1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor

1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor

Drove 2 hours to pick up my new Bomber on Wednesday. It was better than expected, literally looks like it has never been washed though. Good for me, because the seller's lack of washing plus poor pictures plus non-existent Ebay description (and probably the time of year) meant that I ended up getting a steal of a deal on what should have been a $4000-$4500 bike all day long.

The bike was purchased from the original owner who purchased it in '66 for the princely sum of $800. The bike has always been garaged and it shows. It hit 50 degrees today so I decided to take her around the block a few times

It appears to be stock except for the grips, battery, Buco saddlebag mounts, and the luggage rack. The mounts will be gone as soon as I have the time, but the rack will probably be useful. Even the tires appear original but I don't know what tires these came with stock.

Problem areas:
    Front fender has some damage along the leading edge. Looks like someone bumped it up against something.
    Mirrors are missing.
    Speedo/tack trim ring has a dent.
    The tank chrome on the left side has one tiny dent.
    Tank badges have the typical spider-web cracking.
    Tail light is missing a screw.
    Seat latch knob is missing.
    Seat hinges are cracked. They are still holding but I'm probably going to end up buying some of the repros.

Overall I'm ecstatic. Once the bike is cleaned up, I think it will be too nice to restore. I think I'll just stick with cleaning and polishing and ride the dickens out of it next spring

I'm glad I bid on it sight-unseen. I was willing to risk the wrath of Ebay and the seller if I had shown up and it had been worse than expected. I would have just walked away.

Here's some photos of it dirty. I guess I shouldn't rag on the seller for the bad photos as my photos are no great shakes either.

1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor-img_2783.jpg

1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor-img_2786.jpg
    Last edited by Shinchan; 12-05-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    MDM, buster, Stou and 1 others like this.
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

Wow !! Great find. Now clean it up and show us more pics! hehe
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson

1970 CB350
    1974 CT70
    1977 XL75
    2005 PW80

Absolutely awesome!!! Congratulations again, you got a fantastic purchase there. All the stars kinda aligned, that is a sign of good karma ; ) We must ride together soon!!!!

MomoMoto

'72 K5 CL450
    '66 K0 CB450

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

MDM
    Get some tires on it that are younger than I am, lol.

Motorcycle looks awesome and I'm glad to read that you'll be riding it like Honda intended instead of sticking it on a display stand somewhere.

Regards,
    -MDM (Mountain Dew Maniac)
    1982 CB450SC (Custom Blue Color )

You can lead a horse to water - but smart people ride them.
    "Friends don't let friends read Clymer manuals."
    Friends also never, ever, EVER... call friends "dude."
    "If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat." - Unknown

yeah, the tires will be the first things to get swapped in the spring. I feel safe on them for now just tooling around the subdivision. I'm not going to see too many more 50+ degree days between now and April...
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

While you have the time you might browse through this for some ideas on how to spend your winter:

Basic Checklist for that New to You old Bike
    JT
    81 CM400T Under re-construction
    82 GL500

Supporting Member mighty daniel's Avatar
    I thought that auction was undervalued; nice score. I have the repro hinges on my bomber, and give them the thumbs up. Same guy also makes a seat latch (minus the knob), and a bunch of other rubber bits that are of the same good quality. Happy riding!

mighty daniel, if you are referring to CSM I bought some CA95 tank insulators from him a few months ago and couldn't be happier with the quality. Unfortunately, what's actually missing is the knob. The rest of the assembly is there, I just don't have a knob to keep it closed.

If you are referring to another outfit, where did you get yours?
    Last edited by Shinchan; 12-05-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

Doing some "clean up" while the snow is here. I can't call any of this "restoration" or my wife will kill me.

First up are the tank badges. Some of the black background was washed away with gas spills (pretty common for these types of badges, my CA95 had the same issue). Since the black and gold are applied from the backside it was just a simple matter of getting out the modelling acrylic and repainting the black on the back. It's not perfect by any means but it's definitely an improvement. You can see in the last picture where the new paint meets the old, slightly faded paint but it's good for a 10-foot bike.

I still need to polish the plastic on the front side, then they will be good to go.

Before:

1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor-img_2826.jpg
    1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor-img_2827.jpg

And after:

1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor-img_2900.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor-img_2901.jpg  
    momomoto and ctrider like this.
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

Here's the "finished" tank. Still has some bumps and scrapes, but not bad for an original 50 year-old tank.

Took everything off of it, used polishing compound and wax on the paint, polished the chrome and repainted the background on the badges, and then reassembled.

1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor-img_2938.jpg

1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor-img_2939.jpg
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links