1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor

Gordon

If you're looking for a perfect set of side covers, I just had a set restored and painted Honda Black by Marbles Motors. They're perfect. Ad is in parts for sale, but here's a picture.

Gordon

'89 GB500, '74 CB350F, '71 CB450, '68 CB450, '68 CB77, '66 CB160, '64 CA95, '76 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, '81 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza, '79 Moto Guzzi 254,

Quote Originally Posted by Shinchan View Post
    I'll keep you posted, I haven't had time to get them mounted yet (30 minute drive, then 2 hour wait, then 30 minute drive back). All riding/troubleshooting so far has been under 35 and around the neighborhood.
    What size did you go with for front and rear?
    The old tires on mine are 3.25-18 (front) 4.00-18 (rear)

The K34 matches my front and K36 matches my rear...

3.25 on the front and 3.5 on the rear. Got them mounted today, but of course I have some other issues to deal with like replacing some leaking seals/gaskets on the left side, draining the front shocks and putting in new seals and putting on a new chain. Soon...
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Finally got everything buttoned back up. Unfortunately one of the fork seals is still leaking. Fork tube seems straight and is very smooth/no pitting. Maybe I got a bad seal?

New chain is on, leaking clutch rod seal is replaced, left engine cover was leaking as the PO used sealant as a replacement gasket. Scraped all of it off and replaced with a new gasket and that leak is gone. Still have a slight leak at the stator cover even with a new gasket and smooth mating surfaces, but I'll live with it for now.

The Heidenau tires are amazing, huge difference from the old, hard tires. Great grip and nice cornering. The tread style also beats the old parallel groove tires that were on the front which wandered all over the place on grooved pavement. Granted, the inaugural run was at sub-55 speeds, but I'm totally happy with the tires. Well worth the money (even though at ~$200/pair I didn't think they were all that expensive anyway).

The plan now is to make daily trips further out each time while I get everything dialed in, then once I'm confident in the mechanicals it's off on some of the nice, scenic rides that northern Colorado has to offer!
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

I know when I installed the first set of fork seals on my 450 I managed to nick one putting it in and didn't see it until it started leaking. Learned to be very careful (again) about putting them in.

Where is the leak coming from the stator? Had a sort of the same issue, turned out to be the o-ring on the bottom bolt was cracked.
    Franz >>> 450 build >>>360 Build

I was suuuuper careful when I put the forks back together since the seals are stupidly expensive. It's not spraying out or anything, just a 1/2 teaspoon while it was parked. If the weather takes a turn for the worse for a few days I'll break it back down.

It's leaking on the bottom edge where the stator cover meets the engine cover. Again not enough to worry about right now cause the weather is nice and I'm going to RIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by frogman79 View Post
    I know when I installed the first set of fork seals on my 450 I managed to nick one putting it in and didn't see it until it started leaking. Learned to be very careful (again) about putting them in.

Where is the leak coming from the stator? Had a sort of the same issue, turned out to be the o-ring on the bottom bolt was cracked.
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

Quote Originally Posted by Shinchan View Post
    Here's the "finished" tank. Still has some bumps and scrapes, but not bad for an original 50 year-old tank.

Took everything off of it, used polishing compound and wax on the paint, polished the chrome and repainted the background on the badges, and then reassembled.

Attachment 51701

Attachment 51702
    Very clean... what is waxing that you using?

Just automotive rubbing compound followed by polishing compound followed by turtle wax. It does a good job with the fine scratches but for deep scratches I think it makes them look a little worse.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwei View Post
    Very clean... what is waxing that you using?

1966 CB450K0 daily rider

Well I jinxed myself, got stranded 2 miles from home this afternoon. Field verified that I had spark on both cylinders, unlikely that both carbs decided to stop delivering fuel at the same time. May be a timing issue as I had some backfiring when attempting to start. I hope to god it's not a valve or cam issue...

Also, the fork leak is not coming from the seal, it's actually coming from the bottom of the lower fork cover. I fear it may have a hairline fracture, and it's hella hard to find someone willing to sell a single lower cover with good fender mounts...
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

Well, I found out why I got stranded:

1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor-img_1572.jpg

After checking everything else, I discovered that the PAMCO rotor had come completely loose, the bolt was backed almost all the way out. On further investigation I found that the key on the cam had fallen out completely. Not sure if the loose rotor knocked the key out or if the key fell out first enabling the rotor to spin freely and work loose. The key went back in but it seems kinda loose so I'll locktite the daylights out of it and hope it stays put...

Has anyone else had this issue with the PAMCO rotor? It doesn't come with any kind of lock washer, just a flat washer which seems like it would be prone to working loose since it's holding on a part that spins as fast as the engine...
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links