James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"
Page 1 of 87 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"

Hi all!
    Just joined the club. I'm 57 years old and thought its about time I restored a bike from the period I was most fond of ie. the 60's or 70's. I owned a Yamaha v90 in 76, a Yamaha YB100 in 77 and a Yammy RD200DX in 78. Then marriage happened and no bike till 87 and a Honda CX500 which I liked the most out of all the bikes I had. Sadly that has now departed and I just bought me a CD200 Benly TA with a running engine and lots of rust for £25. Looking forward to stripping and rebuilding it. Doing everything myself because I'm a lowly hospital porter and can't afford powder coating etc. Hope I can keep a regular update going. . . . . . . . . .

Edit 28th June 2016 . . . . . . . Actually while I was owning the CX500 I purchased a rat Suzuki GSX250 for winter work. What a pile of junk that one was . . . . . . . . . . . !

Bike as wheeled into my garage one rainy day in January 2015

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-126.jpg
    James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-124.jpg
    Wheels are in a bit of a state........
    James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-131.jpg
    As is the swing arm. . . . . .
    James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-007.jpg
    Just spent two hours with a drill and wire brush getting rid of some rust and paint off of the frame. You don't half have to lean on the drill to get anywhere! My arms are aching off and I'm frozen stiff!. Well it is still only February. Anyway done about half the frame. Just got a lot of nooks and crannies to do after the other half is wire brushed that I can't get at with the wire brush so its time to buy a bit of emery cloth and start rubbing!

Dave Silver Spares are really good as well. I order stuff and it arrives two days later. Excellent! I got the centre stand and swing arm pivot bolt from them and also the swing arm bushes that kinda melted in my attempts to heat the pivot bolt up to free it off. I ended up cutting the bolt into four pieces to get it out. It was mainly rust it would never have come out in one piece. So I'm ready to build the centre stand and swing arm back up just as soon as the frame is ready. I'm using Aqua Steel for the rust treatment and Davids Zinc 182 primer for the base coat but am undecided on the top coat. PJ1? Engine paint? Not going down the powder coating route as I want to do it all myself. Besides, hospital porters don't earn a lot! Heard bad things about Hammerite so I'm steering clear of that. If anyone knows of a brilliant, hard-wearing paint then please let me know!

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-012.jpg

More pictures soon. My hands are freezing can't feel the camera buttons...............!
    Last edited by james adams; 06-28-2016 at 11:59 AM.
    MDM and terryshort like this.

Welcome to the forum, James. Got any pics of the bike?
    1979 CM400T (rider),
    1981 CM400T (in surgery receiving transplant)
    1982 CM450 (parts bike)
    1982 CB450 (parts bike)
    Past rides: Vincents, Triumph, BSA's, Suzuki's, Twingle, Corgy, others.
    Remember, today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.
    My chest fell, but, fortunately, my belt caught it.
    I don't know everything, nor, have I met the one who does.

T-shirt sales supporting 66Sprint's LSR Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

Welcome!! Where do you hail from?
    Yes we like pics, even pics of your old bikes if you have any.
    Cheers
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson

1970 CB350
    1974 CT70
    1977 XL75
    2005 PW80

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Just updated some matey! Wish I had a heater in the garage!!

I live in a place called Blurton, Stoke-on-Trent Staffordshire and I work at the North Staffs City General Hospital. Now re-named the Royal Stoke. And if I don't warm up soon I'm having a tot or two of whisky!

Sorry I've got no pictures of any of the bikes I owned. They've all been lost to three house moves! But I hope I will make up for it with this one. A digital camera helps a lot!

Welcome to the forum James,we will be enjoying your restoration journey together so feel free to ask us whatever you like

Welcome James, looks like a good start. At only£25 too. Looks like there is still some good metal under the rust, my cb200 swinging arm was full of holes. Keep us posted and let's hope Spring isn't too far away.

Nice to be here! To be honest I thought the swing arm would fall apart at first touch of the wire brush but its held up well. You should see the sorry state the chain case is in! That will fall apart for sure. Feels a touch flimsy to me . . . .!

Glad to meet you. We must be mad ferriting about in this weather fiddling with bikes. Its a good feeling though when you get back inside and warm up and realise that you're actually getting somewhere with it! The hard parts telling the mrs that I already spent over £40 on swing arm pivot and bushes and centre stand pivot bolt. "Is there anything else to spend on?" she asked. "No," I replied. "Only paint. Oh, and front and rear wheel bearings. Sprocket carrier bearings gone as well. And the steering could do with upper and lower taper roller bearings. . . . . ". I'm not very popular at the mo . . . . .!
    Last edited by james adams; 11-05-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Page 1 of 87 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links