1100 STD (Project)
    CB450 K5 Done
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...s-cb450k5.html
    What I learned from Restoring a CB450 K5
    Watch Mike and Jim Take on Mt Erie Washington State
    "If everything seems under control you are not going fast enough" Mario Andretti...

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Sponsored Links