James Adams My "CD200 Benly project" - Page 3
Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"

Quote Originally Posted by cchrisbikeone View Post
    I see your project is coming along nicely James. Can hardly wait to see the finished product.
    Thanks for that matey. Just come back from a week in Cornwall so project was on hold for a while. Got a few more days off now so its garage time for me and more fettling!

Quote Originally Posted by bilbikek411 View Post
    Great work James
    Thanks very much. Can't wait to get at it after my hols. Just got back and the lawn is a foot high so I think that comes first. Why do chores and secular work get in our way?!

Looking good James! By the way, I love the way you (very succinctly) expressed the reason why so many of us are members of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by james adams View Post
    I'm 57 years old and thought its about time I restored a bike from the period I was most fond of ie. the 60's or 70's.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by seisdatex View Post
    Looking good James! By the way, I love the way you (very succinctly) expressed the reason why so many of us are members of this forum.
    Which bit, the getting old bit or 60's or 70's?! I must say that when the big four started to do race replicas in the 80's and 90's and beyond I kind of lost interest in new bikes and hankered after the stuff that was out when I was in my teens. I think we are all young at heart and just want to get back to what we enjoyed before we got married and had kids so had to buy a car (a terrible form of transport, though you do keep dry in the wet!) So I found a very rusty Honda CD200 and pulled it to bits without photographing it too much. Doh!! I'm hoping to find something in a barn somewhere. Like a rusty CB 550 or even an old Yamaha YB 100 that I used to ride when I've done this one. Going to ride it around the country lanes when it's done. Probably next summer!!!
    Last edited by james adams; 06-07-2015 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by james adams View Post
    Which bit, the getting old bit or 60's or 70's?! I must say that when the big four started to do race replicas in the 80's and 90's and beyond I kind of lost interest in new bikes and hankered after the stuff that was out when I was in my teens. I think we are all young at heart and just want to get back to what we enjoyed before we got married and had kids so had to buy a car (a terrible form of transport, though you do keep dry in the wet!) So I found a very rusty Honda CD200 and pulled it to bits without photographing it too much. Doh!! I'm hoping to find something in a barn somewhere. Like a rusty CB 550 or even an old Yamaha YB 200 that I used to ride when I've done this one. Going to ride it around the country lanes when it's done. Probably next summer!!!

Its good to see you are realistic on timing...Initially, I though I'd knock my build out in a few months over the fall and winter and be riding by spring. That was 3 years ago (but I did take a one year hiatus from wrenching on the bike).

June 7th 2015

The CD front fork stanchions are a little bit too rusty to use. I didn't want the expense of having them re-chromed yet and besides the metal shrouds that went around them were really pitted with rust and looked too far gone to use so I went to back-up plan B. ie scrounge a pair of good forks off a CM200 from my friend around the corner. Which I duly did! These have a miniscule amount of pitting on the stanchions but not on the part which slides past the fork seals so I dismantled them and gave the sliders a good clean, etch primer, silver paint and laquer and the pictures on page two are the result.

I've bought some chromed brackets to fit at the top of the forks for the headlamp and now I want some indicator stalks to fit the indicators with as I don't like the originals they are too chunky and don't fit properly, even with the original headlamp brackets.

October 1st 2015

Well so much for keeping a regular update! Although I haven't updated since June 7th I've not been idle. Been buying bits, blowlamping, sanding and painting bits and generally making a mess of my bench by forgetting about masking off areas where you don't want the overspray to go. Doh!

First off I stripped the seat and bracket down. They were very rusty and needed a lot of work.

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-002.jpg

Then I sorted the side panels out

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-008.jpg
    James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-011.jpg

The badges are going to be stripped and painted with a black background, then paint the word 'benly' in red then paint the CD200 with a silver paint or chrome paint if I can find one that works!!

Tired of painting I cleaned up the rocker cover and got my polishing mop onto my drill and give it half an hour or so.

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-016.jpg

It needs a bit more work but the result is encouraging

Next up I decided to have a go at nickle plating. I'd read about it on the net so thought I'd have a go. You need some zinc which over here in England seems to be a bit difficult to find but I found a small bucket on Amazon made from zinc so duly bought it and cut it into strips. Got myself a jam jar, some water, epsoms salts, vinegar and zinc chloride and mixed them up. Got two old mobile phone chargers and wired them in parallel to give me the same voltage (6volts) but double the current (500 ma x 2. Oooh! 1 amp!). Filled the jam jar with the home-made electrolite, connected the positive lead to the zinc strip and hooked it over the jar. Then I hunted out my new shouldered side-stand bolt. This is made from steel and would have soon rusted. To plate anything the part has to be free from rust and grease. The part was new so I dipped it in a capful of brick cleaner (sulphuric acid) for a few seconds while it fizzed, then into some water. Connected it by a piece of copper wire to the negative wire, popped it in the solution and switched on. Ten minutes later I pulled it out and it was a uniform dark grey. Five minutes on my buffing wheel and the next picture is the result.

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-068.jpg

Not perfect but it does look as though its been chromed!
    Just got to sort this lot out now!!!!!!

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-071.jpg

I pulled the starter motor off and gave it a quick wipe. Going to paint the endcaps silver and the body black. But first I need to dismantle it and clean it out. Its full of carbon which has mixed with grease to a nice thick paste. Lovely!

