CB200 Cafe Racer
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: CB200 Cafe Racer

CB200 Cafe Racer

Hello,

So I've had this bike kicking around for what must be 4-5 years now. I bought it full of good intentions and of course life got in the way and the bike project of got shelved. The idea is to bring it back to life as a nice little café racer style bike, with some performance upgrades along the way.

I don't know a lot about engines, and am slowly working my way through lots of manuals and online threads. Managed to get the bike running when I first bought it, which is great, then I tore off all the electrics and a few other bits, I have no of course forgotten a lot of stuff probably.

I was/am struggling with where to start to be honest, as most of it is pretty daunting right now. Anyway, I got stuck in on the tank over the last few days and here is where I am up to. I'm hoping to get to work on the frame, forks and wheels next, to start to get towards a rolling chassis and a dry build.

Any advice appreciated!

For me, getting started on it was the hardest part. The end result will be worth the work, though... The first things I did were to get it to the point of getting the bike to start and run. Cleaned the rust out of the gas tank, bought a new petcock and gas cap, cleaned out the carbs and replaced all the gaskets and o-rings in them, and bought a new battery. I squirted some Marvel Mystery Oil in the combustion chambers and on the cam and rockers (through the valve adjustment caps) and let that sit a few days. Then I drained the old oil and refilled it, and it started after sorting out some bad electrical connections. Once I knew it would run without any bad noises, then I concentrated on tires, tubes, brakes, cables, and cosmetics. Of course, there's a lot of stuff I left out of the story, but you get the general idea. I'd guess I spent 130 or 140 hours on it total, and about $550 worth of parts and chemicals.

1969 Honda CL350
    1983 H-D XLX-61 Sportster

That looks AWESOME!

Does anybody know what is the right type of filler to use on a metal tank? There are several bumps that need filled in, and the central dip which used to have leather strip, that I want to fill in. Also, thinking of bashing in some knee dents which will undoubtedly need some filling and tidying up after.

Is it a polyester type stuff that I've seen in the likes of Halfords? Ideally looking for UK buyable products for this

Also, is it a good idea to get the tank blasted?
    Shawn fetter likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

That's a lot of filler... Personally, I'd put the top tank panel back on - it will be a lot less work and it's kind of cafe cool.
    1969 Honda CL350

I hear you, but I don't like it that much, and I cut off the metal tabs already. Any ideas on the filler type?

Didn't think it was that much, I've seen tanks with loads on before, then again, that's not to say they were good examples!
    Shawn fetter likes this.

No, I don't know much about fillers. The last tank I used filer on, I'm pretty sure I used Bondo. It seemed to hold up fine, never cracked or let go. It wasn't a thick application, though, just enough to cover some tank emblem indentions.
    1969 Honda CL350

Guess I'll give something a go and see what happens

Well I've been busy stripping the bike down, cutting bits off the frame and doing some mock ups with a seat unit to see what might be possible. Requires a fairly substantial job at the back of the frame by the looks of things, if I want to keep this particular seat.

That loop you cut off for the seat was a structural element of the frame...
    poor handling and stress cracks will be the result of leaving it off
    CB350 K5 - Uber Café- Engine build 3
    CL350 K4 - Cafe build done waiting on final assembly
    CB350 K0 - Full restoration w/Hondaline bags & fairing
    SL350 K2 - Bubba Shobert flat track build on deck
    CB-1 400F - unrestored mint rider
    2012 Guzzi V7 Racer - Daily Ride

Shortened frame, new bracing, and probably a new subframe. It'll be fine

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links