James Adams My "CD200 Benly project" - Page 85
Page 85 of 87 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"

I would contact the paint manufacturer as well James with photos of the colour as that is not deep maroon (did it have the colour on the lid to compare for the photo?) You should get your money back or at the least vouchers for some more of their lovely paint!
    Irene

CB200 project bike
    1977 CB200 Olive
    1979 CD185

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-033.jpg James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-032.jpg James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-030.jpg James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-026.jpg

Photographed it in more even light and it's a bit better but I think I'm going to have to revert to the original blue that I cocked up with cheap masking tape or buy a darker shade of 'maroon'.

OK a decision has been made!

Seeing as my wife got on board and helped me to choose the colour I have (which she now hates seeing it on the bike!) she has got together with me (again!) and chosen Rustoleum (again) Deep Claret Wine. Now this is more like what we thought the other one was but when put side by side the one I have looks like bright red so (hopefully) we have the correct one on order now (3 cans!) that will join the 3 cans of red I already have and 4 cans of blue I already have. Anyone want some paint?!
    HondaCB200Lady likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Just put my 'old' red alongside the 'new' red. This is just the companys' approximation of the colours.

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-both.jpg

The 'old' red which is supposed to be maroon looks like red against the 'Deep Claret' on the right. Let's hope the 'new' one doesn't come out looking purple!

Quote Originally Posted by james adams View Post
    Just put my 'old' red alongside the 'new' red. This is just the companys' approximation of the colours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	both.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	167497

The 'old' red which is supposed to be maroon looks like red against the 'Deep Claret' on the right. Let's hope the 'new' one doesn't come out looking purple!
    That still looks like it has a pink tinge, I wouldn't call it maroon.
    Irene

CB200 project bike
    1977 CB200 Olive
    1979 CD185

Difficult to get these colours to show correctly on computer.

When I was a lad, my Dad bought a brand new Austin A60 Cambridge, painted maroon. I used his tin of touch up paint on some of my model cars, lovely colour I thought. Just the job for a bike fuel tank.

It's on this BL colour chart, but doesn't look as good on screen.

Austin Version of BMC Paint Color Codes
    1972 Honda CL175

1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

I know, it is difficult to reproduce on-screen. I was in the printing industry for 37 years and had people giving me colour copies and saying "replicate that". On-screen I would get it spot-on, print a copy out on paper and the colour was miles out! I had to keep on tweaking things until it looked awful on-screen but perfect on the printed page! Weird I know and that's why I'll be worried until I spray something with the paint to see what the 'actual' colour is!

And I bet any money you like that the colour Irene can see displayed on-screen is different to Richards' display and BOTH are different to what I have on my screen. At the printers I could port my work to another terminal and it would look completely different. Oh for the good-old days of Letterpress!
    Last edited by james adams; 05-11-2017 at 02:04 PM.

I've been painting again. Rubbed down the red tank which is TOO red and applied 8 coats of the new deep maroon colour. I seem to have a penchant for painting things three times.

Original tank colour - Honda Grey and Black -

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-grey-black.jpg

Can't remember why this wasn't good enough.

Second colour - Blue and Black -

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-ruined-blue-black.jpg

Ruined by masking tape that just would not come off by any means without removing paint.

Then it was the turn of Deep Maroon, or rather RED!!

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-red-tank.jpg

And now we have the REAL Deep Maroon - I hope!!

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-latest-colour.jpg

Both photo's were taken in the garage in roughly the same light so the comparison is accurate.

It LOOKS a deeper shade. I hope it is when it's outside in the sunshine I'd hate to do it again for a FIFTH time!!!!!!!
    Alex jb and Number13 like this.

I was going to say what was wrong with the first red... then i saw the second red, much nicer!
    Good work James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Alex but as it seems to be my lot in life I have more problems now. The heavy sheet covering the tools on the wall fell down on to my wet paint probably soon after I closed the garage door. The next day I went in and all the right side of the tank is marked by the impact of the sheet on the wet paint.

I think I can wet sand it out but it's going to take a lot of the paint off. As I applied 8 coats I want to be sure it's properly dry before I start sanding so it's up in the box room by the radiator for a week or more! It's annoying about the mess it's made but what's done is done.

Page 85 of 87 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 LastLast

Sponsored Links