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-055.jpg James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-059.jpg

Been busy spending my money too. The following is a sprocket set, some fuel pipe (well I don't want old perished bits of rubber in me nice clean carb jets now do I?) some chrome edging strip (I'ts painted plastic and its to fit around the edge of the tank) and a throttle cable and speedo cable. About 50 quids worth. (Don't tell the Mrs!.

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-029.jpg

Up next are some of the metal bits I've stripped of old paint and rust, treated where the rust was with a good anti-rust solution then etch-primed and painted black.

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-014.jpg

These are engine views as is. Soon (hopefully) to look like a new engine!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-1.jpg   James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-2.jpg   James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-3.jpg   James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-4.jpg   James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-5.jpg  

Last edited by james adams; 10-06-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Been busy!

One very grubby starter motor.

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-055.jpg

And after pulling it to bits, cleaning it out, fitting new brushes, sanding down, etch priming and painting the exterior and putting it back together.

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-003.jpg

It spins quite easily now by hand. Just got to touch up the ends of the bolts that are holding it together. Oh, and I need to find a fibre washer that sits between the first nut and the starter motor body. It kinda broke whilst sanding around it. Doh! Again!

Here's a few of the bits I've finished brandishing a wire-brush/spray-can at.

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-038.jpg James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-041.jpg James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-044.jpg

Not works of art by any stretch of the imagination but 1000% better than they were. The footrest hanger was orange with rust!!

Below is a Suzuki GT380. I include it because this is the paint finish I'm aiming for. I've realised that copying the CB250 elsewhere in this post was a bit too ambitious for me! I have similar chromed false air cleaner panels on mine and the side badges will have 'Benly' painted in red. Black side-panels and a silver tank are not original colours for my model of course but it's a bike to ride and not to bring back to a condition where I daren't go out on it for fear of getting it dirty!! I might re-position the rear indicators where the Suzuki's are as well. At the moment they are either side of the rear lamp and just don't look right there somehow.

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-1977-suzuki-gt380b-main-view-01.jpg

Zinc-plated spokes and nipples were obtained from Central Wheels. They are 5 7/8" Gauge 9 20 inners and 20 outers for a 17 inch rim. The rim was a donated front wheel that had hardly any corrosion as opposed to my rear rim which was well rotted. I cut the hub and spokes out and used it for the rear wheel as they are identical. Lacing it up was fun, I just used my other front wheel as a pattern to copy. As long as you know your outer spoke from your inner spoke all should be well. It took me 40 minutes. Now all I have to do is to true the wheel.I've made a truing stand from some 3 x 1 timber and spun the wheel on it. Surprisingly its not that far out. I tightened the nipples to leave a thread showing on each spoke and its nearly bob on. At least somethings going right!

Had to strip the frame and start again. I painted it with Davids Isopon zinc primer. It didn't stop the rust it just carried on spreading under the paint! And the paint I used was Simonez Tough Paint. Really good, except I used a matt finish and it looks awful! So, stripped it all off and covered the frame with 3 coats of Aquasteel rust converter. Its too cold to spray now so it'll sit covered up until the Spring.

Meanwhile, I worked on the side-panel badges.

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-20151101_222533_hdr.jpg

Now all that's needed is gold paint to be sprayed in a pinstripe around the outer edge and the word 'CD200' sprayed also. Also the square around 'Benly' needs to be sprayed gold too. Masking off is the difficult bit. This is where my childhood airfix model aircraft painting skills come into action . . . . . !

This is the newly re-laced wheel. Needs a bit of a going over with Solvol Autosol methinks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-20151104_130337_hdr.jpg  
    Last edited by james adams; 11-20-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Now then, what next? Oh. Here's a pic of the rear wheel I chopped the hub out of. Look at that rust around the rim! It's in an unbroken line all the way round! Tyre's good though . . . . . . . !

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-072.jpg
    Last edited by james adams; 11-06-2015 at 06:58 AM.

Hello James, it is Graham here just down the road from you in Wombourne, close to Wolverhampton.

Lots of Brits on here pleased to say, and very good progress on your bike.
    I've just joined and started my far rustier CB 175 k6....

Did you lace the wheels or did you go to a pro?

I'm hoping to avoid the trouble and cost of powder paint, so good to see your solution.
    English registered CB 175 K6 1976

Quote Originally Posted by 911hillclimber View Post
    Hello James, it is Graham here just down the road from you in Wombourne, close to Wolverhampton.

Lots of Brits on here pleased to say, and very good progress on your bike.
    I've just joined and started my far rustier CB 175 k6....

Did you lace the wheels or did you go to a pro?

I'm hoping to avoid the trouble and cost of powder paint, so good to see your solution.
    Hi Graham thanks for the interest. Going to be looking out for your progress. Just one thing. PLEASE take photographs as you pull it to pieces else you'll be in trouble! I just pulled mine apart and didn't stop till I had a bare frame and a pile of bits. Now I have the enviable task of finding out what little rubber thingy goes with which bolt and where! Just started pulling the covers off the engine and I am most definitely taking pictures now!

As to your question about the rear wheel I laced it up myself with spokes bought from Central Wheels. I bought two sets as I am re-spoking the front wheel soon as well. There's a video on youtube by Oakeys Garage that does a how-to. It wasn't difficult. I tightened the spokes up till just a couple of threads were showing then made a truing stand out of wood and checked for trueness and its barely a mill out. Beginners luck?!

I'll be spraying the frame come spring or sooner if I can heat the garage up with summat! Simonez Tough Paint is what Iv'e used and it does look the business on the smaller frame parts.

Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links