74 CL450 Resurrection - Page 3
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 74 CL450 Resurrection

Re: 74 CL450 Resurrection

My new key arrived today. The seat lock popped open like it was new! I'm sure the fact that it's been shot full of PB Blaster for the last week and a half didn't hurt. If it wasn't for family commitments and below freezing temperatures I'd be pulling the engine tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get some time Sunday to get it out and on the bench in the basement.

My next purchase will be a chain breaker so I can get the head off. I looked at the Pro-Motion kit from several sources online. While I'm sure it's a great tool the cost (around $80) seems a bit spendy and I'm worried it might be overkill for this task (I usually remove chain links by grinding one side and tapping them out with a punch, I know that isn't an option in this case). I saw Pro-Motion also makes lighter duty tool with a stamped steel handle for under $30. Does anyone have a recommenation for a reasonably priced tool that will handle the task of removing and re-intalling the timing chain link?
    "It's called a kick start. It's how real men start their motorcycles."

Search through ZNABB's project posts....He shows a bicycle chain tool he modified for that purpose.....Several of us DO grind off the pins with a Dremel........
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Thanks, great price on that tool and nice trick using the bolt so you can mushroom the new link. Are the replacement links still available from Honda or are there after market sources you would recommend?

My bike has been languishing in the carport since I got it home. The weather is freezing and I work and family commitments have prevented me from getting the engine pulled and taken to my work space in the basement.

Currently I'm working on another short term project, cleaning up and repainting our antique sleigh so it can be used for Santa at the local community center Christmas dinner on the 17th. I've been helping with the Santa photos for the past two-years and I've always though they would look better with the sleigh instead of the old chair they've been using.

Below is a photo of the upper part of the sleigh as it looked when I brought it in from our porch. So far I've taken care of the spots where the old paint had started to peel and I'm on my third coat of fresh red paint. It needs at least one more coat then I need to repaint the gold trim and polish the brass and copper. I'm planning to drop it off Tuesday morning, and I'll post a new photo when it's finished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74 CL450 Resurrection-sleigh.jpg  

Now all you need is 8 ice track racers to pull it!
    72 cb500 bobber
    72 cb450 cafe
    06 st.glide

Quote Originally Posted by Znabb
    Thats a cool project. I'm looking forward to a photo of the painted sled.
    Oh - sorry.
    When I saw "sled", I thought you were saying you got a 360.........
    Bill Lane
    No advice, just info

'75 CB200T, '71 CB450 K4 Half-Breed, '72 CL350 (Sold), '81 CM200T, '72 C70M

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cb450-restoration

I've been busy on this project. Removed all the peeling paint, filled the divets, and put on two coats of Rustolium Apple Red paint. Then my wife came home and said she didn't like the paint. Too be honest I wasn't really happy with it either, it was bright fire engine red. So, I went back to the hardware store and got a can of Rustolium Colonial Red paint. I took it to the paint counter and asked them to shake it for me. I got home and put on a coat but was baffled that it was almost impossible to see any difference in the colors (yes, I was using the correct can). The next day I shook up the can a little bit and did a second coat. This time it was not mixed at all and left dark streaks everywhere. I suspect the hardware store put the can in the shaker machine and never turned it on. Today I shook the can very well and put on two more coats that are actually the color they are supposed to be. I also managed to start painting the gold trim. I have two meetings and an interview tomorrow, but I have to get it finished so I can deliver it by 10 a.m. Tuesday.

Here's a photo of progress so far:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74 CL450 Resurrection-sleigh-renovation.jpg  

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links