74 CL450 Resurrection - Page 2
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 74 CL450 Resurrection

Re: 74 CL450 Resurrection

Nice find! A twin to the one I found last spring. Engine is also siezed but never considered anything but a complete teardown anyway. It's in 100 pieces in my garage right now. Luckily, every bolt, nut, and screw on the engine came loose with no problem. Spark plugs, also. Later found a '73 on CraigsList in good, original condition and am having a blast riding it now. Gets more comments and looks than my Electra Glide! Nothing but backroads, though. Gets a little squirrely above 55 mph. I'm 6', 240 lbs and make a pretty good sail. Good titles for both. Got about $625 in the '73 after tires, tubes, battery, and new petcock and gas lines. Put historic plates on it so it costs almost nothing to keep. Got $100 in the '74 and trying to decide whether to keep up with the custom that I started or just use it for parts for the '73. One bit of advice. Don't fixate on getting that old plug out, you'll probably end up pulling the head anyway, and it'll be easier then. Unless it's stopping you from starting the bike, let it go, keep up with the PB Blaster, and worry about it later.
    1972 Honda CL350 project
    2007 HD Electra Glide
    1979 Suzuki GS1000E
    1973 Honda CL450 SOLD and regretting it.
    1974 Honda CL450 in pieces

cl450nut thanks for the advise. I plan on tearing the engine down as soon as I'm able to get it out of the frame. The seat lock is gummed up (I've got it shot full of PB Blaster) so there really isn't much for me to do at the moment except make sure everything has a good dose of penitrating oil.

I spent a few minutes messing with the remains of the plug this morning. It looks like I'm going to need to find some kind of an extention for my extractor. Once in place it only extends as high is the top engine fin. I tried using an 11/32 Craftsman combination wrench on it but the open end is not strong enough and was deflecting. None of my other wrenches will fit between the fins and still allow horizontal movement to turn them. I used to have a couple 8-point craftsman sockets for situations like this (the top of the extractor is square), but I left them in a tool kit that went with my boat when I sold it some time ago. As cl450nut said, it may be easier to get it out once the head is off.

Below is a photo of the thing:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74 CL450 Resurrection-plug-remains.jpg  
    "It's called a kick start. It's how real men start their motorcycles."

Did or can any of the old plug fall in to the piston? I would be careful. Excited to watch the project.
    Ben's 1971 CB450 "Blue Bomber"

"You will never know you're dead, some people don't know they're alive, kick it and twist it!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

It may even be that the plug could be screwed IN instead of out. Not sure of this, but worth a try if all else fails. Might even try carefully heating it, from the underside would probably work wonders. Good luck!
    1972 Honda CL350 project
    2007 HD Electra Glide
    1979 Suzuki GS1000E
    1973 Honda CL450 SOLD and regretting it.
    1974 Honda CL450 in pieces

No real progress to report. I spent part of the day cleaning old projects off my work bench in the basement. I've got to make room for the engine once I'm able to get it out of the frame. It's nice to see the top of my bench again and find all the tools I've been missing.

I still haven't been able to open the seat lock, it's possible the key I was given isn't correct. Since the screw heads are concealed by the seat, I suspect the easiest way of getting it open is to drill it out. Has anyone else done this? I really can't get started with disassembly until I can get the seat open and the tank off.

Wow, a couple of things: don't drill the seat lockout unless you really have to. If your key works the ignition, it must be the correct one. The pins in the tumbler need to align. This means the pins must move with the key. Keep working on it. Go talk to a lock smith. On the spark plug; don't over do it. If the engine is frozen, the cylinders will need to come off. Either let the machinist get it out or file it square and use a 3/8 extension to turn it. Do not damage the head casting. This will be a great bike.
    Jim Palmer
    '85 GL1200I (Garage Find)
    '81 GL1100 STD (Project)
    CB450 K5 Done
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...s-cb450k5.html
    What I learned from Restoring a CB450 K5
    Watch Mike and Jim Take on Mt Erie Washington State
    "If everything seems under control you are not going fast enough" Mario Andretti...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesPal
    Wow, a couple of things: don't drill the seat lockout unless you really have to. If your key works the ignition, it must be the correct one. The pins in the tumbler need to align. This means the pins must move with the key. Keep working on it. Go talk to a lock smith. On the spark plug; don't over do it. If the engine is frozen, the cylinders will need to come off. Either let the machinist get it out or file it square and use a 3/8 extension to turn it. Do not damage the head casting. This will be a great bike.
    Not necesarily. Check the numbers on the seat lock and the igniton and the steering lock if you have one. They should all be the same, but they may have been replaced over the years. There is a couple of people on ebay that sell keys if you have the number. A better option to drilling it out. Then you have to get a new lock and key. I have a key that operates the ignition and seat lock and another that locks the steering.

Good Luck.
    1976 CB360

I have a mistress. She is white, 35 years old, not too fast but fun to ride. She can be very demanding and she sleeps in the garage. My wife approves.

The ignition is missing and the fork look is gummed up as well. I'm not in a big hurry with the project (I have very little free time at the moment). I just went out and checked the numbers on the seat and fork locks, they are both T9879. My key is a T7879. I'll try contacting the previous owner on Monday to see if they have come across any other keys.

I just got on e-bay and found the correct key for $7, shipping was free, so I went a head and ordered it. Easier than bugging the previous owners. The locks should be pretty well lubed up by the time the key gets here. I'll keep watching e-bay while over the course of the winter to see if a matching ignition comes up.

I learned about Honda's numbered keys when I was a kid. I lost the key to my CB125 (I used it as a trail bike). I thought my riding days were over, but my dad and I went down to the Honda dealer, he gave them the lock number, the parts guy went into the store room and came back five minutes later with a new key. I don't remember what it cost, all I cared about was getting back on the bike and going for a ride.

Got my Clymer manual today. It covers Honda 450-500 twins '65-'77. Hopefully I'll get the new key this week so I can get the seat opened up and start taking it apart.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links