James Adams My "CD200 Benly project" - Page 2
Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"

Cheers for that! I know one thing I'm going to fall down on big time and that's the wiring loom. I wrote down all the little conections but guess what? I lost the paper I wrote it on. I think the wind blew it away. How hard can it be? Several block connectors and that's it! Oh, and a few odd wires by each connector. Cable routings got forgotten as well. And how do the rear lights work when they are earthed to a fibre-glass replacement rear mudguard? Yes I think I might need a load of help!
    Shawn fetter likes this.

THAT reason is why we recommend documenting a build with pictures. Some things I didn't capture on a camera, I was lucky enough to find from some other member's build log. Not too late to start that. I still do it because I can't trust this old melon like I used to......LOL
    ctrider and Shawn fetter like this.
    1979 CM400T (rider),
    1981 CM400T (in surgery receiving transplant)
    1982 CM450 (parts bike)
    1982 CB450 (parts bike)
    Past rides: Vincents, Triumph, BSA's, Suzuki's, Twingle, Corgy, others.
    Remember, today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.
    My chest fell, but, fortunately, my belt caught it.
    I don't know everything, nor, have I met the one who does.

T-shirt sales supporting 66Sprint's LSR Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html

I know. I had every intention of photographing everything but you know how it is. You whip open the garage door and dive in then think oh! Where's me camera? Take a look at your dirty mits, shrug and carry on! I now have some disposable gloves so its do some work, remove gloves, take piccies, put more gloves on and carry on. Simples. Only if I remember to take the camera in with me. . . . . . . .!
    Shawn fetter likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Hey James welcome to the group from a fellow Brit and ex hosp[ital worker. Now in medical sales. and Hondas by definition. Your bike looks pretty whole I'm looking forward to seeing you restore it.
    Nige
    Donate to 66Sprint's LSR Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html and http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...r-attempt.html
    CB450K0 Bomber 1967
    CB650Z 1978

Quote Originally Posted by nigelrharris03 View Post
    Hey James welcome to the group from a fellow Brit and ex hosp[ital worker. Now in medical sales. and Hondas by definition. Your bike looks pretty whole I'm looking forward to seeing you restore it.
    Hi matey! Yes it's all there all right. A lot of what's there is rust. I had to smack the centre stand with a hammer to get it to retract before I pushed the bike home from where I bought it (Only 300 yards!) it was siezed that badly. The carry rack is getting thrown along with the chromed front mudguard. The metalwork has rotted through between the forks and is almost solid rust everywhere else! The tank, side panels, head surround and gaiters are all getting a paint job by yours truly, that's if I can get the rust off from the inside of the gaiters. And don't even ask if I've got the chromed shroud off of the badly oxidised forks yet! The badges are getting an uplift too with some red enamel paint for the word 'Benly' on the side panels and some chrome spray paint over a gloss black background. All this is way in the future. Still got to finish wire brushing the frame! Starting at 14:30 tomorrow after my 06:00-14:00 hospital shift!

Good luck Take your time and dont rush anything, thats where mistakes are made. There is lots of helpful advice here just ask
    Nige
    Donate to 66Sprint's LSR Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html and http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...r-attempt.html
    CB450K0 Bomber 1967
    CB650Z 1978

Quote Originally Posted by nigelrharris03 View Post
    Good luck Take your time and dont rush anything, thats where mistakes are made. There is lots of helpful advice here just ask
    Thanks matey I'll remember that!. Not rushing really I've managed an hour today and done a bit more wire brushing the frame. Its getting nearer the time when I stop tearing down and start to actually put the thing back together again! Starting with some primer and a good topcoat. Anyone know any good paint, brush on or rattle can?
    James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-002.jpg

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-007.jpg

Had a quick go at the chain case. . . . . .

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-010.jpg

Is that a hole. . . .? What to do with that I wonder?

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-021.jpg

Well not much more to report really. Wire brushed a load more paint/rust/steel off of the frame. Trying to work out how to attach my drill to the work horse so I can wire brush the sub frame and various bits of metal like the battery carrier and rear license plate holder without having to keep chasing round the garage after the part. Or I could lock down the steel piece to the horse? My brain sometimes amazes me! Weekend coming up. Got to go looking at tiles with the mrs for the new bathroom she's planning. Hope she doesn't encroach on the money I have set aside for the rebuild else we have a conflict of interest/importance/priority. I mean, what's more important than bringing a 1980 Honda twin back to life? A nice place to bath yourself? A power shower? Italian tiles? I don't think so. Give me wire brushing an old Honda twins frame any day of the week!!

5th March 2015
    Sorted the paint-stipping problem. Got the blowlamp out and burnt the paint off all the metal bits. Worked a treat as it was a thin top coat with no primer in most places and just shrivelled up and fell off the metal. Result!

