Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New (to me) 1978 cb400T Hawk II Project

Hello all,
    I've always been an avid off road rider however recently I decided that I wanted to start riding on the roads for a change. Being a fairly mechanically inclined individual who loves a challenge and a project my hunt began. It stopped when I found this 1978 Honda hawk for $50 on my local craigslist. So an hours drive and it was mine. It was in pieces when I got it but its mostly back together now and running. It also came with 2 rubber made bins of spare parts. It has a couple small issues, a noisy cam chain, the starter spins but not the engine, had no oil pressure when I got it, and the muffler is shot and the tailpipes are missing but all in all it seems to be a decent bike.
    First things first though is the exhaust system as atm I can't hear the engine to tune it over all the noise its making. The Muffler under the bike had a hole in it and was in a bad way so in its place I've clamped in two straight pipes on either side. Now comes my problem. Since the bike never had any pipes when I got it I have no idea how they're supposed to mount and exactly how they are installed. So I was wondering, if any of you who wouldn't mind posting some close up pics of how your tail pipes are mounted for me it would be most appreciated. Additionally if any of you have modified your exhaust to omit the muffler under the bike and use tailpipes only I'd like to know, a) how you did it, b) how it sounds and c) what type of tail pipes you used.
    -cheers, Dude99

P.S. Here's a couple pics of it just after I got it running and before I cut out the rusted muffler.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    1978 Honda cb400T Hawk II

Stephen Lohmeyer,3839 Sun Valley Lane, Roanoke, Virginia 24014 540-525-5199Sixtysixsprint@aol.com

Re: New (to me) 1978 cb400T Hawk II Project

First would be assuring oil flow, then adjust camchain, THEN figure out the exhaust.... The stock chamber/muffler is an important part of the bike's tuning, so expect to "play" with jetting to compensate...... Can't offer any specifics, but a plug 'reading' should tell the tale....

the oil flow issue was the first thing remedied, sorry I didn't make that clear, and the cam chain was adjusted as per the factory service manual but I still think it sounds a little noisy. Of course I don't have anything to compare it to. I've also adjusted the valves. The only reason I'm leaning towards not replacing the muffler is that I have yet to source one locally that was priced what I would call reasonably.

Stephen Lohmeyer,3839 Sun Valley Lane, Roanoke, Virginia 24014 540-525-5199Sixtysixsprint@aol.com

I understand completely about "reasonable' pricing...LOL..........

thanks for the info on the cam chain. I wasn't sure weather it was working properly or not.. I'll have to fiddle with that. So does anyone have any pics of their tailpipes? Specifically how they mount. I was looking through the photo gallery on this site and I saw a bike like mine that had the pipes from a cb250 on it. Looked pretty sharp and it didn't have the H pipe on it. Is this a good solution for mine?

anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by dude99
    anyone?
    I think the problem is going to be that the headers on the Hawk are too short to conveniently attach any other pipe. They're designed to go into that crossover pipe, all 20 lbs of it. I tried that with mine too, and you will need to find someone to create a connector pipe to link the header to the muffler - there's probably a 12 inch gap that you need to fill. And corrugated exhaust pipe just looks, um, tacky.

Otherwise, you're stuck with buying a whole system and saving yourself a few lbs (weight, not currency) in the process. The aftermarket full systems I've seen also do not require rejetting.

I ran my 400 for a 'little' while with just the headers, and actually managed to get teh front end off the ground. It's just a little too loud tho..
    Sometimes it takes more than one tank of gas to start thinking clearly again...

78 cb400TII
    77 cb750f bikeinabox
    01 zrx1200r

thanks for the reply. I have actually already made up some extensions for the headers, I believe they are 9 3\4 in. long so all I need are the tail pipes. Can you point me to a site that sells after market pipes for it? also, do you think you could snap a photo of how your tailpipes mount for me? Mine came without pipes and I have no Idea what they bolt to or how...

I bet if you check your local Craigslist or similar source you might find a pair of take-off Harley sportster mufflers that could be made to work.... for some reason those guys throw away the perfectly good mufflers that come with the bikes and replace them with agonisingly loud pipes.
    ===========
    '05 KLR650
    '85 GL1200 GoldWing
    '82 C70 Passport
    '71 CL175

The pipes come with a built in bracket, so some aftermarket pipes might not fit unless you can weld a bracket to them. I'll try to remember to get pics tonight.

Newer Hawk mufflers fit as well, they're just a little longer. MAC sells replacements too.
    http://www.macperformance.com/store/cat ... ry_ID=1071

Emgo Dunstall replicas would probably work too, as long as the tips fit.
    http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products ... al-muffler

hth.

bk

edit - Hah! These might be nice!! http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/exh ... eplac3.gif
    Sometimes it takes more than one tank of gas to start thinking clearly again...

78 cb400TII
    77 cb750f bikeinabox
    01 zrx1200r

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links