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-one-stripe-blue.jpg

The above is going to be the colour of the bike and the tank design too. Yes I know its a CB250 but I like the design so I'm going to nick it for my bike. Prime the tank, spray it with the main colour. Mask off the main area and spray the rest white. Then mask off the pinstripes and spray the rest black. Sounds easy doesn't it? Back to reality I still have to finish stripping the frame. I can dream can't I? It's what its going to look like when we've finished with it that keeps us going!

10th March 2015
    Not much to report. Sorted out a few brackets for the wire brush/nitromors/flame thrower/or whatever works treatment. Decided to strip and clean the carb and not wanting to go out in my windy drive today I set myself up in the box room. Don't tell the Mrs! Cleaned up lovely it did too. Strangely the float height was set at 16.5mm and the circlip on the main jet needle was right at the top. It must have been a very weak mixture. Can't imagine how the engine would have run but I reset the float height to 12.5mm and plonked the circlip in the middle groove anyway where it should be. Only time will tell when it all goes back together again whether or not I'm going to have trouble!

30th March 2015
    Well I've done a lot of priming and also a lot of spending! Centre stand pivot shaft, swing arm pivot shaft, swing arm bushes, rear shocks, taper roller head bearings and VHT paint for the frame! Cost a pretty penny too! Oh well I will have these hobbies! Got some pics but got trouble uploading will post when I can get it to work. Anyone out there in good old Britain that knows where I can get a set of front forks from? Mine are a bit beyond saving with the dreaded iron oxide!

1st April 2015
    Just a quick question anyone. Would I be right in thinking that if I bought a spoke and nipple set for the front wheel of a 1969 CB175 that they would also fit the rear wheel of a 1980 CD200 TA Benly? I think they would fit but does anyone out there actually know?

5th April 2015
    Bought Autotec etch primer and Simonez silver to paint the hubs with. Got a spare front wheel off a friend that I have plans for (The wheel not the friend!) . . . . . .

11th April 2015
    So up to now I've cut the rear hub out of the rear wheel and cut the front hub out of the spare front wheel. Some nice shiney zinc plated spokes and nipples are on their way to re-lace the rear hub into the spare front rim. Both rims are identical so should have no problems bar truing the wheel up in a home-made truing stand made from 2x1 timber and using a plastic straw as a pointer and the wheel pivot to place the wheel on. From the same friend I got two front legs that are rust-free so between the four legs I should be able to produce two good legs. As long as I keep the springs paired I should be ok. So now I have a spare front hub! Got pictures to upload soon have to fiddle about with them they're too large and pressed for time at the moment.

One tired rear wheel with the hub cut out

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-072.jpg

Second-hand rim. Not too shabby either.

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-073.jpg

Treated the rust on the inside of the rim

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-074.jpg

Old wheel hub and brake backplate stripped of paint, bearings, brake linkage and linings then etch primed, painted silver and sprayed with laquer.

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-058.jpg

Blatent product placement. These are what I have used up to now. The petrol resistant laquer is for when I paint the tank. Up to date I am really pleased with the results.

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-065.jpg

Comparison of an original fork slider and the one that I've stripped, etch primed, painted silver and laquered up.

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-053.jpg

Close ups of the fork slider. Not too bad if I do say so myself! I've sprayed over the drain plug on purpose. When I replaced fork oil in the past I took the fork leg off and drained it through the top nut.Much more efficient at getting all the oil out!

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-069.jpg

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-068.jpg

Frame painted and steering head bearings replaced with upper and lower yokes fitted

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-071.jpg

Box full of remaining bits! Well, some of them anyway. The tank and side panels are safe in a cupboard. Headlight and indicators and a few odds and ends are in a bucket somewhere!

James Adams My "CD200 Benly project"-066.jpg

The rear spokes were well past it and so was the rim. I had a donated spare front wheel so I cut the hub out of it and removed the spokes. Result, one nice shiney second-hand rim that's in good condition. Then I cut the rear hub out and binned the rest. Painted the hub and mean to lace it to the spare front rim to use on the rear. They are both identical rims so no worries there. My worry is lacing the zinc plated spokes on myself and then truing the wheel. Yikes!

In the to-do list at the moment is clean up and paint the rear sprocket carrier and fit its new bearing. The old one was rattling about in its housing without restraint! New rear hub bearings have to be pressed in to the rear hub then refit the brake cam, brake shoes and operating arm, after first painting said arm a nice gloss black I think. Then its time for refitting the swing-arm, the bushes have already been replaced. Then fit the sprocket carrier to the swing-arm and fit the rear wheel, rear shocks and sub frames along with the newly painted centre-stand. Then its almost a rolling chassis, apart from the front forks and front wheel . . . . . . .!
    Last edited by james adams; 11-20-2015 at 05:01 PM.
    Shawn fetter likes this.

I'm sure I should have done the engine first but in that case I'd have nowhere to hang it when finished! Crankcase seal has gone so that means probably the gearchange seal has gone too. Going to have to strip the engine whether I want to or not. Never even had a rocker cover off before. Now this is going to be interesting . . . . . . . . . . . . !

I see your project is coming along nicely James. Can hardly wait to see the finished product.

Great work James

Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links